Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassio

Quote from: BorisG on May 01, 2008, 02:05:55 PM
Argerich, Zimerman?

In your opinion:

The first Zimerman or the second Zimerman?

Also, which Argerich?

BorisG

Quote from: bassio on May 02, 2008, 11:53:34 AM
In your opinion:

The first Zimerman or the second Zimerman?

Also, which Argerich?

I did not initially distinguish because I like all the performances.

I do, however, prefer the newest for each. Zimerman with his Polish ensemble, and Argerich with Dutoit. The piano playing remains consistently fine, but this time each are afforded exemplary sound.

George

Quote from: BorisG on May 02, 2008, 12:49:20 PM
... Argerich with Dutoit. The piano playing remains consistently fine, but this time each are afforded exemplary sound.

I second this recommendation.

I'd also check out a chamber version of this work, bassio, at the moment it is my preferred way to hear these works.

ezodisy

There are many wonderful recordings of these works, though your options of course will be severely narrowed if you only go for modern sound quality and popular names.

BorisG

Quote from: ezodisy on May 02, 2008, 02:50:48 PM
There are many wonderful recordings of these works, though your options of course will be severely narrowed if you only go for modern sound quality and popular names.

The popular names are the likes of Li & Lang. There is no limitation with Zimerman & Argerich. And good sound is always a bonus. ;)

ezodisy

sorry but no matter how good they are, Zimerman and Argerich are popular names too, and the limitation here is gigantic. At one point I owned several dozen recordings of each work and I can only cringe that these two names get mentioned over and over again. In fact it's exactly the same as mentioning 'Li & Lang', the only difference is that these 2 in comparison are more of the journalist's darlings.

The wish for good sound is something that listeners eventually grow out of, thank goodness. I'm happy to point to George as the perfect example here (good to see you recommend the E. Fischer WTC before).

And the Dutoit conducting is dead limp, BTW.

FideLeo

Is Samson Francois a better proposition here?  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

ezodisy

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 03, 2008, 12:48:16 AM
Is Samson Francois a better proposition here?  :)

Both of his recordings will divide opinion but there's no doubt they are unique in conception and execution (the piano sound is interesting IMO). I would definitely recommend them -- the budget EMI box of Francois' Chopin is essential for any Chopin colllection and it includes his second recording of these pieces. Out of his two recordings the earlier one is slightly preferable but unfortunately has never received the remastering it deserved.

I think there's a separate disc of Francois playing these works (EMI GROC?) but it's the box that is worth going for as his strong point in Chopin mostly lies elsewhere (the Nocturnes, some of the waltzes, some people say the Preludes and etudes, and for me Ballade 1).

BorisG

Quote from: ezodisy on May 03, 2008, 12:41:12 AM
sorry but no matter how good they are, Zimerman and Argerich are popular names too, and the limitation here is gigantic. At one point I owned several dozen recordings of each work and I can only cringe that these two names get mentioned over and over again. In fact it's exactly the same as mentioning 'Li & Lang', the only difference is that these 2 in comparison are more of the journalist's darlings.

The wish for good sound is something that listeners eventually grow out of, thank goodness. I'm happy to point to George as the perfect example here (good to see you recommend the E. Fischer WTC before).

And the Dutoit conducting is dead limp, BTW.

Cringe away! ;D

bassio

Quote from: George on May 02, 2008, 02:29:34 PM
I second this recommendation.

I'd also check out a chamber version of this work, bassio, at the moment it is my preferred way to hear these works.

Hey George, you read my mind, indeed I am certainly waiting for this experience, so recommendations are welcome.  :)
Although I know that these recordings are still not available as other famed recordings and are thus more difficult to obtain.

And I think this will suit the simple orchestral writing of Chopin in these works and I believe this is what he had in mind, given the anecdotes we had of him that he couldn't play in large concert halls where his piano sound may have been "drowned". I also wonder if a "Pleyel" of his favorite is used. Certainly many recordings will appear in the future.

Anyway, I am always fond of Zimerman's pianism but the approach in his second recording does not do it for me, although I salute the innovation, but unfortunately I find it excessive, the older one is safe though.

I also assume  that you heard Hofmann's mind-boggling accounts. not to be missed. There is also one of No.2 by Haskil which is excellent too, I believe was with Markevitch. Cortot in no.2 also but with dated sound.

Hmm .. I can't think of other recommendations for now.

I will relisten to the Argerich, I only have one account of her in this concerto, can't remember who the conductor is.

George

Quote from: bassio on May 04, 2008, 09:58:32 AM
Hey George, you read my mind, indeed I am certainly waiting for this experience, so recommendations are welcome.  :)
Although I know that these recordings are still not available as other famed recordings and are thus more difficult to obtain.

It's a female asian pianist and it's dirt cheap on eclassical. I forget the name, sorry.

rubio

I see this Malcuzynski 2 CD EMI Artist Profile is available from Arkiv Music. Is it recommendable? Are there any other great Malcuzynski recordings? On which label?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

ezodisy

Malcuzynski was a unique interpreter of many coposers -- Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Brahms and others. He has a highly distinctive style and he studied under the same teacher as Maryla Jonas (with those inimitable Chopin mazurkas) and Halina Czerny-Stefanska, namely Josef Turczynski. Unfortuantely I don't think that that set is the most illuminating or convincing from him. Sometimes he could sound quite stodgy, especially in studio or later on in life, and there are quite a few times in this set that point that up. There are some good pieces in there, it would probably depend how much you could get it for. In the end though it is not exactly inspirational Chopin.

However there is another 2CD set on Disky, which was licensed from EMI, that contains Chopin (sonata 2, 4 ballades, polonaises) and Rachmaninoff's PC3. If you can find that then buy it immediately -- it has some amazing playing, not least in the Rachmaninoff concerto that is quite sensational. Actually quite recently there was a release of Malcuzynski's earlier  recording (I think) of the Rachmaninoff concerto so if you're a big fan of that piece then it certainly would be worth acquiring. On Aura there is a Malcuzynski disc that captures one of his recitals -- it has a remarkable Chopin etude op. 10/12, the socalled Revolutionary, which like Ginzburg's op. 25/11 is quite special for the sensitive moments brought out within the storm.

rubio

Thank you for the detailed comment, ezodisy. I found the Disky 2CD set for £5.85 so I snapped it up.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

ezodisy

Yeah that's the one, great value in my opinion -- the second sonata is unique, unlike anyone elses. Good things all around in there. One unfortunate incident which I'm sorry for not mentioning is that some of the Disky sets had accidentally left out the finale of the Rachmaninoff PC 3 -- even though it was listed as included on the back. AFAIK it's impossible to tell whether the set includes it or not until you've heard it, so hopefully that one does.

orbital

Quote from: George on May 04, 2008, 12:44:28 PM
It's a female asian pianist and it's dirt cheap on eclassical. I forget the name, sorry.
Fumiko Shiraga. And it is indeed a beautiful performance. It actually prompted me to get the other two available chamber versions neither of which are as successful. Fialkowska who was Rubinstein's favorite pupil (and possibly more) and Drewnowski. If you want to experience the concerti in a new light (i.e. even more focus on the piano  >:D ) Shiraga on BIS is the one to go for.

George

Quote from: orbital on July 01, 2008, 01:05:29 AM
Fumiko Shiraga. And it is indeed a beautiful performance. It actually prompted me to get the other two available chamber versions neither of which are as successful. Fialkowska who was Rubinstein's favorite pupil (and possibly more) and Drewnowski. If you want to experience the concerti in a new light (i.e. even more focus on the piano  >:D ) Shiraga on BIS is the one to go for.

That's good to know, as I don't very much care for the orchestrated version.

Drasko

Is anyone familiar with Eldar Nebolsin recording of Chopin's first concerto (Deutsche-Symphonie Orchester/Ashkenazy - Decca)? Just saw it at second hand shop but didn't pick it up, no particular reason. Worth checking? 

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on July 31, 2008, 10:34:20 AM
Is anyone familiar with Eldar Nebolsin recording of Chopin's first concerto (Deutsche-Symphonie Orchester/Ashkenazy - Decca)? Just saw it at second hand shop but didn't pick it up, no particular reason. Worth checking? 

A ha, that's the chap with those Rachmaninoff Preludes on Naxos which are considered so good by some over at RMCR (apparently very personal readings). He'll be in London this December so I'll go and see him if I remember to check the dates (which I probably won't). His webiste has a picture of him with Bashkirov, and if he studied with him then he's bound to be somewhat interesting.

Drasko

Quote from: ezodisy on August 02, 2008, 09:47:02 AM
A ha, that's the chap with those Rachmaninoff Preludes on Naxos which are considered so good by some over at RMCR (apparently very personal readings).

Yes, that's him, though Chopin Concerto is from 10-12 years ago. How personal at that age probably questionable.