Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 02:02:01 AM
If you mean Chopin's 3rd, than definitely no, you haven't sent it. There is poor sounding '83 recording from Japanese TV on youtube, so I thought it could have been a radio broadcast as well.

sorry I didn't realise you meant only the 3rd sonata. Don't know of any other recordings though they must exist somewhere. I like the fantasia (nice one) just fine, and you get an extra repeat in the Largo, how generous  :)

rubio

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 01:25:04 AM
Don't know which are those but in 1931 3rd I have he is superb, typical Cotrot in his effortless rightness in spite of not so perfect tehnique.

The Naxos Historical one is from 1933. Is the 1931 3rd in the EMI box set?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

George

Quote from: donwyn on January 21, 2009, 09:35:28 PM
For high poetry, beauty of tone, and the most exhilarating accents, Moravec is king.

Thanks for the heads up on that CD, I hadn't heard of it before. I just grabbed the last copy from amazon.us.  8)

George

Quote from: rubio on January 22, 2009, 02:46:59 AM
The Naxos Historical one is from 1933. Is the 1931 3rd in the EMI box set?

That is correct. The Naxos is a better transfer for all 5 volumes, with clearer sound.

Herman

The interesting thing of those Moravec Scherzos is that he somehow maintains a classicist bandwidth in these pieces. I like this cd better than his nocturnes or his preludes. I remember picking it up from a used bin for two bucks or so, lang time ago.

rubio

Quote from: George on January 22, 2009, 02:58:58 AM
That is correct. The Naxos is a better transfer for all 5 volumes, with clearer sound.

Which performance do you prefer Cortot's Chopin Sonatas 2 and 3? Is the best performance included in the Naxos volumes?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Renfield

Quote from: rubio on January 22, 2009, 05:07:43 AM
Which performance do you prefer Cortot's Chopin Sonatas 2 and 3? Is the best performance included in the Naxos volumes?

1931 for the latter, beyond doubt. It is, in fact, my favourite recording of the 3rd Sonata in general - though I also admire Arrau's.

The 2nd Sonata from the Naxos disc is, however, worth (more than) the asking price alone. :)

Incidentally, (George)

I haven't forgotten about posting my view on Naxos vs. EMI Cortot remasterings, I've just not had the time to unertake the enterprise. ;)

And as for Rubinstein vs. Richter in Chopin, the obvious answer is "Cortot".

George

Quote from: rubio on January 22, 2009, 05:07:43 AM

The (5) Naxos volumes are made up of mostly previously unreleased Cortot Chopin recordings. That was the aim of Mark Obert Thorn, who did the transfers, splendidly I might add. I really think that his efforts are well worth supporting and the disks are really cheap over at MDT. I am told that the current sale over there is over in a few days, so I wouldn't wait long to grab them.   

I haven't compared the two performances of 3 yet, sorry.   

George

Quote from: Renfield on January 22, 2009, 06:02:25 AM
Incidentally, (George)

I haven't forgotten about posting my view on Naxos vs. EMI Cortot remasterings, I've just not had the time to unertake the enterprise. ;)

No worries I have since obtained everything, the EMI box, the Naxos 5 CDs, the EMI remaster of the 1933 preludes, the GPOTC set (from the library.)  0:)

And as for Rubinstein vs. Richter in Chopin, the obvious answer is "Cortot".

;D

I'm liking Gekic more and more. I hope he keeps releasing CDs. I just got the Chopin recital from 1989? last night in the mail.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 01:25:04 AM
Although I love the way he accents (or is it accentuates?) 4th Ballade, for most exilarating accents Gekic or Cziffra come to my mind before Moravec.

Quote from: ezodisy on January 22, 2009, 01:46:31 AM
Gekic, Cziffra and Natan Brand. There was only one time I associated the word exhilarating with Moravec and that was after hearing his live Prokofiev PC 1 which is utterly diabolical (in a good way).

It might be just a semantics thing. In the context of "high poetry" and "beauty of tone" I meant 'exhilarating' to mean simply 'moving'. Perhaps "shimmering" accents might have been more appropriate. At least for the disc in question.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

I think I must be alone in my admiration for Horowitz's chopin.

I know it isn't  exactly patrician. I know it's highly idiosyncratic. He plays to the the 1/9ds maybe.

But he is such a commanding master of the piano that I find him irresistable -- even in the Mazurkas -- which are especially strange.

Is there really no-one who will keep me company in a Horowitz-Chopin fan club?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 22, 2009, 07:37:11 AM

Sorry.  :(

Renfield

I think I must be alone in my admiration for Horowitz's chopin.

You're not. The fact that I prefer Cortot doesn't mean I don't admire Horwitz. :) Along with Arrau and Richter, Horowitz occupies the third place in my personal Chopin "pianist preference ranking", with Rubinstein second, and Cortot very comfortably first.

(If you'll excuse the rather disingenuous sporting analogy. It's not like they all raced against each other, for a ranking to be possible!)

Dr. Dread

I have a Horowitz Chopin disc. It's on Naxos. I'll have to spin it again soon.

Drasko

Not in a fan club but I can like him in some of the larger Polonaises, 1st Scherzo and few bits an pieces here and there, lovely op.69/1 waltz on RCA. But generally I vastly prefer him in Scriabin, Rachmaninov or Schumann, somehow I get the feeling he really enjoyed playing with Chopin, but as usual with playing, quite often dolls lose their heads in the process.

George

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 08:44:05 AM
But generally I vastly prefer him in Scriabin, Rachmaninov or Schumann, somehow I get the feeling he really enjoyed playing with Chopin, but as usual with playing, quite often dolls lose their heads in the process.

Very well put. I love his Rachmaninov, Sciabin and Schumann and I will add Scarlatti.

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 08:44:05 AM
but as usual with playing, quite often dolls lose their heads in the process.

lol!

Dr. Dread

Did anyone ever do a favorite Chopin recordings by type (nocturnes, ballades, etc.) thread before? I'd like to see all this information neatly compiled in single posts.

LOL

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 22, 2009, 09:17:24 AM
Did anyone ever do a favorite Chopin recordings by type (nocturnes, ballades, etc.) thread before? I'd like to see all this information neatly compiled in single posts.

LOL

You could just ask the question here, as there are already a number of people subscribed to this thread.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: George on January 22, 2009, 09:29:59 AM
You could just ask the question here, as there are already a number of people subscribed to this thread.

Consider it asked.