Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

aquablob

I started a thread on the Polonaise-Fantaisie, in response to mn dave's post. If nobody posts there, oh well!  :)

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 22, 2009, 09:32:35 AM
Consider it asked.

Ok. I need some time to do some comparing as I have multiple favorites for each. Can we give something like 3 picks for each category? I think it would be nice if we said a bit about why we chose are favorites as well.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: George on January 22, 2009, 09:40:16 AM
Ok. I need some time to do some comparing as I have multiple favorites for each. Can we give something like 3 picks for each category? I think it would be nice if we said a bit about why we chose are favorites as well.

Whatever works. But the fewer, the better.

ezodisy

just buy everything that Drasko listens to. He knows what he's doing.

rubio

Quote from: Mandryka on January 21, 2009, 09:21:02 PM

Josef Hoffman is King of the Berceuse, in my opinion.

Though I think you'd have a hard time nodding off to sleep with him playing it.

So which recording of the Hoffman Berceuse do you refer to. Any of the Marston volumes?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Peregrine

Quote from: rubio on January 22, 2009, 10:01:34 AM
So which recording of the Hoffman Berceuse do you refer to. Any of the Marston volumes?

I asked ezodisy about Hoffman recordings a while ago and he completely ignored me... :'(
Yes, we have no bananas

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on January 22, 2009, 09:59:01 AM

lol! See what I mean? (the suit, glasses, girl). We need to deck you out in pastel colours and double-breasted jackets like Don Johnson from Miami Vice. You'd be unstoppable.

Quote from: Peregrine on January 22, 2009, 10:07:20 AM
I asked ezodisy about Hoffman recordings a while ago and he completely ignored me... :'(

sorry mate, I have no excuse for it. I do it a lot and indiscriminately  ::)

The Casimir Hall recital is the one I used to play often, the one with the infamous Waldstein sonata, Chopin ballade 4 and a truncated Schumann Kreisleriana. There was a time when I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. Not so sure about that now. Also I don't think Drasko likes it all that much, so it might be worth hearing samples of first.

Other than that the disc of Chopin concerti which was remastered recently, that one's outstanding. And this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Josef-Hofmann-Vol-2/dp/B000003LIT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232653524&sr=1-2

I think you can hear his explosive Ballade 1 on Youtube

Peregrine

Quote from: ezodisy on January 22, 2009, 10:46:09 AM
sorry mate, I have no excuse for it. I do it a lot and indiscriminately  ::)

No worries, I'm sure you know I was taking the piss. Thanks for the recs. though, I'll have a look on Youtube later...
Yes, we have no bananas

ezodisy

The Hofmann Ballade 1 is on YT, listened to it again just now, pretty amazing IMO

Other Chopin disc I would recommend is this one (okay it's not Hofmann). One of the very very best IMO

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2590632

Peregrine

Quote from: ezodisy on January 22, 2009, 11:21:40 AM
Other Chopin disc I would recommend is this one (okay it's not Hofmann). One of the very very best IMO

Yeah, still got that in my 'basket'. Should have bought it ages ago, what with the weak pound  >:(

Still, if I can spend £25 on an OOP Haydn SQ disc, I'm sure I can stretch to purchasing this disc!!!
Yes, we have no bananas

orbital

The Hofmann Ballade 1 is on YT, listened to it again just now, pretty amazing IMO

I think there are two versions in there right? One is slower than the other IIRC.

Holden

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2590632

....and the one from the Vatican in 1986 which I can not find anywhere on the net - my copy is on a cheapo label. Tony, what's on the one you've posted?

Cheers

Holden

ezodisy

Quote from: donwyn on January 22, 2009, 06:47:57 AM
It might be just a semantics thing. In the context of "high poetry" and "beauty of tone" I meant 'exhilarating' to mean simply 'moving'. Perhaps "shimmering" accents might have been more appropriate. At least for the disc in question.

I'm with you on this. I think Drasko and I had more in mind the wild and flying sort of accents when you mentioned that word.

Quote from: Holden on January 22, 2009, 11:50:09 AM
....and the one from the Vatican in 1986 which I can not find anywhere on the net - my copy is on a cheapo label. Tony, what's on the one you've posted?

I don't know the Vatican recording, '86 is quite late in his career.

The Diapson disc from '67 contains the Fm Fantasie, op45 Prelude, Sonata 2 (I think his best performance of it, along with the one from Prague), 4 mazurkas, Ballade 1 and Andante Spianato.....

I uploaded 2 of the pieces to YT:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bmDJ857s4Xs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxYr-qU2w4

ezodisy

Quote from: orbital on January 22, 2009, 11:48:58 AM
I think there are two versions in there right? One is slower than the other IIRC.

I'm not sure, but am pretty sure the one on YT is the one from the CD, which I no longer have. It has that whirlwind coda...

Mandryka

QuoteSo which recording of the Hoffman Berceuse do you refer to. Any of the Marston volumes?

The Hofman Berceuse I like is on this
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

I wouldn't like anyone to think I was an  oddball, but I confess to having a soft spot for the Chopin on this CD -- just because it is so strange.

I always wear a leather gimp's mask when I play it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

rubio

Quote from: Mandryka on January 22, 2009, 12:19:21 PM
The Hofman Berceuse I like is on this

Which recording date is it?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Peregrine

Quote from: Mandryka on January 22, 2009, 12:23:33 PM
I wouldn't like anyone to think I was an  oddball, but I confess to having a soft spot for the Chopin on this CD -- just because it is so strange.

I always wear a leather gimp's mask when I play it.

What a pianist! I have his opera paraphrases on VAI, an absolutely thunderous tone!
Yes, we have no bananas