Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezodisy

Quote from: George on January 26, 2009, 02:30:06 AM
I certainly agree about the Nocturnes. As for the Balllades, this release on Aura, I assume it's her 1979 performance? I have her live Ballades on Ermitage and was wondering if they are the same. The ballades are paired with the LvB Op 109 and a Mozart sonata.

Yeah dude it's the same one. Ermitage/Aura recordings are usually the same (I think Aura took over the rights later, something like that). The Ballades are very good but the Nocturnes are special. Some guy on YT uploaded a recording of her playing an excerpt of Schumann's Sym Etudes, I can't find it anywhere, so if you see that recording please let me know. Cheers

George

Quote from: ezodisy on January 26, 2009, 02:47:51 AM
Yeah dude it's the same one. Ermitage/Aura recordings are usually the same (I think Aura took over the rights later, something like that). The Ballades are very good but the Nocturnes are special. Some guy on YT uploaded a recording of her playing an excerpt of Schumann's Sym Etudes, I can't find it anywhere, so if you see that recording please let me know. Cheers

Will do.

I won't hold my breath, but EMI really should do a box of her recordings, especially seeing as they are so poorly distributed.

ezodisy

I've been told that Gekic will have 2 new CDs this summer, one of French music and one of the Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff PC 2s. I suspect the French disc would include Ravel's Gaspard which he played during his last tour of Japan

Herman

Quote from: ezodisy on January 25, 2009, 01:48:30 PM
yeah that's the one, they re-released it and it's quite easy to get now. Her Messiaen Vingt Regards are pretty amazing too in perfect sound, one of the best recordings IMO. I have the Chopin CD and will copy it, awesome scherzo 3 IMO. Will take a week or two for me to get the disc though.

compared to some exciting live Chopin 3ds I thought the Kodama 3d sounded a little too studio-perfect. I know it's an unfair comparison.

Similarly her 3d scherzo is beautifully done, but I fail to be moved by its perfection. It's as if there's no dark side. Maybe that's why I think the impromptus are the best part of this cd.

ezodisy

yeah I know what you mean, some of that third sonata is a bit polished, and I think I remember wishing for a bit more freedom in the Largo. Still I think she's a better pianist with more character than her sister (I think they're sisters anyway). The sis likes to play Ludwig.

Herman

Ludwig van B? Or Ludwig the drumkit?

ezodisy

lol! Is there a difference?

(high five;
on the flip side)
-Puddy, Seinfeld

George

Quote from: ezodisy on January 26, 2009, 10:45:53 PM
I've been told that Gekic will have 2 new CDs this summer, one of French music and one of the Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff PC 2s. I suspect the French disc would include Ravel's Gaspard which he played during his last tour of Japan

This is very good news! Thanks for the info!

Mandryka

Hi

Can any of you guys give me some advice about Shura Cherkassky?

I own two Chopin CDs of his -- the Etudes and the two sonatas. I love all the Etudes and the Second sonata, and I want to hear more.

But people tell me that he was very variable -- sometimes he doesn't pull it off.

Are there any other Cherkassky recordings which you can recommend?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2009, 11:42:05 PM
Hi

I own two Chopin CDs of his -- the Etudes and the two sonatas. I love all the Etudes and the Second sonata, and I want to hear more.

But people tell me that he was very variable -- sometimes he doesn't pull it off.

Hi Mandryka!

I listened to this one this week and loved it:

I haven't heard anything else by the pianist.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on February 01, 2009, 04:27:04 AM
Hi Mandryka!

I listened to this one this week and loved it. . .

Interesting. I'll get that CD.

I guess you haven't tried this one in the same series.

Gould, Haskil and Cherkassky play K331, and I thought Cherkassky was the best! The Gilels is good too.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 01, 2009, 06:08:20 AM
Interesting. I'll get that CD.

I guess you haven't tried this one in the same series.

I haven't tried it, no. I actually only have one comparison CDs like like that, on Aura. At the time I thought "what a great idea," but since I never listen to it, I haven't bought any others in that vein.

Let me know what you think of that Orfeo disc.   

sporkadelic

I have a question about a 16-CD Chopin set that I saw on the HMV Japan website.  The label is IMC Music, and these artists are listed:

Beata Bilinska
Bogdan Czapiewski
Chie Mori
Halina Czerny Stefanska
Jaroslaw Drzewiecki
Karol Radziwonowicz
Kevin Kenner
Krzysztof Jablonski
Mi Joo Lee
Philippe Giusiano
Rem Urasin
Sa Chen
Tatiana Shebanova
Wojciech Switala
Zbigniew Raubo
Roland Bader
Krakow State Philharmony

Now, my question is about Czerny-Stefanska.  Which recordings of hers are in this set?  Something licensed from RCA Japan, or Pony Canyon, or Muza, or... ??

http://www.imc-music.net/webshop/detail/special/IMCM8101_16.html

Thanks for any help!

ezodisy

Hi

I still haven't heard it, but also on Orfeo (same label George posted) there's a different release which contains a live op. 28 Preludes. Supposed to be outstanding and quite special

Coopmv

I just played this SACD yesterday morning and was pleasantly surprised.  The recording arrived from MDT just a few days ago ...

Dancing Divertimentian

There are two I can recommend.

The GPOTC set includes the etudes (1953-55), the preludes (1968), the 3rd sonata (1985), plus misc pieces:

The DG disc is invaluable for a great Polonaise-Fantaisie:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

Herman

any idea if the GPOC has the identical live recording of the Preludes as on the Orefo (Slazburg Aug 3, 1968)? In that case the former is rather more attractive.

The Orfeo is a 2cd, too, and the other pieces are Bach's BWV 830 e minor partita; Brahms Sonata op 5; Liszt 2nd Polonaise and a piece by the (then) contemporary composer Bennett.

The Chopin Preludes are wonderful. They are about the polar opposite of Arrau's Prague Spring interpretation: light instead of dark, but quite good.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 02, 2009, 10:49:36 AM
any idea if the GPOC has the identical live recording of the Preludes as on the Orefo (Slazburg Aug 3, 1968)? In that case the former is rather more attractive.

The Orfeo is a 2cd, too, and the other pieces are Bach's BWV 830 e minor partita; Brahms Sonata op 5; Liszt 2nd Polonaise and a piece by the (then) contemporary composer Bennett.

The Chopin Preludes are wonderful. They are about the polar opposite of Arrau's Prague Spring interpretation: light instead of dark, but quite good.

Hey Herman,

What is the Arrau Prague Spring interpretation? I can only see one live concert CD of the Preludes, but an amazon review suggests it's from Salzburg.

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on February 02, 2009, 11:24:29 AM
What is the Arrau Prague Spring interpretation? I can only see one live concert CD of the Preludes, but an amazon review suggests it's from Salzburg.

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Preludes-Schumann-Symphonic-Etudes/dp/B00005B6AK