Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Herman

Yup, that's the one. It ain't cheap, but it is an amazing performance. One of the most cherished items in my collection.

ezodisy

That live Arrau recording is amazing.

No idea about the Cherkassky

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Herman on February 02, 2009, 10:49:36 AM
any idea if the GPOC has the identical live recording of the Preludes as on the Orefo (Slazburg Aug 3, 1968)? In that case the former is rather more attractive.

I wish I could help but the GPOTC doesn't list anything beyond the year (1968). No day/month, nor the location.

The copyright information states these preludes are the same as what appeared on ASV in 1996. By coincidence I actually have that ASV disc but sadly it's no help either as again all that's listed is the year. So whether these are the same as Orfeo I have no idea.

I'm listening to them right now and they don't sound live. No audience noise or rustling between movements. And if there's applause at the end it's been lopped off. They do sound perfectly spontaneous and they've been well recorded. If that helps. 
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ezodisy

George you're a big Rudolf Serkin fan. Did you ever hear his recording of Chopin's Preludes? I think Distler reviewed & raved about them. I haven't heard them, just curious

George

Quote from: ezodisy on February 03, 2009, 03:23:30 AM
George you're a big Rudolf Serkin fan. Did you ever hear his recording of Chopin's Preludes? I think Distler reviewed & raved about them. I haven't heard them, just curious

No, I haven't. If you get more info, let me know?

Outside of Beethoven, Serkin hasn't really wowed me actually, but I am open to hearing his Chopin.   

Herman

Quote from: donwyn on February 02, 2009, 05:22:47 PM
I'm listening to them right now and they don't sound live. No audience noise or rustling between movements. And if there's applause at the end it's been lopped off. They do sound perfectly spontaneous and they've been well recorded. If that helps. 

In the Orfeo there is a moment, toward the end of the 2nd prelude that it becomes a duet for piano and piano stool. Same thing at the beginning of the 7th. And nr 9 is rather shaky.

ezodisy

Quote from: George on February 03, 2009, 04:49:01 AM
No, I haven't. If you get more info, let me know?

Outside of Beethoven, Serkin hasn't really wowed me actually, but I am open to hearing his Chopin.   

I think the disc is available commercially (or it was released as part of a biography on him, can't remember which or if both). Either way i can't imagine him as a Chopin pianist which is why I asked. Distler seemed quite impressed though. I'll try to track it down

aquablob

Quote from: ezodisy on February 03, 2009, 05:24:39 AM
I think the disc is available commercially (or it was released as part of a biography on him, can't remember which or if both). Either way i can't imagine him as a Chopin pianist which is why I asked. Distler seemed quite impressed though. I'll try to track it down

A year or two ago I found a website somewhere with 30-second preview clips of Serkin's preludes.

Unfortunately, I don't remember at all what they were like.

So basically, this post is totally pointless.  :)

George

Quote from: ezodisy on February 03, 2009, 05:24:39 AM

Yeah, I agree that Chopin is not a composer that I think Serkin would excel in. The preludes were rerl;eased in that mid-priced "Art of Interpretation" series on Sony, now OOP. Amazon has a few copies: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0002F4C84/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

There's a long review in there too.

I don't think I'd ever buy it for that price, but if I find it in the bins I'll give it a try. However, I am not always in agreement with Distler's impressions.

George

Quote from: orbital on April 08, 2007, 03:34:58 PM
I am noticing how my tastes have evolved compared to when I last answered to a query like this.

Ballades: Ashkenazy, Barere.
Etudes:  Ciani, Gavrilov, Cortot, Sokolov(op25)
Impromptus: Rubinstein, Sokolov
Mazurkas: Luisada Complete set, Sofronitsky, Kapell
Nocturnes: Tipo, Rubinstein, Moravec, Ciani
Barcarolle: Arrau, Cherkassy, Freire
Fantasie op 49 : Arrau, Cherkassy,
PS 2: Brand, Ashkenazy, Sokolov
PS 3: Sokolov, Chekassy
Preludes: Zhukov, Ashkenazy, Bolet, Pletnev, Sofronitsky
Waltzes: Rubinstein, Ashkenazy, Cortot
PC's: too many to name  :P

I'm curious, are picks still the same almost 2 years later?

orbital

Quote from: George on February 03, 2009, 07:27:47 AM
I'm curious, are picks still the same almost 2 years later?
I was pondering on the question... then I saw this on top of the page and had a Zen awakening  0:)
What I've been missing all this time  :'(

(seriously, I have to give your question some thought. I will reply soon George)

George

Quote from: orbital on February 03, 2009, 09:18:38 AM
I was pondering on the question... then I saw this on top of the page and had a Zen awakening  0:)

ROTFL  ;D

jwinter

Quote from: George on February 03, 2009, 06:25:32 AM
Yeah, I agree that Chopin is not a composer that I think Serkin would excel in. The preludes were rerl;eased in that mid-priced "Art of Interpretation" series on Sony, now OOP. Amazon has a few copies: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0002F4C84/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

There's a long review in there too.

I don't think I'd ever buy it for that price, but if I find it in the bins I'll give it a try. However, I am not always in agreement with Distler's impressions.

I actually have that, but it's been ages since I listened to it.  Didn't realize it was so rare!  I'll give it a spin in the next day or two.

If anybody is truly interested in hearing it, shoot me a PM.  I have no experience with uploading files, but I'm sure we could figure something out.  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Drasko

Quote from: jwinter on February 03, 2009, 11:01:42 AM
Didn't realize it was so rare!  I'll give it a spin in the next day or two.

If anybody is truly interested in hearing it, shoot me a PM. 

No, can't say that I'm truly interested in hearing it, but anyhow doesn't seem to be that rare, just double listing on amazon, here's one with clips:
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Préludes-Op-Unreleased-Recording/dp/B0007N1A3G

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Herman on February 03, 2009, 05:06:17 AM
In the Orfeo there is a moment, toward the end of the 2nd prelude that it becomes a duet for piano and piano stool. Same thing at the beginning of the 7th. And nr 9 is rather shaky.

I gave these spots a going over and nothing glaring sticks out. No bench noise and 9 has no gaffs I can detect.

Judging by this it appears these preludes are not the same as Orfeo.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Quote from: ezodisy(reposted ) on January 25, 2009, 12:19:11 PM

Mikhail Pletnev – a worthwile Chopin disc on DG exists, and in the past he has played a selection of Chopin mazurkas in recital. Best of all, however, is almost certainly the radio broadcast of his op. 28 Preludes – exceptional performance, showing him at his most imaginative best.

The more I hear Pletnev's two Chopin discs on DG, the more I appreciate what he has achieved there. Quite unique, creative  Chopin playing, I think. Intense and colourful. Even his third sonata -- which initially I found challenging -- has grown on me.

But what is this radio broadcast?  I'd be very keen to hear it. Is there a link?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

This was a November 2004 recital by Pletnev in the Amsterdam Concertgebouw. Two Beethoven sonatas before the intermission (although one or two members in the audience may have never noticed they were two sonatas, because M.P. didn't exit the stage between the two pieces; he resumed virtually immediately) and the Op 28 Preludes after the intermission.

The extraordinary thing was that Pletnev seemed to have shaken all his irritating tics and ideosyncrasies during the intermission. The Preludes were wonderful. I'm not sure I have ever heard such a succesful finale to the entire opus (I count the last three preludes as the finale), those G sharp dissonants in the last couple of bars of nr 24 hitting you on the chin like some shattering doom (pardon my purple prose).

A couple weeks later there was a radio broadcast.

I don't need to rely on my memory for this because at that time Tony used to have the whole world of music downloads at his fingertips and he sent me a cdr of this broadcast.

Pletnev's next Amsterdam recital, if I recall, was all Chopin, and it was unbearable. Every note was funny, strange and twisted out of shape, and so was I after one-and-a-half hour of squirming in my seat. I made a vow never to go to a Pletnev recital again.

jwinter

From the WAYLT thread:

I forgot I even had this, my very first Chopin CD, from at least 15 years ago:

I still think it's a fine disc, though it doesn't include the whole set.  Vasary's interpretations seem rather middle of the road, but beautifully played -- quite enjoyable, although certainly no match for Rubinstein, Moravec, or Arrau.  I see that there are a couple of those Universal trios with Vasary's Chopin -- any opinions?

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice