Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: jwinter on February 04, 2009, 05:42:35 AM
I see that there are a couple of those Universal trios with Vasary's Chopin -- any opinions?

I've pondered those trios a number of times, J, but never bought one. I have also owned that single CD you mentioned before as well, so I know what you mean about his playing.

David Dubal on Vasary
(and his Chopin) - "he is a poet-pianist, a dreamy bard. For him music must first be beautiful. It must also be Romantic and emotional...Chopin is never far from his field. His multicolored imagination depicts this artful literature with all kinds of felicitous lingerings. He can also become over-refined; Vasary can suspend a not for so long that one wonders if the phrase will continue. In his quest for free improvised art, he occasionally gets caught up in detail and hovers dangerously at the brink of arrhythmic action, where formlessness lurks."

ezodisy

Quote from: Herman on February 04, 2009, 04:24:57 AM
I don't need to rely on my memory for this because at that time Tony used to have the whole world of music downloads at his fingertips and he sent me a cdr of this broadcast.

lol! Yeah at that time we had Chopin coming out of our ears. I think the performance is incredible, there's no other reading even remotely like it. If anyone would like a copy let me know, I have one uploaded in flac.

Quote from: jwinter on February 04, 2009, 05:42:35 AM
Vasary's interpretations seem rather middle of the road, but beautifully played -- quite enjoyable, although certainly no match for Rubinstein, Moravec, or Arrau. 

You answered your own question there. They're a good intro to Chopin, nicely played, nothing to put any listener off yet enough to make the music sound quite beautiful. Not really needed once you get into other interpretations however.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 04, 2009, 04:24:57 AM

Pletnev's next Amsterdam recital, if I recall, was all Chopin, and it was unbearable. Every note was funny, strange and twisted out of shape, and so was I after one-and-a-half hour of squirming in my seat. I made a vow never to go to a Pletnev recital again.

I know Pletnev performances are very variable.

I once heard him do Scarlatti sonatas in the Wigmore Hall, and it was just terrible. Mediochre. Dull.

But the CDs are interesting -- I like them very much.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Does enyone know this Michelangeli recording -- Turin 1962?

Comments on performance and sound appreciated!

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on February 05, 2009, 09:14:56 PM
Does enyone know this Michelangeli recording -- Turin 1962?

To my knowledge all 1962 Turin recordings come from RAI studio televised sessions and all subsequent audio only releases are better or worse transfers of these TV tapes (Cetra-Teldec-Apex being the worst).
So, unless I'm mistaken and he played some extra concerts beyond TV sessions:

= (+ Second Sonata and Fantasie)

ezodisy

Quote from: Mandryka on February 06, 2009, 09:23:41 AM
Here's my favourite Gilels disc.

No one does the...Chopin better -- in my opinion.

Mandryka, for the second sonata there are severeal outstanding performances.

Natan Brand on Palexa
Ginzburg on Euromusica (100th anniversary, the one Rubio just bought)
Michelangeli either in Prague (Praga) or Prato (Diapason)
Fiorentino on APR
Rachmaninoff (of course)

The Gilels is a good one though, and of course there are other ones

Mandryka

Quote from: ezodisy on February 06, 2009, 09:49:43 AM
Mandryka, for the second sonata there are severeal outstanding performances.

Natan Brand on Palexa
Ginzburg on Euromusica (100th anniversary, the one Rubio just bought)
Michelangeli either in Prague (Praga) or Prato (Diapason)
Fiorentino on APR
Rachmaninoff (of course)

The Gilels is a good one though, and of course there are other ones

I knew I'd get into trouble for saying that.

Coopmv

I know Ashkenazy has 4 of those London double-deckers released for his recordings in Chopin.  Can someone share some insight on both the performance and the sound quality for these CD-sets?

Herman

Good middle-of-the-road Chopin. I'd look for more interesting performances.

The most obvious comprehensive recommendation would be Rubinstein.

If you're interested in a particular genre, sonatas, mazurkas, nocturnes, scherzi, the picture gets more detailed.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 04, 2009, 05:52:42 AM
I've pondered those trios a number of times, J, but never bought one. I have also owned that single CD you mentioned before as well, so I know what you mean about his playing.

David Dubal on Vasary
(and his Chopin) - "he is a poet-pianist, a dreamy bard. For him music must first be beautiful. It must also be Romantic and emotional...Chopin is never far from his field. His multicolored imagination depicts this artful literature with all kinds of felicitous lingerings. He can also become over-refined; Vasary can suspend a not for so long that one wonders if the phrase will continue. In his quest for free improvised art, he occasionally gets caught up in detail and hovers dangerously at the brink of arrhythmic action, where formlessness lurks."

I have both and they are quite delightful ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Herman on February 06, 2009, 11:18:14 PM
Good middle-of-the-road Chopin. I'd look for more interesting performances.

The most obvious comprehensive recommendation would be Rubinstein.

If you're interested in a particular genre, sonatas, mazurkas, nocturnes, scherzi, the picture gets more detailed.

I already have the Rubinstein's 11-CD set on the RCA Gold Seal.  Excellent recordings!

Herman

Didya know there are two Testament cd's with pre-Decca recordings by Ashkenazy?

For some ideas and suggestions about Chopin recordings you could also cherrypick the old Fighting over Chopin thread.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,38.0.html

Hilariously you can just google the words "Fighting over Chopin" and it's right there.

I guess no one has ever fought over Chopin before.

Mandryka

Hi,

Who does the best Revolutionary Etude?

Coopmv

Quote from: Herman on February 07, 2009, 06:35:48 AM
Didya know there are two Testament cd's with pre-Decca recordings by Ashkenazy?

For some ideas and suggestions about Chopin recordings you could also cherrypick the old Fighting over Chopin thread.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,38.0.html

Hilariously you can just google the words "Fighting over Chopin" and it's right there.

I guess no one has ever fought over Chopin before.

Indeed, we are not talking about Richard Wagner or Herbert von Karajan ...

Coopmv

So besides the Rubinstein's set, which other set is worth collecting?

George

Quote from: Coopmv on February 07, 2009, 07:54:06 AM

Being someone who likes to collect by buying sets, in the case of Chopin I don't think it is wise to collect Chopin in this manner.

That said, I enjoy much of Ashkenazy's Decca set.

I wish Moravec recorded everthing, that would be sweet.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 07, 2009, 07:57:37 AM
Being someone who likes to collect by buying sets, in the case of Chopin I don't think it is wise to collect Chopin in this manner.

That said, I enjoy much of Ashkenazy's Decca set.

I wish Moravec recorded everthing, that would be sweet.

I believe the Decca set you have includes the 3 double-decker sets issued individually.  No?

ezodisy

Quote from: Mandryka on February 07, 2009, 07:05:22 AM
Hi,

Who does the best Revolutionary Etude?

I recall a rather different reading from Malcuzynski which is on a live Aura disc. Does anyone have that? I'd like to hear it again

Peregrine

Quote from: Coopmv on February 07, 2009, 07:54:06 AM

I think that if you are going to get (or are!) serious about collecting the cream of Chopin recordings, then you're best off avoiding going down the box set route.

Rubinstein is the exception, but even then, as fine as his recordings are (and there are plenty!), there is so much more out there. Check out this thread in it's entirety, pay particular attention to ezodisey's long-winded, but eminent re-post (by me). Have a gander over at RMCR and you'll soon start seeing the same familiar recs come up. Try and see, you may not like all that you purchase, but bound to find some that float your boat.

Another boxset I will also mention is the Cziffra on EMI and whilst it's not a comprehensive set of Chopin of recordings, it has some stellar playing that many find irresistible, myself included. Askenase has a box on DG that has quite a full selection - nicely played, he certainly had a natural feel for the composer, but personally find it a bit lightweight and prissy, although kept the waltzes as enjoyed them a fair bit.
Yes, we have no bananas

George

Quote from: Coopmv on February 07, 2009, 08:03:32 AM
I believe the Decca set you have includes the 3 double-decker sets issued individually.  No?

I actually don't have the set, I own 5 Double Decca issues. Not sure if there were others.

I can easily think of recordings that I prefer ahead of Ashkenazy's in every genre though, except for some of the Polonaises.  

What do you currently own, outside the Rubinstein and Argerich Box sets?