Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Peregrine on February 07, 2009, 08:09:11 AM
Rubinstein is the exception, but even then, as fine as his recordings are (and there are plenty!), there is so much more out there.

Good advice! I would say that Rubinstein's Chopin was very good, but I still do not find him to be my favorite for any of the Chopin works, except for maybe bercuese.

ezodisy

Quote from: Peregrine on February 07, 2009, 08:09:11 AM
ezodisey's long-winded

wtf? lol!

As the Yanks say: DE-FENCE, DE-FENCE! lol!

Another boxset I will also mention is the Cziffra on EMI and whilst it's not a comprehensive set of Chopin of recordings, it has some stellar playing that many find irresistible, myself included. Askenase has a box on DG that has quite a full selection - nicely played, he certainly had a natural feel for the composer, but personally find it a bit lightweight and prissy, although kept the waltzes as enjoyed them a fair bit.

Yeah that Cziffra box is a great choice IMO

I always forget about that Askenase set. He had quite a distinctive style in Chopin, though it is more on the feminine side for sure (not that there's anything wrong with that)

George

It is interesting actually, for with many composers, if you are just going to get one recording of each work, the box set is often the way to go. With Chopin it's the opposite, box sets might make a nice reference for comparison, but for the very best in Chopin, one needs to pick and choose among many different performers and labels.

My favorite Chopin pianists never recorded a full set of Chopin works, if they did, I would surely recommend them.

Kemal Gekic (a number of live Chopin performances), Maria Tipo (live Ballades on Ermitage), Ivan Moravec (Nocturnes, Preludes, Ballades, Scherzi, various Mazurkas), Luisada (Mazurkas), Wasowski (Mazurkas), Ivo Pogorelich,  Ashkenazy (both recordings of the Etudes, Polonaises), Richter (various etudes), Cziffra's EMI recordings.

Friedman's Mazurkas on Naxos or Pearl, Cortot (on Naxos, 5 CD), Backhaus (first recording of the etudes on Pearl.)

The more I think about this, the more I think that assembling a separate historical and contemporary set would be wise.

Renfield

Quote from: Coopmv on February 07, 2009, 07:54:06 AM
So besides the Rubinstein's set, which other set is worth collecting?

In my opinion, and even though it's apparently out of fashion, the Cortot set from EMI is mandatory listening.

Yes, old, perhaps the remastering is an issue to some, though I love it - but I would easily(!) rank it even higher than Rubinstein's. It's what I'd be taking with me to Navneeth's desert island if I could keep only one Chopin set, and I'd still feel like I've profited from the deal. ;)

In short, I recommend it with nary a second thought; but of course "your mileage may vary", etc.

Edit: An important note on the Naxos Cortot issues is that they do not (AFAIK) include the 1933 set of the Preludes, or - more importantly - the 1931 3rd Sonata. Of course, the 1933 Preludes aren't in the aforementioned set either, but on the "Great Recordings of the 20th Century" series.

But I could be wrong on the Preludes and Naxos. I've still to properly index those discs... ::)

aquablob

Quote from: Mandryka on February 07, 2009, 07:05:22 AM
Hi,

Who does the best Revolutionary Etude?

Funny you should ask. My wife and I did a listening test of various recordings of this piece a few months ago (it's her favorite etude). Of the dozen or so recordings that we have, we both ended up favoring Cziffra here (from the 1962 recordings of the complete Opp. 10 and 25, not his less magical 1981 take... the 1962 is available on the 5-CD set others have been mentioning).

That's just our opinion, though; we discovered that we both prefer this one to be played rather frenetically (we also like Richter here quite a bit).

George

You are correct Renfield, the Cortot Naxos series does not include the 1933, but the less popular and (to some) better 1926 performance. The 1933 can be easily found on a number of different EMI CDs, but alas, not the 6 CD box. I have heard enough of the 6 CD box to be glad that I got it, but because of the better sound and often better performances on Naxos, I will more likely return there for my Cortot Chopin needs.

Peregrine

Quote from: George on February 07, 2009, 08:12:29 AM
Good advice! I would say that Rubinstein's Chopin was very good, but I still do not find him to be my favorite for any of the Chopin works, except for maybe bercuese.

I think it may be easy to almost dismiss Rubinstein, or take him for granted (and I'm not suggesting you are BTW), prolific as he was with Chopin. The more recordings I buy however, the more I realise what a great interpreter he was, whichever of the three 'phases' of his recordings you care to pull recordings from.
Yes, we have no bananas

George

Quote from: Peregrine on February 07, 2009, 08:42:04 AM
I think it may be easy to almost dismiss Rubinstein, or take him for granted (and I'm not suggesting you are BTW), prolific as he was with Chopin. The more recordings I buy however, the more I realise what a great interpreter he was, whichever of the three 'phases' of his recordings you care to pull recordings from.

If I had to sell of my Chopin collection, his CDs would not be the first to go, but certainly not the last either. I own many individual performances of Chopin that I enjoy better than his. This isn't to say that they are better than him, just that I enjoy them more. If I assembled my own set of Chopin works (one performance per work), the only one of his that I would include would be his bercuese. That RCA performance touched me deeply and made me sit up and take notice. 

There's a part of me that thinks that I "should" like him more, just like I "should" like Kempff's mono LvB. That part of me got me to give them a number of opportunities to connect with me. After a number of tries, I can say that I haven't grown to love Rubinstein's Chopin. I'll continue to give him a try, but there's so many other great Chopin interpreters that I enjoy without all the extra work that I am less and less motivated to return to performances that I don't thoroughly enjoy.

Herman

Well, if you want another comprehensive set, and you don't mind historical, I'd say the next step is indeed the Naxos Cortot. Obviously it is not complete, but you do open up a lot of perspectives this way. And it's at a very low cost.

I'd start looking for Moravec's Chopin recordings.

I'd start prepapring for the purchase of the Arrau Preludes on APR, Fiorentino's 3d sonata on APR and that great recital of Sofronitsky's on Denon. Those are three discs that'll last you a long time.

Speaking of Rubinstein, I'd say the core of his Chopin are the Mazurkas, and I'm very sorry but you need at least two incarnations of his Mazurkas.

Peregrine

Quote from: Herman on February 07, 2009, 10:18:38 AM
Speaking of Rubinstein, I'd say the core of his Chopin are the Mazurkas, and I'm very sorry but you need at least two incarnations of his Mazurkas.

That's the unfortunate conclusion my wallet has come to. I've owned the stereo set for a long time, but keep toying with the 1950's set, particularly as I can't see it remaining in print for too long...
Yes, we have no bananas

Herman

The beauty is the middle set won't make the stereo mazurkas superfluous; you'll listen to both.

Holden

Quote from: ezodisy on February 07, 2009, 08:07:34 AM
I recall a rather different reading from Malcuzynski which is on a live Aura disc. Does anyone have that? I'd like to hear it again

Yes, I do. The disc has some excellent Brahms, some mediocre LvB and the obligatory Chopin including the Revolutionary Etude. PM me if interested.

The fastest and most exciting Op 10/12 is the one by Richter on BBC Legends. There is a slightly less intense performance available on video and I think someone has Youtubed this.

Finally I'm going to disagree (Fighting over Chopin) with all the knockers of box sets for Chopin. Either the Ashkenazy or Rubinstein set would be an excellent place to start for beginners. Sure, there are probably better performances out there but both sets are consistently good. I'd never get rid of any of my Rubinstein.
Cheers

Holden

rubio

Quote from: Herman on February 07, 2009, 10:30:12 AM
The beauty is the middle set won't make the stereo mazurkas superfluous; you'll listen to both.

And how does the early set stack up to the two later ones?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: aquariuswb on February 07, 2009, 08:38:55 AM
Funny you should ask. My wife and I did a listening test of various recordings of this piece a few months ago (it's her favorite etude). Of the dozen or so recordings that we have, we both ended up favoring Cziffra here (from the 1962 recordings of the complete Opp. 10 and 25, not his less magical 1981 take... the 1962 is available on the 5-CD set others have been mentioning).

When you say complete 1962 Etudes, would you be referring to the (in)famous 1962 Philips set? (Which can be found on GPOTC).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

aquablob

Quote from: donwyn on February 07, 2009, 05:08:47 PM
When you say complete 1962 Etudes, would you be referring to the (in)famous 1962 Philips set? (Which can be found on GPOTC).

Yes. He only recorded them all* once — in 1962. I find most of the set superb, if (forgive me ::)) "mannered," though I understand why others may not enjoy it as a whole. But unless you prefer your "Revolutionary" restrained, I wholeheartedly recommend Cziffra!

*(excluding the 3 "Nouvelles Etudes," which he never recorded)

George

Quote from: rubio on February 07, 2009, 01:08:59 PM

I'd like to know this too.

Herman

Quote from: Holden on February 07, 2009, 11:51:15 AM
I'm going to disagree (Fighting over Chopin) with all the knockers of box sets for Chopin. Either the Ashkenazy or Rubinstein set would be an excellent place to start for beginners. Sure, there are probably better performances out there but both sets are consistently good. I'd never get rid of any of my Rubinstein.

I agree about the Rubinstein. People who say "I'd only keep the Rubinstein Berceuse" suffer from sophisticitis, and I frankly advocate getting more of Rubinstein's Chopin than is available in the 11 cd box. The Askenazy would be a good start too, but getting the entire Ashkenazy afterwards seems like unneccesary doubling to me. I would however want his two Etudes recordings, and his Legends Ballades.

Quote from: rubio on February 07, 2009, 01:08:59 PM

I don't listen to those much, but other people do. Some clearly prefer the 78s Mazurkas. You'd have to listen for yourself. They're available on a Naxos 2cd.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on February 07, 2009, 10:14:31 PM
I frankly advocate getting more of Rubinstein's Chopin than is available in the 11 cd box.

A very nice Rubinstein recording out of the 11 cd box.
You don't just get to hear him playing, you also get to hear him speaking.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

I would take Leo Sirota's Chopin recording to the Desert Island -- for me, it's close to perfection.

But I want more. The cover says that he played the complete works of Chopin, much of which was taped.

Does anyone out there have tapes, or is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Peregrine

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2009, 01:26:29 AM
I would take Leo Sirota's Chopin recording to the Desert Island -- for me, it's close to perfection.

Agreed! Beautiful disc.
Yes, we have no bananas