Polonaise in F sharp minor Op. 44
Polonaise-fantaisie in A flat major Op. 61
Andante spianato
Grande polonaise brillante

Herman

Brendel also recorded a completely negligable Brahms Ballades

Drasko

Quote from: ezodisy on February 11, 2009, 07:59:44 AM
lol! That far off huh? Well, I never really liked Malcuzynski's mazurkas. I'll give it another listen tonight. In fairness to myself I did not go past 30 seconds before guessing  ::)

Ok, I'll give you a big hint. Pianist in question was Malcuzynski's student, but new and improved ears you still are in dire need of.

Quote from: Peregrine on February 11, 2009, 09:45:46 AM
My serious answer - Afanassiev?!!!.....Cherkassky, possibly?

No, neither of them.

ezodisy

Hmm that's interesting. Who studied with Malcuzynski?

(I knew I heard some M in there :) )

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

sporkadelic

I'm still thinking it's an old piano, so I'll guess Patrick Cohen who has recorded the mazurkas on an Erard.

Peregrine

Quote from: Drasko on February 11, 2009, 01:13:35 PM
Ok, I'll give you a big hint. Pianist in question was Malcuzynski's student, but new and improved ears you still are in dire need of.

Well, going by the piano used and the hint - Olejniczak?
Yes, we have no bananas

Drasko

Quote from: Peregrine on February 11, 2009, 09:32:54 PM
Well, going by the piano used and the hint - Olejniczak?

We have a winner! It is indeed Janusz Olejniczak playing on Chopin's own 1831 Pleyel, from this disc:

The prize are Goldberg Variations played by Grigory Sokolov, check PM to collect.

ezodisy

lol! Who the hell is that?

Drasko

Quote from: ezodisy on February 12, 2009, 01:04:44 AM
lol! Who the hell is that?

Polish pianist who among other things played Chopin in Zulawski's La Note Bleue. I'm sure Maciek knows more about his pianism than I, he records extensively for polish labels.

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on February 12, 2009, 01:22:07 AM
Polish pianist who among other things played Chopin in Zulawski's La Note Bleue. I'm sure Maciek knows more about his pianism than I, he records extensively for polish labels.

Thanks for that. Jesus Zulawski made a film about Chopin?  :o That's gonna be insane. Have you seen it? I'm about to download his Boris Godunov after I finish downloading films by Wojciech Has

Drasko

Quote from: ezodisy on February 12, 2009, 01:55:34 AM
Thanks for that. Jesus Zulawski made a film about Chopin?  :o That's gonna be insane. Have you seen it? I'm about to download his Boris Godunov after I finish downloading films by Wojciech Has

Watching screenshots I think I might have seen it, or just excerpts, on TV years ago and if that was indeed it I recall it being part hysterical part hilarious, definitely worth seeing.
Downloads are easy to find but no subtitles that I could track down (film is in french). There is also not too expensive French DVD but again, no idea if it has any subtitles.
http://www.amazon.fr/note-bleue-Marie-France-Pisier/dp/B000EGESPS

Mandryka

I've enjoyed this, and I'm thinking of buying Gekic's two sonata CDs.

Have anny of you guys tried them? Are they recommended?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2009, 10:36:29 PM
I've enjoyed this, and I'm thinking of buying Gekic's two sonata CDs.

Have anny of you guys tried them? Are they recommended?

Absolutely! Wait, two sonata CDs? I know of the one with Chopin's third sonata, is there another?

ezodisy

the early one that you bought has Sonata 3 (the disc with Ballade 1)

George

Quote from: ezodisy on February 15, 2009, 04:03:18 AM
the early one that you bought has Sonata 3 (the disc with Ballade 1)

Right, I just corrected that. Thanks.

George

Quote from: ezodisy on February 15, 2009, 04:08:54 AM
There's also one with sonata 2: http://www.amazon.com/Kemal-Gekic-in-Concert/dp/B00000I7H4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234703294&sr=1-7

I like the disc with 3 more than 2

Oh, right! I got that way back when you were first recommending him, when I couldn't find the Live Tokyo CD. I have yet to hear a Gekic CD I don't like. The only other pianist I can say that about is Moravec.

Coopmv

Are there any good Chopin recordings released by Polish labels that are easy to find in the west?