Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishl and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

orbital

Her nocturnes set is generally well received IIRC -that's the reason I got them in the first place, so there is a good chance that you might like them. I can send you a couple of them to try out if you want.

George

Quote from: orbital on March 09, 2009, 05:09:38 AM
Her nocturnes set is generally well received IIRC -that's the reason I got them in the first place, so there is a good chance that you might like them. I can send you a couple of them to try out if you want.

That's cool, I already have a copy. Thanks!

Mandryka

Quote from: ezodisy on March 08, 2009, 11:44:19 PM
Mandryka, if you want to hear a great performance of op. 25/11, you could try Ginzburg's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWgUAhTveSY

Someone has uploaded a video of Ginzburg playing waltz 64/2 which I guess is from that DVD released in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkG4LEne_0U

There are a couple videos of Goldenweiser playing Chopin too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDUKntUFU9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbtVuaws8so

I'm not saying they're great or anything

While we're on old school videos here's one of H. Neuhaus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Colki_YMhw8&

Thanks for putting me on to these -- I think Ginsburg is real good in the Etudes -- especially Opus 25. In number 11 he's paticularly exciting at the end.

I think there are other good performances of this too -- Gekic for instance, is one that I love in Winter Winds. And Richter too -- we must never forget Richter.

I don't usually warm to Richter's Chopin -- he's exciting enough, but IMO not enough introdpection and meloncholy; too extrovert and in your face. But in Winter winds I think he's very good indeed.

Did you see the upload of Neuhaus's 2nd scherzo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZj2UdcIfA&feature=channel_page
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on March 09, 2009, 09:48:22 AM
... I love in Winter Winds. And Richter too -- we must never forget Richter.
... in Winter winds I think he's very good indeed.

I agree. Are you referring the Prague version?

Mandryka

Quote from: George on March 09, 2009, 10:02:56 AM
I agree. Are you referring the Prague version?

Exactly. I like the Philips "authorised" version too.

Quote from: George on March 09, 2009, 04:54:49 AM
After hearing her preludes, I decided to seek out a copy of the Nocturnes.

When I first started listening to classical music, I had a narrow definition of pianists/composers/works that I enjoy. As a result of coming here, I was encouraged to expand my definition of what I found to be acceptable and ultimately enjoyable. As a result, I have enjoyed many pianists/composers/works that I probably never would have given a second thought. I expected that the pendulum would swing back and I would begin to narrow my focus again, to a more reasonable degree. For some reason, this never really happened. I haven't (perhaps yet?) found a specific taste for certain composers/works. Who knows? Perhaps it will change in the future. Sure would save me a lot of money.  ;D Until that day (if it comes), I will enjoy the journey.

Bo'Selecta

Mandryka

Re my interest in Fiorentino, I just noticed that someone has posted him playing the complete Chopin Etudes -- opus 10 and opus 25 -- on youtube.

They sound excellent to me.

There must have been a recording of him doing this -- does anyone know if it is available anywhere?

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2009, 12:28:07 PM
Re my interest in Fiorentino, I just noticed that someone has posted him playing the complete Chopin Etudes -- opus 10 and opus 25 -- on youtube.

They sound excellent to me.

There must have been a recording of him doing this -- does anyone know if it is available anywhere?

Yes, probably on LP and possibly by Saga on CD but both are well oop. APR have plans to release them (along with other Chopin works).

The SF discography site set up by Lumpe is down at the moment. In it he lists all the recordings of SF and also warns of ones, from the Concert Artists label (Barrington-Coupe), that are suspicious. From memory I believe that the Etudes are genuine.

Where on Youtube is this?
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on March 10, 2009, 12:34:32 PM
Yes, probably on LP and possibly by Saga on CD but both are well oop. APR have plans to release them (along with other Chopin works).

The SF discography site set up by Lumpe is down at the moment. In it he lists all the recordings of SF and also warns of ones, from the Concert Artists label (Barrington-Coupe), that are suspicious. From memory I believe that the Etudes are genuine.

Where on Youtube is this?

Here's a link to Opus 10 No 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q971rlKk_x0

I plan on taking the set off with this rather marvelous tool:

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/index.php

I sent a message to the guy who uploaded them thanking him and asking for info about the recording.

By the way do you know about the Fiorentino Schubert disc?  Not the D960 but this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Sonatas-Nos-13-Impromptus/dp/B000094PWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236718363&sr=8-2

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on March 10, 2009, 12:53:32 PM
Here's a link to Opus 10 No 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q971rlKk_x0

I plan on taking the set off with this rather marvelous tool:

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/index.php

I sent a message to the guy who uploaded them thanking him and asking for info about the recording.

By the way do you know about the Fiorentino Schubert disc?  Not the D960 but this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Sonatas-Nos-13-Impromptus/dp/B000094PWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236718363&sr=8-2

Thanks for that - enjoying them now!

I have that Schubert disc it is excellent, but then again most of what SF does is.
Cheers

Holden

Holden

From Eric Lumpe's Fiorentino website.

Etudes, op. 10 ##1 - 12
recorded: 8 July 1959 London, Conway Hall

recording unissued

-Etudes, op. 10 ##1 - 12
recorded: 8 January 1962 London, Greenwich Borough Hall

LP:  Fidelio ATL 4021 / TLS 6009 (1962)  (was also issued under the name of "Auguste du Maurier")
       Egmont ATL 4021 (1962)
       Summit LSU 1017 (1962) (see appendix)
       Summit LSU 1018 (1962)  (op.10 ##3, 5 & 12 only) (see appendix)
       Fidelio ATL 4098 / TLS 6035 (1965) (op.10 ##3, 5 & 12 only)
MC: Concert Artist/Fidelio ATL-TC-5023 (1984)

Etudes, op. 10 ##4, 6, 8 & 10
recorded: 13 July 1997 Newport, RI, Ochre Court (live performance)

CD: Newport Music Festival "In Memory of Sergio Fiorentino" (1999)

-Etudes, op. 25 ##1 - 12
recorded: 4 March 1959 London, Hornsey Town Hall

LP: Summit ATL 4023 / TLS 6050 (1965)
      Summit LSU 1018 (1962)  (op. 25 #11 only, without slow introduction, most likely from the 1962 session when op. 10 was recorded)

BTW, I'm very impressed with what I've heard so far and I'm a bit of a Chopin Etudes fan with complete versions from
Pollini, Cziffra, Gavrilov, Wirssaladze, Cortot, Ashkenazy (both), Perahia, Arrau, Anievas, Ginzburg (Op 25) Sokolov (Op 25) and many other non complete performances.

So with only a brief comparison so far this would have to rank up with some of the top versions IMHO.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

I've just been listening to Gekic's Third Sonata, which arrived in the post a few days ago.

He certainly has his own way with this piece-- he makes it sound quite different from anyone else.

But then this sonata is like that. Think of the great Thirds -- My list would include Bolet and  Fiorentino And Pogorelich maybe. They all sound so totally distinctive.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys made of Gekic's Third? I like it a lot -- though I'm not totally convinced that the first movement hangs together, I think what he does with it is interesting and the rest is damn good and I am glad to own it.

orbital

As much as I admire his pianism, I am not convinced by his third sonata.
However, there are lots of positive things to write about it. First and foremost, his ability to bring out voices that have generally been left in the dark by most other pianists. I have never heard a sonata no3 that sounds this contapuntal. Just like his Ballade no.1, it is revelatory in many ways. But the end result (not only for the first movement alone, but the whole piece) is too scholarly and is almost as it was played alongside a metronome.

I think my favorite b minor sonata is that of Virsaladze's on her Russian Piano school CD.

George

I have only heard my Gekic PS 3 once, but I try and relisten. Don't tell Moravec  ;) , but Gekic is my favorite living pianist. 

orbital

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 02:41:22 AM
Gekic is my favorite living pianist. 
I have not heard enough to form a definitiv opinion yet.  He certainly has a great  technique and touch.

George

Quote from: orbital on March 16, 2009, 03:08:22 AM
I have not heard enough to form a definitiv opinion yet.  He certainly has a great  technique and touch.

Yes, power, technique and poetry, that rare combination.

Mandryka

Quote from: orbital on March 16, 2009, 01:12:30 AM
First and foremost, his ability to bring out voices that have generally been left in the dark by most other pianists. I have never heard a sonata no3 that sounds this contapuntal.

Agreed

But the end result (not only for the first movement alone, but the whole piece) is too scholarly and is almost as it was played alongside a metronome.

Although I have reservations as you know, I don't quite feel that. My problem with the first movement was with the logic. It didn't quite flow right.

I'll listen again with what you have said in mind though.

I think my favorite b minor sonata is that of Virsaladze's on her Russian Piano school CD.

Don't know it I'm afraid. Yet.

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 02:41:22 AM
Gekic is my favorite living pianist. 

I think he's good -- those Chopin Etudes are outstanding as is the second of the Scherzos on that CD.

Have any of you guys heard his Scriabin/Handel/Liszt CD? I feel quite tempted to buy it, dispite some  knocking reviews.

Quote from: Holden on March 10, 2009, 02:23:29 PM
Thanks for that - enjoying them now!

I have that Schubert disc it is excellent, but then again most of what SF does is.

Yes it is -- I have heard it now. I am going to buy the whole Firorentino dicography if  I can.

ezodisy

Quote from: Mandryka on March 16, 2009, 09:15:14 AM

I think he's good -- those Chopin Etudes are outstanding as is the second of the Scherzos on that CD.

I can't stand the way he plays the third scherzo from that recital. I think it sounds awful, no taste, all disjointed and flashy. The first is one of the greatest Chopin performances ever IMO though

Mandryka

Quote from: ezodisy on March 17, 2009, 12:35:31 AM
I can't stand the way he plays the third scherzo from that recital. I think it sounds awful, no taste, all disjointed and flashy. The first is one of the greatest Chopin performances ever IMO though

You've made me worried that I mixed them up -- I'll  check when I get home.

ezodisy

well you might not agree of course

some great performances of the first scherzo - Gekic, Brand, Pogorelich, Sirota and others I'm sure

Mandryka

Quote from: ezodisy on March 17, 2009, 08:20:48 AM
well you might not agree of course

some great performances of the first scherzo - Gekic, Brand, Pogorelich, Sirota and others I'm sure
+ Bolet. + Rubinstein (early on Naxos) + Moiseiwitch. I need to check  Richter -- can't remember, but I expect it was a great performance since it suits his extroversion.

And there's Cascioli -- the last time I listened I thought it was just full of bluster, but it may have been my mood rather than the performance.

Did Cortot do it? Odd how there don't seem to be any evangelical Cortot fans around. And I've never heard Michelangeli do it. Maybe he never did.

Tell me ezodisy  and everyone else, how good is that  Virsaladze Third Sonata that Holden rates? Is it  so good it's worth the £35 being asked for it?

On the one hand it sounds a lot of money for a single CD.

On the other it's about one tank of petrol.