Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

orbital

Quote from: George on February 03, 2009, 07:27:47 AM
I'm curious, are picks still the same almost 2 years later?
George, I owe you an apology for being so late in coming back to this  :-[ :-[ :-[

The list is probably the same, mostly because I have not acquired many complete sets recently. I don't want to downgrade Ashkenazy, I think he is still pretty good in most repertoire, but he does not come up among the top choices as much)

Ballades: Barere's truncated 4th still rules for me. As for the complete set Ashkenazy is replaced by Gavrilov. I've heard many wonderful 1st ballades in the meantime though. Gekic's revelatory performance comes to mind of course. and that one by Zafariants, too)
Etudes:  Ciani, Gavrilov, Cortot, Sokolov(op25) - no essential change here.
Impromptus: Rubinstein, Sokolov (Francois can be added now)
Mazurkas: Luisada Complete set, Sofronitsky, Kapell - no change here either.
Nocturnes: Tipo, Rubinstein, Moravec, Ciani (I have not samples any new complete sets since... maybe Ciccolini might be after, but he is too solemn for my taste)
Barcarolle: Arrau, Cherkassy, Freire (I have somehow missed Moravec's excellent reading until recently  :o)
Fantasie op 49 : Arrau, Cherkassy,
PS 2: Brand, Sokolov (Sokolov's tops IMO, but I've also come to like Francois recently as well)
PS 3: Sokolov, Chekassy (Virsaladze added)
Preludes: Zhukov, Ashkenazy, Bolet, Pletnev, Sofronitsky (I don't know what I was thinking putting Sofronitsky in there. The more I listened to his set, the more dull it started to sound. So it is nowhere near top choice for me anymore. Take him out and add Pogorelich)
Waltzes: Rubinstein,  Cortot (same)
PC's: too many to name  (still too many to name, but I very much like Sokolov's both renditions for #1, the pianist I have not been able to name that plays the Tausig re-orchestrated version is very good, Hoffman is among my definite favorites, too. For the second one, I like Haskil/Markevitch the most. And you know my affection for the chamber version  of both concerti. Shiraga is excellent IMO)

LouisLee

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM
To continue a discussion begun on the previous board:

Off the top of my head: 

Preludes: Argerich for a white-hot, extrovert performance. Moravec for a more poetic, subdued take. Both are emotional, though here (and below) I don't know about which is truer to the score.

Nocturnes: Rubinstein's second set, comes on two CD's with a great recording of the Scherzos. Or Moravec, again for his gorgeous tone and better sonics. Or Arrau, who I enjoy most of all for his deep, expressive readings.

Ballades: I really like Perahia here in all four. I like Rubinstein for a more extrovert approach.

Mazurkas: Luisada is great, very romantic with tons of rubato. Rubinstein is good too.

Etudes: Richter's my favorite here, but he didn't record them all. Ashkenazy has more refinement, but still is intense. Perahia is a bit less intense, but very poetic.

Waltzes: I recently got Lipatti here and enjoy his playing. For better sound and great performance and value, Ashkenazy is excellent. His set includes the Preludes and the Schuerzos. This 2 CD set is a great intro to his Chopin, which I find solid, consistent and impressive. Haven't heard Rubinstein, but I know that the issue on RCA red seal is a better, clearer transfer than the one that appeared in the AR Collection.

Scherzos: Rubinstein, either coupled with his Nocturnes or his later version coupled with the Ballades. Richter has these recorded with many but not all of the Preludes on Regis.

Polonaises: Ashkenazy is the only one I have heard, but they are so good I haven't looked elsewhere.

Sonatas: For all three, I really love Andsnes. His are avail cheap too. Also, Ashkenazy's are coupled with his superb Etudes. Many other pianists have recorded individual sonatas, but I think its better to start with all three, especially since #1 is neglected.

Concertos: Argerich/Dutoit great performance and sonics. 

Lipatti was a genuis but died so early!!!   :'(

Please don't forget Lipatti's teacher Alfred Cortot.  :)

Besides the pianists you mentioned, in 1999 I attended Lasar Berman's concert in Hong Kong. His Chopin and Liszt were so great but it's quite difficult to find his CDs.

George

Quote from: orbital on March 25, 2009, 06:30:57 AM
George, I owe you an apology for being so late in coming back to this  :-[ :-[ :-[

Nah, but I am very glad to see that you did this for me! Thanks!  :)

Ballades: Barere's truncated 4th still rules for me. As for the complete set Ashkenazy is replaced by Gavrilov. I've heard many wonderful 1st ballades in the meantime though. Gekic's revelatory performance comes to mind of course. and that one by Zafariants, too)

This is one of the reasons I asked for your list, I didn't even know that Gavrilov recorded them. No love for Tipo or Moravec, huh? Gulda's are very interesting IMO.

Etudes:  Ciani, Gavrilov, Cortot, Sokolov(op25) - no essential change here.

I've heard all but the Ciani, is he your fave?

Impromptus: Rubinstein, Sokolov (Francois can be added now)

Here and elsewhere, which Rubinstein do you mean?

Mazurkas: Luisada Complete set, Sofronitsky, Kapell - no change here either.

Will get to Sofronitsky soon, as you know I love the Luisada ones. I also love Maryla Jonas's.

Nocturnes: Tipo, Rubinstein, Moravec, Ciani (I have not samples any new complete sets since... maybe Ciccolini might be after, but he is too solemn for my taste)

I have all three Rubinstein now and I think I like the first one best. Tipo is great of course, as is Moravec.

Preludes: Zhukov, Ashkenazy, Bolet, Pletnev, Sofronitsky (I don't know what I was thinking putting Sofronitsky in there. The more I listened to his set, the more dull it started to sound. So it is nowhere near top choice for me anymore. Take him out and add Pogorelich)

I need to hear that Pletnev again. Yes Pogo is great, as is Cortot's 1926? recording on Naxos. Haven't heard Zhukov, is he your fave?

George

Quote from: LouisLee on March 25, 2009, 07:08:45 AM
Please don't forget Lipatti's teacher Alfred Cortot.  :)

Yes, since the post you quoted, I have obtained the complete EMI set and the Naxos volumes. All wonderful, special stuff!

Besides the pianists you mentioned, in 1999 I attended Lasar Berman's concert in Hong Kong. His Chopin and Liszt were so great but it's quite difficult to find his CDs.

I got his Brilliant Box recently, so I'll look through it. His Moments Musicaux by Rachmaninov is great as well. PM me if you have trouble finding it.  :)

jwinter

Quote from: George on March 25, 2009, 09:14:23 AM

...I have all three Rubinstein [Nocturnes] now and I think I like the first one best.

I have them as well, but I'm still undecided.  The stereo was my first and only Nocturnes for a while (other than excerpts from Vasary), so I guess I imprinted on it.  I've been listening to mostly 50's Rubinstein for Chopin for a couple of weeks now, and it's definitely growing on me, but the stereo Nocturnes (and Mazurkas, and Ballades & Scherzi) are awfully darn good.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

Quote from: jwinter on March 25, 2009, 09:44:55 AM
I have them as well, but I'm still undecided.  The stereo was my first and only Nocturnes for a while (other than excerpts from Vasary), so I guess I imprinted on it.  I've been listening to mostly 50's Rubinstein for Chopin for a couple of weeks now, and it's definitely growing on me, but the stereo Nocturnes (and Mazurkas, and Ballades & Scherzi) are awfully darn good.

I love that although I have all three, they each have their own strengths (and weaknesses.) Not that I care about such things anymore, but it is quite easy to justify having all three sets.

orbital

Quote from: George on March 25, 2009, 09:14:23 AM

This is one of the reasons I asked for your list, I didn't even know that Gavrilov recorded them. No love for Tipo or Moravec, huh? Gulda's are very interesting IMO.
Re:Gavrilov... I think the CD was coupled with the 2nd sonata. Very good performances (as far as the set goes) IMO. My opinion of Gavrilov is quite high despite his peculiarities of late  >:D His GPOC set has the Rachmaninov MM's, so I'll try and get that one soon.
I don't think I've heard Tipo in the ballades, but no real love for Moravec there. As for Gulda, I don't know. I do have them, but I have not warmed up to him in anything I've heard, including his WTC  :o His preludes are abominable for my taste

I've heard all but the Ciani, is he your fave?
Close to being my fave. The good part is they are live, so there is so much raw energy and tension throughout. I love it.

Here and elsewhere, which Rubinstein do you mean?
Good question  ;D I like his earlier (30s) mazurkas for sure. As for the nocturnes, his 50s recording. The same for the ballades (except that critical mistake in the 4th!) and scherzi.

Will get to Sofronitsky soon, as you know I love the Luisada ones. I also love Maryla Jonas's.
I would recommend Kapell as well. I haven't had the chance to try out Jonas' beyond a couple.

I have all three Rubinstein now and I think I like the first one best. Tipo is great of course, as is Moravec.
I don't think I've heard the middle one (Rubi).

I need to hear that Pletnev again. Yes Pogo is great, as is Cortot's 1926? recording on Naxos. Haven't heard Zhukov, is he your fave?
Preludes are a special treat when they are live. This one is, so is Bolet's (plus there is the revered Arrau live which I still didn't hear... I think  ::)) I have a recording of Zhukov coupled with Scriabin's op11 preludes. Very forceful approach. Here is the sample of the all important no.12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2KQ9Oh0lY

rubio

Nice list!

Where can I find the Pletnev preludes?

No particular love for the Scherzos (which I like very much)? :)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Mandryka

Quote from: orbital on March 25, 2009, 10:06:33 AM
I have a recording of Zhukov coupled with Scriabin's op11 preludes. Very forceful approach. Here is the sample of the all important no.12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2KQ9Oh0lY

I world love to have that recording. Is it the complete preludes, or just a selection?

I like Zhukov very much and I have heard his Preludes on youtube and like them a lot.

I know Zhukov's Scriabin Op.11, and I agree  that they are good -- but to be honest I don't much like the music.

Re Mazurkas, I find it hard to enjoy complete sets -- mazurka after mazurka after mazurka after mazurka  . . . ; they don't seem to fit together too well either. So I tend to go for selections -- I think I like Jonas most, and Michelangeli.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

orbital

Quote from: Mandryka on March 25, 2009, 12:54:45 PM
I world love to have that recording. Is it the complete preludes, or just a selection?
Complete Op28, but the Op11 Scriabins are incomplete.

The CD can be ordered from russiandvd.

There is also this, which is probably a reincarnation:

Looks like this CD is discontinued, but CDBaby claims to have copies available here:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/evgeni102

I like Zhukov very much and I have heard his Preludes on youtube and like them a lot.

I know Zhukov's Scriabin Op.11, and I agree  that they are good -- but to be honest I don't much like the music.
Sonatas, op8 and op11 [and his Chopinesque PC] are probably my favorite Scriabin piano pieces. They are like nothing else. I recommend you give Softonitsky's op.11 a listen if you haven't had the chance to. A complete set may or may not be in existence. I do have a complete set, but sonics suggest they are collected from different recordings.

Re Mazurkas, I find it hard to enjoy complete sets -- mazurka after mazurka after mazurka after mazurka  . . . ; they don't seem to fit together too well either. So I tend to go for selections -- I think I like Jonas most, and Michelangeli.
I don't listen to whole sets in one sitting myself although there have been occasions when I've done that. They can get tiring, of course. Michelangeli recorded very few of them right? I like those that I've heard. The precious few that Moravec recorded are also worth checking out.

Peregrine

Re - Zhukov, there's a ravishing live recording of the Preludes from 1996 that's way up at the top of my list (As is most of what I own by him, partic. the live stuff)
Yes, we have no bananas

ezodisy

yeah I have the live recording but it's not uploaded. Anyone have a copy which is uploaded already? If not I'll get around to it on the weekend when there's time

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Mandryka

Quote from: Peregrine on March 26, 2009, 01:13:24 AM
Zhukov -

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8517fa91b1f0f3714012e8015643d9c8e8f422d5efe75ddd

These are all live recordings. Some cracking stuff in there IMO

Thankyou. I've been looking for that for ages.

Quote from: orbital on March 26, 2009, 12:03:48 AM
Michelangeli recorded very few of them right? I like those that I've heard. The precious few that Moravec recorded are also worth checking out.

Agreed about Moravec

Yes, ABM recorded just about a half dozen, but I cherish them. He seems to come straight to the point, to the heart of the music (that's nonsense I know but . . . )

Here's Jonas -- whom I also cherish for a sort of meloncholy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c5efdaabf63a08b7e62ea590dc5e5dbbef871c70c0b75781c95965eaa7bc68bc

I'll upload some Michelangeli Mazurkas over the weekend.

Are there any fans of Horowitz's  Mazurkas out there?

jwinter

Quote from: Peregrine on March 26, 2009, 01:13:24 AM
Zhukov -

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8517fa91b1f0f3714012e8015643d9c8e8f422d5efe75ddd

These are all live recordings. Some cracking stuff in there IMO

Much obliged, very curious to hear his Preludes :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Peregrine

Quote from: George on March 26, 2009, 03:11:36 AM
Thanks Simon!  :)

Quote from: Mandryka on March 26, 2009, 08:16:21 AM
Thankyou. I've been looking for that for ages.

Quote from: jwinter on March 26, 2009, 09:48:06 AM
Much obliged, very curious to hear his Preludes :)

No worries, hope you enjoy what you hear  :)
Yes, we have no bananas

Mandryka

Etudes:  Ciani. . .

I've heard people mention this guy over the years, but I have never heard him play.

Well -- your comment made me curious again so I checked him out on youtube -- there's a nocturne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqoCR2R6eL8

It seems very interesting to me. I'm curious about what other people think of this pianist as the only way to hear his etudes seems to involve a non - trivial investment in a 6 CD box!

Ballades: Barere's truncated 4th still rules for me.

I like that too. But I think I prefer Moiseiwitsch.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on March 26, 2009, 02:05:30 PM
I've heard people mention this guy over the years, but I have never heard him play.

Well -- your comment made me curious again so I checked him out on youtube -- there's a nocturne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqoCR2R6eL8

It seems very interesting to me. I'm curious about what other people think of this pianist as the only way to hear his etudes seems to involve a non - trivial investment in a 6 CD box!

I like that too. But I think I prefer Moiseiwitsch.

I've got the Ciani etudes and while interperpretatively they are not my number one choice, the live venue coupled with Ciani's excellent musicainship, puts them close.
Cheers

Holden

orbital

Quote from: Mandryka on March 26, 2009, 02:05:30 PM

He also has a live nocturnes set. It may be one of the very few instances where listening to their recording may beat actually being there  :D