Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: orbital on April 18, 2009, 07:51:49 AM
I am not sure if I've heard his Ballades  ::) I have to check. But his nocturnes and sonatas are not very interesting. If you want to hear something, I'd recommend you start with the concerti (but you don't like them much, right?)

Right. Though I love the slow movements.

I like his Rachmaninov. If you want something you are not going to like for sure, try his Debussy  >:D

I'll remember to forget to try it.  :-*

Mandryka

Quote from: orbital on April 18, 2009, 07:51:49 AM
I  But his nocturnes and sonatas are not very interesting.

Well -- what I'm saying is -- what I have become fascinated by is  that he brings out the counterpoint.

You may say it's counterpoint which doesn't really exist -- but I'm not so sure. He emphasises the  way all the different tunes all twist and dance around each other.

Also there's a cleanness about his piano tone which I like -- there's a place for the romantic soft focus of someone like Pletnev or Moravec, but I think it's refreshing to hear it played all sharp.

And I think that's very interesting. Especially in the nocturnes which can suffer from being over romanticised. You know what I mean -- played too plaintively.

He's not the best , like I said. He's not Micheangeli. He's not Sirota. He's not even Tipo.  But I would argue that what he does is very valuable.

I can imagine his Debussy may be a bit forceful -- a bit too much sf. But I'm happy to give it a try.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

orbital

Quote from: Mandryka on April 18, 2009, 09:35:51 AM
Well -- what I'm saying is -- what I have become fascinated by is  that he brings out the counterpoint.

You may say it's counterpoint which doesn't really exist -- but I'm not so sure. He emphasises the  way all the different tunes all twist and dance around each other.
There is counterpoint. We had a long and very educating discussion about cp in Chopin a while ago. Some insights by Luke in that thread have opened my ears to a very different Chopin, in fact. And after hearing Gekic play the g minor ballade, there is no doubt in my mind that Chopin did not only include cp in his music but he had mastered it.

Also there's a cleanness about his piano tone which I like -- there's a place for the romantic soft focus of someone like Pletnev or Moravec, but I think it's refreshing to hear it played all sharp.
Yes, I can understand that. THat's why I mentioned Francois. Maybe he is not as sharp but his anti-romantic approach in general satisfies my thirst for such Chopin.
Chopin and Weissenberg, for me, is like clash of the titans. But Chopin wins  :-*

And I think that's very interesting. Especially in the nocturnes which can suffer from being over romanticised. You know what I mean -- played too plaintively.
God, I've grown to hate that. I can't bring myself to listen to the likes of Pires or Arrau in Nocturnes. Stop with the whining and play already  ;D

I can imagine his Debussy may be a bit forceful -- a bit too much sf. But I'm happy to give it a try.
It is forceful, yes. It would not be my first choice, but it is almost a guilty pleasure to hear some Debussy that is not dreamy.

His Scarlatti recordings are a must too, if you have not heard them yet. Can you imagine him in K87?

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on April 18, 2009, 09:35:51 AM

Indeed, if you look at the previous incarnation of GMG you'll probably find that discussion on Chopin's mastery of counterpoint. (My guess it's in Fighting over Chopin, too  -  you can just google those three words and you're there. Only on GMG!.)

All really interesting Chopin works are not just informed by beautiful melody but also by counterpoint. And most (if not all) good performers bring out Chopin's counterpoint. This is not the same BTW as putting the bottom on top, so to speak.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on April 18, 2009, 11:51:07 PM
. This is not the same BTW as putting the bottom on top, so to speak.

OK.

So who does Chopin well, do you think? -- who brings out the counterpoint and hiding obscurig the melodic beauty?

You see -- I think Weissenberg achieves it -- especially on his DVD.

Maybe Michelangeli too, the more I think about it.

Quote from: orbital on April 18, 2009, 09:54:05 AM
THat's why I mentioned Francois.

Francois I don't know at all -- but your comments have encouraged me to check him out.

it is almost a guilty pleasure to hear some Debussy that is not dreamy.

I must say I am gobsmacked by Michelangeli's Debussy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on April 19, 2009, 02:28:22 AM
I must say I am gobsmacked by Michelangeli's Debussy.

Me too, buddy!  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: George on April 19, 2009, 05:03:29 AM
Me too, buddy!  :)

What are some of the best Michelangeli's recordings?  I think I have some on DG LP but have to search for it ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on April 19, 2009, 06:06:39 AM
What are some of the best Michelangeli's recordings?  I think I have some on DG LP but have to search for it ...

Just started this up (as I am no expert on Michelangeli and I am as curious as you are)- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli   :)

Lilas Pastia

Recently  listened to: Chopin's 1831 Pleyel piano manfully handled by Janusz Olejiczak. Very good sounding instrument, as far away as could be from the grand, grand, grand pianos of today (I'm thinking of Arrau and Michelangeli in particular). Rubinstein comes closest in phrasing and articlulation, but his sound is more aristocratic, less earthy.

jwinter

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on May 12, 2009, 08:18:06 PM
...manfully handled by Janusz Olejiczak...

Somehow I think the mental image I'm having is not the mental image you were having... ;D
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on March 25, 2009, 06:30:57 AM
the pianist I have not been able to name that plays the Tausig re-orchestrated version is very good,

You haven't been looking close enough to home. The perpetrator is Istanbul born, armenian-french pianist Setrak Yavruyan. Orchestra is Baltic Philharmonic under Wojciech Rajski.
If you're interested in other achievements of Mr.Setrak (that is usually how's he billed) he recorded complete Bizet piano music on HM (had no idea Bizet composed for piano, let alone two disc worth).

dirkronk

Quote from: Drasko on May 27, 2009, 01:46:51 PM
If you're interested in other achievements of Mr.Setrak (that is usually how's he billed) he recorded complete Bizet piano music on HM (had no idea Bizet composed for piano, let alone two disc worth).

I recall Setrak coming to San Antonio back in the very late 1970s or (more probably) early 1980s. Played a couple of concerts and showed up at a record store for an album signing. Somewhere around here, I've got an original gatefold LP album of Liszt by Setrak, though I don't recall offhand whether I ever got him to sign it...
:)

Dirk

Bunny

There is counterpoint. We had a long and very educating discussion about cp in Chopin a while ago. Some insights by Luke in that thread have opened my ears to a very different Chopin, in fact. And after hearing Gekic play the g minor ballade, there is no doubt in my mind that Chopin did not only include cp in his music but he had mastered it.
Yes, I can understand that. THat's why I mentioned Francois. Maybe he is not as sharp but his anti-romantic approach in general satisfies my thirst for such Chopin.
Chopin and Weissenberg, for me, is like clash of the titans. But Chopin wins  :-*
God, I've grown to hate that. I can't bring myself to listen to the likes of Pires or Arrau in Nocturnes. Stop with the whining and play already  ;D
It is forceful, yes. It would not be my first choice, but it is almost a guilty pleasure to hear some Debussy that is not dreamy.

His Scarlatti recordings are a must too, if you have not heard them yet. Can you imagine him in K87?

ArkivMusic has re-issued his Scarlatti, but if he has more than one Scarlatti recording I'm not aware of it.

Coopmv

How about this EMI 3-LP set?  I have owned this pristine set for 20 years - played probably only once ...

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on May 27, 2009, 06:51:49 PM
How about this EMI 3-LP set?  I have owned this pristine set for 20 years - played probably only once ...

And how was it?

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 28, 2009, 03:01:39 PM
And how was it?

It was probably at least 10 years since I last played it.  The piano playing was excellent from what I can remember ... 

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on May 28, 2009, 04:38:27 PM

It was probably at least 10 years since I last played it.  The piano playing was excellent from what I can remember ... 

Ten years between playings?  No wonder I don't bother with vinyl anymore!  It's just too perishable. I don't suppose that was ever released on cd, or was it?  No matter, it would be oop by now, anyway.  Pity! 

George

Quote from: Bunny on May 28, 2009, 06:50:10 PM
Ten years between playings?  No wonder I don't bother with vinyl anymore!  It's just too perishable. I don't suppose that was ever released on cd, or was it?  No matter, it would be oop by now, anyway.  Pity! 

I know. The major labels are waaaaay overdue to make the entire current and OOP catalog available for legal downloads. I can't figure out why they haven't already done this, but then much of what labels do or do not do make little sense to me.  :-\   

Bunny

Does anyone know anything about a recording of the complete nocturnes by Peter Katin?   

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 28, 2009, 06:50:10 PM

I really have no clue if this set has ever been released on CD.  You never know about these record companies.  Philips let most of the recordings by the late Swiss harpsichordist Christiane Jaccottet to go OOP.  Jaccottet was an outstanding harpsichordist.  I came across this 40-CD set by some small German label a few weeks ago.  Lo and behold, all Jaccottet's Bach harpsichord works are found in this set.  I bought the set just to get these works by her ...