Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Late last night I was going through Itunes on my Ipod Touch looking for a new recording of Chopin's Nocturnes and came across the recording shown below.  Further "research" came up with a 10/10 review at ClassicsToday France by Christophe Huss.  It's also available as a download from Amazon, but there's no sign of it ever having been released as a cd in the USA -- no listing at ArkivMusic.com and nothing at BRO either.  Has anyone heard this, or heard about it?  I hesitate because it's  a pain ordering from the EC nowadays because of the constantly fluctuating currencies, and the nasty fees being charged by the credit cards for the currency exchange services, so I really want to make sure that it's going to be worth every penny I would be shelling out.  Btw, the samples at Itunes and Amazon sound really nice.  Note: the cover shown at Amazon download store is for a different album; Itunes shows the correct cover.

Chopin Nocturnes (Intégrale) - Pascal Amoyel

George

I think I used to buy weed from that dude in high school.  ;D

Seriously, though - it looks like sidoze was also interested in this pianist's work as well Perhaps if he returns he have something to say about the CDs.

Bunny

Quote from: George on June 10, 2009, 03:06:33 PM
I think I used to buy weed from that dude in high school.  ;D

Seriously, though - it looks like sidoze was also interested in this pianist's work as well Perhaps if he returns he have something to say about the CDs.

Quoting your link:

I've read a couple that cite his complete Chopin Nocturnes as a reference recording.

Reference Recording?  That doesn't happen often, but then again that's from French critics writing about a French pianist.  If I can't find it available here for a reasonable price, I may just buy it at Itunes.  The samples sound very, very good as opposed to samples of Michèle Boegner's Nocturnes Integrale which sound awful!  The samples I heard make the piano sound as if it has a warped, or in some other way damaged soundboard.  I only hope that those samples do not actually reflect the sound of the album accurately.  If the piano does have a bad soundboard, which is entirely possible with a piano from 1836, then they shouldn't be using it except as a curiousity, certainly not for an intégrale. 

Brian

Quote from: Bunny on June 10, 2009, 05:32:03 PM
Quoting your link:

I've read a couple that cite his complete Chopin Nocturnes as a reference recording.

Reference Recording?  That doesn't happen often, but then again that's from French critics writing about a French pianist.  If I can't find it available here for a reasonable price, I may just buy it at Itunes.  The samples sound very, very good as opposed to samples of Michèle Boegner's Nocturnes Integrale which sound awful!  The samples I heard make the piano sound as if it has a warped, or in some other way damaged soundboard.  I only hope that those samples do not actually reflect the sound of the album accurately.  If the piano does have a bad soundboard, which is entirely possible with a piano from 1836, then they shouldn't be using it except as a curiousity, certainly not for an intégrale.  
It is an 1836 piano, original parts. The samples are accurate. I looooooove that Boegner disc ... one of my favorites, almost the only nocturnes I listen to these days  8)

FideLeo

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2009, 05:40:26 PM
It is an 1836 piano, original parts. The samples are accurate. I looooooove that Boegner disc ... one of my favorites, almost the only nocturnes I listen to these days  8)

Me, too.  And the piano surely has nice looks!  :)  

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2009, 05:40:26 PM

How many sets do you own?

ezodisy

Quote from: Bunny on June 10, 2009, 02:59:24 PM
Late last night I was going through Itunes on my Ipod Touch looking for a new recording of Chopin's Nocturnes and came across the recording shown below.  Further "research" came up with a 10/10 review at ClassicsToday France by Christophe Huss.  It's also available as a download from Amazon, but there's no sign of it ever having been released as a cd in the USA -- no listing at ArkivMusic.com and nothing at BRO either.  Has anyone heard this, or heard about it?  I hesitate because it's  a pain ordering from the EC nowadays because of the constantly fluctuating currencies, and the nasty fees being charged by the credit cards for the currency exchange services, so I really want to make sure that it's going to be worth every penny I would be shelling out.  Btw, the samples at Itunes and Amazon sound really nice.  Note: the cover shown at Amazon download store is for a different album; Itunes shows the correct cover.

Chopin Nocturnes (Intégrale) - Pascal Amoyel

I always wanted to hear this but didn't get around to it. Review it if you download it please

Brian

Quote from: MN Dave on June 11, 2009, 04:25:00 AM
How many sets do you own?
Arrau, Pires, Rubenstein, Boegner. Not too many.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2009, 09:24:28 AM
Arrau, Pires, Rubenstein, Boegner. Not too many.

That's a good bunch. I don't have Boegner.  :(

Herman

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2009, 09:24:28 AM
Arrau, Pires, Rubinstein, Boegner. Not too many.

You might want to check out Moravec's Nocturnes.

Holden

Quote from: Herman on June 11, 2009, 10:40:01 AM

I want to check out Fiorentino's complete Nocturnes but fear that they will never be released on CD.
Cheers

Holden

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Herman on June 11, 2009, 10:40:01 AM

Those have been on my back-burner forever.

George

The Complete Works of Fryderyk Chopin on historical instruments, in a version close to the original. This project is realised on historical instruments from Chopin's times: pianos by Erard (Paris, 1849) and Pleyel (Paris, 1848). Both instruments are excellently preserved, meeting every requirement for concert performance, and allow Chopin's music to be heard just as it was written. Key features of the instruments' construction and mechanism, allied to their characteristic tonal qualities, create a different set of possibilities for interpretation from those of modern-day pianos. These new recordings of the complete works of Chopin allow contemporary listeners to discover the historical models, bringing us closer to Romantic times and revealing the long forgotten soundworld of that era.

The first CDs contain the following recordings:

* Fou Ts' ong - Mazurkas
   * Nelson Goerner - Ballades, 3 Nocturnes
   * Ka Ling Colleen Lee - Polonaise-fantasy in A flat major, Fantasy in F minor, Sonata in B minor, Mazurkas, Preludes
   * Dang Thai Son and the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century/Frans Brüggen - Concerto in F minor, Op. 21, Concerto in E minor, Op. 11
   * Wojciech Świtała - Preludes
   * Tatiana Shebanova - Waltzes, Barcarola, Berceuse, Ecossaises
   * Tatiana Shebanova - Etudes
   * Janusz Olejniczak - Sonata in B flat minor, Op. 35, Scherzo in B flat minor, Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Waltzes
   * Nelson Goerner - Works for piano and orchestra
   * Kevin Kenner - Scherzo in C sharp minor, Polonaise in c minor,
     Op. 40/2, 4 Impromptus, Nocturnes, Op. 32 no. 1 and 2, Mazurkas, Op. 59, Prelude in C sharp minor, Prelude in A flat major

Forthcoming:

* Dina Yoffe - Scherzos in B minor and E major, Polonaise in E Flat minor, Mazurkas, Nocturnes
   * Janusz Olejniczak - Polonaises in F sharp minor op. 44, in A major op. 40 No. 1, in A flat op. 53, Nocturnes, Mazurkas
   * Andrzej Bauer, Jakub Jakowicz, Krzysztof Broja - Chamber music: Introduction and Polonaise in C major for piano and cello op. 3, Trio in G minor for piano, violin and cello op. 8, Grand duo concertante in E major for piano and cello Sonata in G minor for piano and cello op. 65
   * Dang Thai Son - Nocturnes (selection)

More Information Here and here.

Maciek

That's the series I was asking about half a year ago.

Quote from: Maciek on January 20, 2009, 05:16:36 AM
At the end of last year a Diapason d'Or was awarded to Nelson Goerner's recordings from the Chopin HIP series I mentioned once (a long time ago on the other thread). Has anyone heard those? Could anyone comment?

George

Quote from: Maciek on July 01, 2009, 07:09:46 AM
That's the series I was asking about half a year ago.

Sorry the response was so late.  ;D

Bunny

Quote from: ezodisy on June 11, 2009, 08:48:58 AM
I always wanted to hear this but didn't get around to it. Review it if you download it please

I finally found that available at tower.com, and just loaded it in the cd player.  The first piece is the Berceuse and it's really, really good.  I only wish I had the time to sit and listen to it carefully right now, but it's going to be a day filled with things put off for too long. ::)

Booklet says that Amoyel is playing an old Steinway, and it does not sound like the modern Model D.  The tone is a bit softer, a less bell like tone -- slightly muffled, nasal in quality -- more like the pre World War 2 Steinways.  He also says that he is using the pedal far less because the period pianos had less reverberance than modern pianos so he is going to approximate that sound.  I'll post more when I've had more of a  chance to listen.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on July 02, 2009, 04:23:15 PM
Just found this great Chopin link  :)

Morning,   Great link, thanks George.  It has been bookmarked so I can check it out later ...

Mandryka

B flat minor sonata -- Alfred Cortot -- Naxos (Obert-Thorn) -- rec. 1953

This combines the drama of Natan Brand with the intensity and singing legato of Michelangeli.

The sound is very good -- it's like having Cortot playing in your living room.

It's mindbogglingly great.

What I now need to do is reappraise his earlier recordings in the light of what I now know about the piano tone he made.

And what sonority!-- so dramatic, at times percussive even, at times hallucinatory.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

I imagine that Chopin Piano Sonata performance is also in the multi-volume Cortot Chopin series on Naxos? Can you tell me the date of that recording, Mandryka?