Peregrine

Quote from: George on June 10, 2009, 03:06:33 PM
I think I used to buy weed from that dude in high school.  ;D

;D
Yes, we have no bananas

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on August 04, 2009, 09:06:30 AM
B flat minor sonata -- Alfred Cortot -- Naxos (Obert-Thorn) -- rec. 1953

This combines the drama of Natan Brand with the intensity and singing legato of Michelangeli.

The sound is very good -- it's like having Cortot playing in your living room.

It's mindbogglingly great.

What I now need to do is reappraise his earlier recordings in the light of what I now know about the piano tone he made.

And what sonority!-- so dramatic, at times percussive even, at times hallucinatory.
Shoot! I thought about ordering that earlier this year when it was on sale for $5 at MDT, but didn't.  :( :(

George

Quote from: Brian on August 04, 2009, 03:22:59 PM
Shoot! I thought about ordering that earlier this year when it was on sale for $5 at MDT, but didn't.  :( :(

I got a ton of those Naxos CDs on my wishlist. I am sure another sale will come along.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: George on August 04, 2009, 03:26:55 PM
I got a ton of those Naxos CDs on my wishlist. I am sure another sale will come along.  :)

The only problem is the same MDT deals on Naxos Historical that were offered back in March will not be quite as good since the exchange rate has gone from the 1.40's to almost 1.70's.

George

Quote from: Coopmv on August 04, 2009, 04:50:01 PM
The only problem is the same MDT deals on Naxos Historical that were offered back in March will not be quite as good since the exchange rate has gone from the 1.40's to almost 1.70's.

True, but those Naxos are a steal even at their current price IMO.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on August 04, 2009, 05:21:16 PM
True, but those Naxos are a steal even at their current price IMO.

I sure am glad that I bought all those Cortot Chopin CD's on Naxos Historical back in March.  My thanks to George for giving me the heads up ...

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 04, 2009, 11:24:06 AM
I imagine that Chopin Piano Sonata performance is also in the multi-volume Cortot Chopin series on Naxos? Can you tell me the date of that recording, Mandryka? 

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Mandryka

You gotta get it George -- it is a real revelation.

Sure -- it's a bit of a fast interpretation.

And maybe there are slips -- but they don't bother me at all.

What is amazing is you can actually hear what St Alfred Cortot sounded like in this sonata -- the piano sound is like, hi fi quality.

And that gives you a completely fresh perspective on those earlier recordings.

The Kinderszenen on the same CD is good too -- but I prefer the one from the 40s on APR. But both are good really -- the 194os Kinderszenen is slightly faster, the later one has slightly more speces between the notes, if you get my meaning.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 05, 2009, 04:59:42 AM
You gotta get it George -- it is a real revelation.

Sure -- it's a bit of a fast interpretation.

And maybe there are slips -- but they don't bother me at all.

What is amazing is you can actually hear what St Alfred Cortot sounded like in this sonata -- the piano sound is like, hi fi quality.

And that gives you a completely fresh perspective on those earlier recordings.

I'll add to my bulging, 16+ page wishlist.  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: George on August 05, 2009, 05:02:32 AM
I'll add to my bulging, 16+ page wishlist.  ;D

If the stock market advances another 15%, my shopping list will only lengthen by 15% ...    ;D

Drasko

Quote from: Maciek on January 20, 2009, 05:16:36 AM
At the end of last year a Diapason d'Or was awarded to Nelson Goerner's recordings from the Chopin HIP series I mentioned once (a long time ago on the other thread). Has anyone heard those? Could anyone comment?

Almost an hour was alloted to first ten discs from that set at yesterdays CD Review on BBC radio 3. Reviewers were quite enthusiastic about Goerner. Have to say I was more impressed by Wojciech Switala, might even buy that disc of preludes.

You can listen to the program till next Saturday:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mj7r9

Maciek

Thanks for the link, I can actually listen to it without any workarounds! (Not always the case with BBC ;D).

[I think I actually own one Wojciech Świtała Chopin disc, probably this one, but I'd have to dig it up to make sure... :-[ ]

Maciek

Finished listening to the BBC review. I might try to seek out the Świtała and Goerner discs myself, though I'm not putting them at the very top of my wishlist just yet.

Funny how they call Goerner (40) "a bit old now", while they think that Świtała is "young" ("the younger player")...

(Świtała is, of course, 2 years older than Goerner. ::))

Mandryka

Goerner is playing a Chopin concert in The Wigmore Hall very soon -- I have a ticket. But on a Steinway I think.

I know he has his loyal followers.

I have some bootleg stuff of his from concerts -- all Chopin -- lots of Etudes, some nocturnes. And I must say I think he's very good. He's got a face, a personality.

ccar

Two mytical almost forgotten pianist-interpreters. Very few recordings. But the musicality and subtle colours they left in Chopin (try the Mazurkas and the Nocturnes) may be a rare experience.  

Carlos        

Herman

I have the Maryla Jonas cd and it's pretty cool.

Drasko

Jonas' mazurkas are indeed among the finest. Here is one of them, if anybody needs a sample:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,4659.msg179511.html#msg179511

George