Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on April 04, 2010, 07:26:25 PM
Does this mean that you are a big fan of Horowitz's Chopin?

Yes, I am-- but you have to be careful about the performances you choose, because he is so variable. He played the same pieces over and over again for about 50 years -- sometime he played them astonishingly well, sometimes terribly. often he played them in a mediocre way.

I strongly recommend a disc in his GPE Vol. 3 which has a selection of Mazurkas, Etudes and Preludes, selected from his entire career.

Also his Op. 44 Polonaise in F#-minor and the Introduction & Rondo in E-flat major, Op.16.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Scarpia

Listening to the Waltzes by Nikita Magaloff.  Not the deepest music that Chopin wrote, but much refinement and melodic invention.  Magaloff makes the music sound wonderful, and Philips gives him excellent sound.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on April 08, 2010, 04:12:06 PM
Listening to the Waltzes by Nikita Magaloff.  Not the deepest music that Chopin wrote, but much refinement and melodic invention.  Magaloff makes the music sound wonderful, and Philips gives him excellent sound.

I recently purchased that one but haven't given it a good listen yet. Glad you like it.

Scarpia

Quote from: MN Dave on April 08, 2010, 04:18:03 PM
I recently purchased that one but haven't given it a good listen yet. Glad you like it.

I see.  I didn't know they were in current release.  I came upon the old Philips complete edition that was released years ago (mid 90's).  This is not the sort of music that changes your life, but I think you won't be disappointed.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on April 08, 2010, 04:26:59 PM
I see.  I didn't know they were in current release.  I came upon the old Philips complete edition that was released years ago (mid 90's).  This is not the sort of music that changes your life, but I think you won't be disappointed.

Yes, it's available from Eloquence.

Drasko

karlhenning

Really enjoying Garrick Ohlsson in the Opus 28 Préludes, e tutti i Mazurkas.

George

Quote from: Drasko on April 13, 2010, 04:54:20 AM
Released on Connoisseur Society LP in 1974. Never on CD. Does anyone know if LP rips could be found?

Can you type out the specifics? I am at work and can't access youtube.

Otherwise I can try later to check when I get home.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 13, 2010, 05:20:38 AM

On the EMI label or the Arabesque label?

karlhenning

Reissues on Helios (Hyperion).

Drasko

Quote from: George on April 13, 2010, 08:58:20 AM
Can you type out the specifics? I am at work and can't access youtube.

Chopin The Four Scherzi - Antonio Barbosa - 1974 Connoisseur Society CSQ 2071

George

Quote from: Drasko on April 13, 2010, 11:03:52 AM

Shall I assume that you've checked Demonoid and the public torrents already?

Drasko

Quote from: George on April 13, 2010, 11:21:54 AM
Shall I assume that you've checked Demonoid and the public torrents already?

I'm not a member at Demonoid, few google searches I tried came up with nothing.

George

Quote from: Drasko on April 13, 2010, 11:55:02 AM
I'm not a member at Demonoid, few google searches I tried came up with nothing.

I'll check Demonoid later.

George

Quote from: Drasko on April 13, 2010, 11:03:52 AM

Sorry, nothing on demonoid.  :-\

Herman

The funny thing is I dug out the Ohlsson Mazurkae recently, too, the Arabesque cds. Previously I thought Ohlssohn was a bitten too wooden, rigid, for this music, but this time around there were a few I rather enjoyed. Virtually no one is persuasive in every single Mazurka.

Brian

Quote from: Herman on April 14, 2010, 02:13:03 AM
The funny thing is I dug out the Ohlsson Mazurkae recently, too, the Arabesque cds. Previously I thought Ohlssohn was a bitten too wooden, rigid, for this music, but this time around there were a few I rather enjoyed. Virtually no one is persuasive in every single Mazurka.

I got the big Ohlsson box on Hyperion [Arabesque] - have enjoyed the mazurkas, etudes, very lyrical/subdued ballades (compared to, say, Rubinstein), and a handful of nocturnes, but I thought his waltzes were not all that bright or scintillating compared to Alexandre Tharaud or some of the classic performers.

EDIT: Who comes closest to being persuasive in every mazurka? They may yet become my favorite genre of Chopin works.

Bulldog

What do you think of Ohlsson's inclusion of the Largo version of Prelude no. 14?

karlhenning

Ptui, mistake. Meant the Etudes . . . I don't have Ohlsson in the Préludes, Don.

Bulldog

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2010, 08:36:40 AM
Ptui, mistake. Meant the Etudes . . . I don't have Ohlsson in the Préludes, Don.

Okay.  I thought that Largo was the best feature of Ohlsson in the Preludes.  Leaving aside the Largo, his performance is very good but a long way from outstanding.