Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2010, 05:49:23 AM
EDIT: Who comes closest to being persuasive in every mazurka? They may yet become my favorite genre of Chopin works.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubinstein-Collection-Vol-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B000054278

Brian

Drasko, would you recommend that set over the later, stereo remakes? I only ask because I already own the stereo set and just have not listened to it yet.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2010, 08:36:40 AM
Ptui, mistake. Meant the Etudes . . . I don't have Ohlsson in the Préludes, Don.

I was listening to those Ohlsson Etudes last night, too! Loved the lighter touch he had in so many of them - they weren't heavy-handed exercises; there was poetry to be heard. Jolly good stuff. :)

George

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2010, 05:49:23 AM
EDIT: Who comes closest to being persuasive in every mazurka? They may yet become my favorite genre of Chopin works.

I really like Luisadas set on DG. Wasowski and the second Rubinstein are great too. Unfortunately, all three sets are hard to find.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2010, 09:31:05 AM
Drasko, would you recommend that set over the later, stereo remakes? I only ask because I already own the stereo set and just have not listened to it yet.

I was listening to those Ohlsson Etudes last night, too! Loved the lighter touch he had in so many of them - they weren't heavy-handed exercises; there was poetry to be heard. Jolly good stuff. :)

Well, I am starting to feel smug about picking up the Ohlsson Chopin cycle during the wild sale at the french web site.   :D  I have to find time to listen to it, though.

Verena

QuoteI really like Luisadas set on DG. Wasowski and the second Rubinstein are great too. Unfortunately, all three sets are hard to find.

George, did Luisada record all Mazurkas? The Luisada set - or part of it - is available as mp3s in the DG webshop:
http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/result?sort=newest_rec&PRODUCT_NR=4630542&SearchString=&SEARCH_OPTIONS=&javascript=1&IN_XXSERIES=&IN_XXPQ=&per_page=50&COMP_ID=&ALBUM_TYPE=&IN_SERIES=&ART_ID=LUIJE&IN_XXAWARDS=&start=0&MOZART_22=0&GENRE=&presentation=list&ADD_DECCA=0

Apparently, the Luisaa is to be re-released as a Super Audio CD - DSD soon:
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Mazurkas-Jean-Marc-Luisada/dp/B003D1218M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271274920&sr=1-7
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

The Mazurkas Richter plays for BBC Legends are outstanding -- the same Cd as the one with the Debussy Preludes.

Also the Mazurkas Moravec plays on that CD with the Chopin Scherzos -- very good.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on April 14, 2010, 11:02:09 AM
Well, I am starting to feel smug about picking up the Ohlsson Chopin cycle during the wild sale at the french web site.   :D  I have to find time to listen to it, though.

Yeah, I got it there too. $30 for the complete Chopin? Sign me up!

George

Quote from: Scarpia on April 14, 2010, 11:02:09 AM

Did he rerecord the whole output of Chopin for that set? I know he already had recorded a lot for EMI then for Arabesque.   

Drasko

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2010, 09:31:05 AM

I prefer the earlier (middle one) but if you already have later one just go on and listen to it.

Scarpia

Quote from: George on April 14, 2010, 02:00:08 PM
Did he rerecord the whole output of Chopin for that set? I know he already had recorded a lot for EMI then for Arabesque.

The recordings in the Hyperion set are from Arabesque.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on April 14, 2010, 02:10:22 PM
The recordings in the Hyperion set are from Arabesque.

OK, thanks.

George

Quote from: Drasko on April 13, 2010, 04:54:20 AM
    Released on Connoisseur Society LP in 1974. Never on CD. Does anyone know if LP rips could be found?

If you ever track these down, please let me know? Those are GREAT performances.  :o

Drasko

Quote from: George on April 15, 2010, 03:04:51 PM
If you ever track these down, please let me know? Those are GREAT performances.  :o

Sure.

Mandryka

Argerich Plays Chopin (DG) -- previously unreleased radio recordings from 1959 and 1967

A very entertaining CD, well worth hearing, especially for the mazurkas and the third sonata.

In the mazurkas she is impetuous but controlled. She's not nervous; but she isn't tranquil either.

And in the sonata she balances the voices so beautifully. In the first movement you are really made to hear Chopin's counterpoint (which is far from trivial.) At times in the slow movement her voice is confidential.

I find her style in these pieces completely convincing and original. It's music making which continues to haunt me long after I have heard it.

abidoful

My fav. Chopin recordings

CONCERTOS- Perahia of both of them+Argerich& Abbado of the 1st
POLONAISE BRILLANTE OP.22 - Rubinstein (the one with orchestra)
(of the other orchestral don't know any completely satisfactory)

TRIO- definately the suberb Trio Oistrakh recording from late 40s
CELLO SONATA- Rostropovich& Argerich
POLONAISE OP.3- Rostropovich& Argerich

SONATAS
1st- Katsaris
2nd- Pogorelich, Rachmaninov
3rd- Lipatti, Janne Mertanen (Finnish pianist)
VARIATIONS- I guess Ashkenazy,  the SCHWEIZERBUB is nice(though generally NOT my fav. pianist) but of op.12 don't know any...
ALLEGRO DE CONCERT-
RONDI-don't know any... apart from the Horowitz performance of the OP.16. Any suggestions, anyone?
INTRODUCTION & BOLERO IN A-MINOR (yeah, THAT'S the right tonality!!)- Rubinstein
FANTAISIE- Michelangeli
POLONAISE-FANTAISIE- don't know a completely satisfactory one: (
BALLADES
1st- Michelangeli
2nd- Pogorelich
3rd- Rachmaninov (kind of eccentric but ingenious)
4th- Rubinstein
SCHERZI- I guess Pollini of all of them but individual;
2nd- Michelangeli
4th- Horowitz
POLONAISES- Rubinstein of them all (the ones with opus number), individual;
op.44- Pogorelich, Horowitz
BARCAROLLE- Cortot, Rubinstein, Pollini
GRANDE VALSE BRILLANTE OP.18- Rachmaninov; very funny: D
VALSE BRILLANTE OP.34/1- Michelangeli
WALTZ op.42- Rachmaninov
NOCTURNES- Rubinstein of them all, individual
e-minor from late 1820s- Horowitz
IMPROMPTUS- Rubinstein and perhaps Perahia of them all, individual;
1st- Cortot
3rd- definately Rubinstein
TARANTELLA- don't know any
MAZURKAS- Rubinstein of them all,  the 30s (definately that one!)
WALTZES- Lipatti
BERCEUSE- Cortot, Rubinstein
ETUDES
opp.10&25 definately Cortot; a classic
the set of three- Rubinstein
PRELUDES- I guess Argerich ( I believe i would like them, though haven't heard them), Cortot, of the individual;
g-minor, Bflat major,d-minor- Pogorelich (like them very much)

SONGS- of them all, in my opinion the best is Urszula Kryger & Charles Spencer, individual songs;
Wojak, Precz moich oczu, Hulanka- Hiolski
Melodia, Nie ma czeko trzeba- Robert Tear
Moja Pieszczotka, Wiosna, Smutna Rzeka- Kryger

Herman

That's quite a list!

Quote from: abidoful on April 19, 2010, 01:28:13 AM

PRELUDES- I guess Argerich ( I believe i would like them, though haven't heard them),

In that case they can't possibly disappoint you. Just kidding.

A couple pianists you could give a try are: Moravec, pre-1960 Arrau (Etudes, Preludes, Ballades), Bolet (Preludes and 3d sonata), and Sv Richter, for that Polonaise Fantaisie you're looking for.

Post nr 1000

Mandryka

2nd- Pogorelich, Rachmaninov
3rd- Lipatti, Janne Mertanen (Finnish pianist)
Agreed about Rachmaninov for the second. I would add Michelangeli.
For the third. I would add Pletnev.

BALLADES
1st- Michelangeli
2nd- Pogorelich
3rd- Rachmaninov (kind of eccentric but ingenious)
4th- Rubinstein
1st Cortot
3rd -- Richter
4th Moiseiewitsch, Arrau live (Ermitage)

SCHERZI- I guess Pollini of all of them but individual;
2nd- Michelangeli
4th- Horowitz
1st -- Sofronitsky
3rd -- Moravec
POLONAISES- Rubinstein of them all (the ones with opus number), individual;
op.44- Pogorelich, Horowitz
I have mixed feelings about the 1968 Op 44 -- it is a bit brash!
Richter is very good in the Pollonaises and the Pollonaise-Fantasie too, as Hermann says.
BARCAROLLE- Cortot, Rubinstein, Pollini
Moiseiewitsch 1939. Richter live from Sazburg. Sofroniotsky (1949)
MAZURKAS- Rubinstein of them all,  the 30s (definately that one!)
Maybe the 30s one -- it is one of my favourites. Michelangeli and Richter and (some) Moravec for me too.
WALTZES- Lipatti

Cortot, Kocsis. And all the ones done by Sofronitsky and Richter.
NOCTURNES- Rubinstein of them all, individual
e-minor from late 1820s- Horowitz

Weissenberg, Cortot (esp 55/1), Sofronitsky (1949 -- esp 48/1 and 27/2). Arrau (Ermitage) for Op 62/1.
BERCEUSE- Cortot, Rubinstein
Solomon, Hofmann
ETUDES
opp.10&25 definately Cortot; a classic
the set of three- Rubinstein

Richter, Cziffra, Horowitz

PRELUDES- I guess Argerich ( I believe i would like them, though haven't heard them), Cortot, of the individual;
g-minor, Bflat major,d-minor- Pogorelich (like them very much)
I like 1955 live Cortot. And Sofronitsky 1949 is sombre and tragic.
Do you even like Progorelich in the slow preludes?

MichaelRabin

Are Moravec's Chopin Nocturnes so superior that literally all the people on Amazon (40 pax) put 5 stars on the Amazon site? How does Arrau & Rubinstein fare vis-a-vis Moravec please? Thanks.