Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on September 07, 2010, 11:50:02 AM
Thanks! Have you heard the whole CD? If so, do you like it?

Yes I like it. She's got a real distinctive style,  and it either clicks or it doesn't. She's fresh and alive and in the moment and spontaneous.

The rhythms are good, and the phrasing is alive. She's at her best in pieces where rhythm is of the essence I guess. Dances, and the Berceuse. She's not very dramatic; there's no  great drama through intimate quiet passages or crashing lound bits. So she's not in your face.

For a long time her Chopin -- here and elsewhere -- just meant nothing to me. And then all of a sudden I kind of got why what she's doing is so magical.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

You've got her complete Etudes?
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on September 08, 2010, 12:53:07 AM

Yes and I think that they are very well done. I'd forgotten about them, actually.

It's the sonata that I'm less sure about -- I should listen again.

Verena

Quote from: Holden on September 08, 2010, 12:53:07 AM

Quote from: Mandryka on September 08, 2010, 06:56:06 AM
Yes and I think that they are very well done. I'd forgotten about them, actually.

There are actually two recordings of the Etudes by her. A Melodyia version and a Live Classics version. I have the former, I like it, though the  Etudes are not my favorite Chopin.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on September 08, 2010, 07:03:13 AM
There are actually two recordings of the Etudes by her. A Melodyia version and a Live Classics version. I have the former, I like it, though the  Etudes are not my favorite Chopin.

I have Live Classics

I  wonder what the differences are.

ccar

Quote from: Verena on September 08, 2010, 07:03:13 AM

I'm also  very curious to Know something more about that other Melodyia version. The Live Classics was also recorded in Moscow (1985). Can you please give some more details on the recording.   

Holden

I'm at work so can't access the Etudes so I'm not sure which version I've got? I suspect it's the Live Classics.
Cheers

Holden

Verena

Quote from: Holden on September 08, 2010, 12:21:13 PM
I'm at work so can't access the Etudes so I'm not sure which version I've got? I suspect it's the Live Classics.

Yes, the other has not been released on CD to my knowledge. It's only on LP
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

Michelangeli plays the Mazurka Op 68/4 differently from most people, in that he includes a few bars which you don't often hear. The bit I mean is about 2 minutes into this extract (not the best performance -- for that you need to go to the Brown Aura box)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xbQ5ly-BPOU

Who else plays this extra bit -- which I think really enhances the music. I've checked Ciani, Fliere, Koroliov,
Barbosa, François, Wasowsky and Malcusynsky. The all leave it out. I wonder why more pianists don't play it?

By the way it turns out that the manuscript is problematic -- difficult to decipher.

abidoful

Quote from: Mandryka on September 26, 2010, 10:28:46 AM
Michelangeli plays the Mazurka Op 68/4 differently from most people, in that he includes a few bars which you don't often hear. The bit I mean is about 2 minutes into this extract (not the best performance -- for that you need to go to the Brown Aura box)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xbQ5ly-BPOU

Who else plays this extra bit -- which I think really enhances the music. I've checked Ciani, Fliere, Koroliov,
Barbosa, François, Wasowsky and Malcusynsky. The all leave it out. I wonder why more pianists don't play it?

By the way it turns out that the manuscript is problematic -- difficult to decipher.
Yeah, it's a nice passage---I think some may not even know of it becouse major edeitions like Henle Urtext and Paderewski omit it and follw an old reconstruction either by Julian Fontana or August Franchomme. But did you konow that Rubinstein did play it!

ccar

Quote from: Mandryka on September 26, 2010, 10:28:46 AM
Michelangeli plays the Mazurka Op 68/4 differently from most people, in that he includes a few bars which you don't often hear.

Quote from: abidoful on September 26, 2010, 11:34:04 AM
Yeah, it's a nice passage---I think some may not even know of it becouse major edeitions like Henle Urtext and Paderewski omit it and follw an old reconstruction either by Julian Fontana or August Franchomme. But did you konow that Rubinstein did play it!

There is a detailed analysis of this last Mazurka in F minor by Jeffrey Kalberg (Chopin at the Boundaries; Harvard University Press 1996). The sketch was first transcribed by Franchomme (1852) and Julian Fontana (1855) and this version was latter reproduced in many "modern" editions. But they omitted a section in F major which was indeed very difficult to decipher. In the 1950s Arthur Hedley attempted to reconstruct the missing sections of the sketch and this led some interpreters to include them in their performances - like Michelangeli or Rubinstein. But since then other different "complete" versions have also been published - Vallier, Ekier, Nowik, Smith. 

Mandryka

A couple of recital recordings I have been enjoying recently.

The Pogorelich I've known for a while but I've only just started to enjoy it, the mazurkas especially -- but also the ballade. Of course it's challenging.

The Margulis is new to me. Very transparent textures and again a very challenging and personal interpretation -- his way of managing the voices in the Etudes make them sound very fresh. And the sonata makes me think of ABM, at least in terms of tone and clarity  -- maybe not as emotional as Michelangeli.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on September 29, 2010, 06:39:27 AM
-- maybe not as emotional as Michelangeli.

There's a phrase you don't read everyday.  :D

BTW, did you  read my most recent post in the Michelangeli thread? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on September 29, 2010, 01:03:26 PM
There's a phrase you don't read everyday.  :D

Because people think of ABM as cold ?

I must say, when I wrote that I was thinking of the funeral march in the recording from Prato -- that's what I was thinking of when I was listening to the Margulis recording. ABM's treatment of the second subject there seems rather sentimental (I mean that positively), though not hystrioniacally overemotional like the Brand live version.

Same for his treatment of the Op 45 prelude.

I suspect that ABM's coldness is exaggerated -- an urban myth.

George

Quote from: Mandryka on September 30, 2010, 06:58:07 AM
Because people think of ABM as cold ?

I'd never call him cold, though I also wouldn't say he's particularly emotional. That's why I wrote what I did about him. 

Oldnslow

I have recently been listening to one of the best new recordings of Chopin I have heard in years---41 Mazurkas by Jean-Marc Luisada on RCA. The Mazurkas are my favorite Chopin and the playing and recording on this two CD set is simply wonderful. Anyone else heard this yet?

rubio

Quote from: Oldnslow on October 17, 2010, 06:06:07 PM
I have recently been listening to one of the best new recordings of Chopin I have heard in years---41 Mazurkas by Jean-Marc Luisada on RCA. The Mazurkas are my favorite Chopin and the playing and recording on this two CD set is simply wonderful. Anyone else heard this yet?

Yeah, the Luisada set could be my favourite set of mazurkas. And these pices are close to being my favourite Chopin. Some of them even sound a bit Norwegian. :)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Mandryka

Quote from: Oldnslow on October 17, 2010, 06:06:07 PM

Welcome to the forum Oldnslow .

Yes -- I was hoping to meet someone who had heard that Luisada set. I know the one on DG and it's pretty good, but maybe a bit too weighty sometimes for my tastes.

Have you, or Rubio,  heard the old DG one?  Is the Sony one an improvement?

George

Quote from: rubio on October 18, 2010, 09:34:10 AM
Yeah, the Luisada set could be my favourite set of mazurkas. And these pices are close to being my favourite Chopin. Some of them even sound a bit Norwegian. :)

You like them more than the DG set?

Maciek