Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 29, 2010, 09:10:15 AM
This is IMO the greatest thing he ever did. Not Chopin -- Scriabin. But can't resist posting it here. The gentleness and humanity of it is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/v/KIv2KmBOeTQ

Is that performance available on CD? I have the one that is in his GPOTTC set. It's slower, 6:25.

Mandryka

AFAIK there are three recordings -- the one on youtube is from his DVD. And there's the one on hs Great Pianists. And there's one on the CD calles Les Bis d'Alexis Weissenberg

Horowitz and Sokolov recorded it. But AFAIK Richter and Sofronitsky and Feinberg and Zhukov and Pletnev  didn't record it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Bogey

Quote from: Mandryka on November 29, 2010, 09:10:15 AM
Interesting that he retains his popularity -- I'm a fan myself, even in Chopin. He's an extreme point of view  though -- just like Moravec is an extreme.

Surely there are some conservatives and romantics here -- we can't have a Weissenberg love in. A fight would be more interesting.

This is IMO the greatest thing he ever did. Not Chopin -- Scriabin. But can't resist posting it here. The gentleness and humanity of it is awesome

Just snagged a and a nice Japanese pressing of:

Chopin
Alexis Weissenberg
PC's 1 and 2
EMI/Angel

This is on vinyl.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Where does this one fall as far as performance is concerned?

George

Quote from: Bogey on January 14, 2011, 10:12:43 PM
Where does this one fall as far as performance is concerned?

Even those who are critical of his later Chopin recordings (myself included) are fond of these recordings.

On the other hand, for sound and performance, this one is the absolute best that I have heard (you get both concertos, too):

[asin]B00002DE0S[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on January 15, 2011, 03:52:27 AM
Even those who are critical of his later Chopin recordings (myself included) are fond of these recordings.

On the other hand, for sound and performance, this one is the absolute best that I have heard (you get both concertos, too):

Hey George - I've owned the much earlier Zimerman recordings of these works and really have enjoyed over the years; I was thinking of purchasing the 'newer' release but have not - have you heard both, and if so any thoughts?  Thanks - Dave  :)

Bogey

[asin]B00002DE0S[/asin]

Yes.  I have a recording of the Pollini '60 No. 1 on disc, and do enjoy it.  I was just wondering where it fell in the scope of other recordings my friend and you answered my question.  Thanks! :)

George

Quote from: SonicMan on January 15, 2011, 05:22:28 AM
Hey George - I've owned the much earlier Zimerman recordings of these works and really have enjoyed over the years; I was thinking of purchasing the 'newer' release but have not - have you heard both, and if so any thoughts?  Thanks - Dave  :)

I have not heard both, I bought the later one and love it so much that I have no desire to get any more recordings of these works. That's how much I love it.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on January 15, 2011, 05:29:24 AM
I have not heard both, I bought the later one and love it so much that I have no desire to get any more recordings of these works. That's how much I love it.  :)

Well, I guess my feeling w/ that earlier recording which I've had for many years - the only 'new' addition of these works after reading some superlative reviews to my collection is the one below; so, I'll probably just stay happy w/ those -  :D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on January 15, 2011, 05:39:45 AM
Well, I guess my feeling w/ that earlier recording which I've had for many years - the only 'new' addition of these works after reading some superlative reviews to my collection is the one below; so, I'll probably just stay happy w/ those -  :D

... but you don't have an interpretation on period instruments, dear Dave. Too bad!   :P ;D

8)

Antoine Marchand

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 15, 2011, 05:51:49 AM
... but you don't have an interpretation on period instruments, dear Dave. Too bad!   :P ;D

Well, I was waiting for a good price on the 21-CD box (above, right) - assume that it includes those PI concertos?  Currently at $82 on the Amazon MP - should I 'pull the trigger' or wait a little longer?  Dave  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on January 15, 2011, 06:20:54 AM
Well, I was waiting for a good price on the 21-CD box (above, right) - assume that it includes those PI concertos?  Currently at $82 on the Amazon MP - should I 'pull the trigger' or wait a little longer?  Dave  ;D

I am thinking tax refund fun, Dave....but there is my birthday in March. ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on January 15, 2011, 06:30:35 AM
I am thinking tax refund fun, Dave....but there is my birthday in March. ;D

Good morning Bill - well, $4 a disc is pretty cheap (i.e. if you want that much Chopin - already have about 16 discs or so, but only one on a period fortepiano) - tempting (and my birthday is the following month!) - Dave  :)

Antoine Marchand

Lately Evgeny Kissin has become one of my favorite interpreters of these piano concertos. His performances in the famous 1984 Moscow concert are really terrific. I don't have the original CD, but it's currently available on Brilliant Classics at least under three different aspects:

It's almost incredible to listen to that 13-years-old boy to play this way, with such fire, not inferior to nobody. The only prevention: It's a Russian live recording, therefore some coughes are inevitable. Kitaenko provides a reasonable accompaniment.  :)   

Brian

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 15, 2011, 08:19:52 AM

The cover of this one reminds me of the black album in This Is Spinal Tap. :)

abidoful

abidoful

for sound and performance, this one is the absolute best that I have heard (you get both concertos, too):

[asin]B00002DE0S[/asin]
IMO these performance- no matter how polished- are seriously flawed as far as intrepetation is concerned.

Holden

My favourite recording

[asin]B00000G403[/asin]
Cheers

Holden