Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

From Dang Thai-Son's recent nocturne album in the Real Chopin series:

http://www.youtube.com/v/4YkXC0VhKII

Played on an original Erard fortepiano. 

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Two more nocturnes from Alain Planès' recording called "Chez Pleyel"

Played on an original Pleyel fortepiano, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/v/_zj1czmbrCw
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Maciek

I'm not George, but:

Quote from: SonicMan on January 15, 2011, 05:22:28 AM
Hey George - I've owned the much earlier Zimerman recordings of these works and really have enjoyed over the years; I was thinking of purchasing the 'newer' release but have not - have you heard both, and if so any thoughts?  Thanks - Dave  :)

Dave, in his early days Zimerman actually recorded the 1st concerto twice: once with Giulini and once with Kondrashin. Anyway, I can hardly think of two recordings made by one pianist which would differ from one another more than Zimerman's "early" and "more recent" Chopin PCs. It might be worth getting the more recent recording just for the sake of hearing how completely an artist can change his approach. The difference has a lot to do with what is happening in the orchestra - the newer recording has Zimerman conducting, and the orchestra is one he personally assembled specifically for that recording - it has a very rich tone, and the music is played in an extremely "serious", almost Germanic manner (well, to my ears). In the newer recording these PCs sound at times as if they were composed by Rachmaninov (to my ears, again). The pianism is astonishing, as always with Zimerman, and there's absolutely no doubt that he is playing exactly the way he wants to be playing. Whether one likes this interpretation is a completely different matter (the newer recording is sometimes considered quite controversial).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Maciek on January 18, 2011, 02:24:00 PM

Dave, in his early days Zimerman actually recorded the 1st concerto twice: once with Giulini and once with Kondrashin. Anyway, I can hardly think of two recordings made by one pianist which would differ from one another more than Zimerman's "early" and "more recent" Chopin PCs. ................................

Hi Maciek - thanks for the excellent comments in your post on the Zimerman performances; sounds like a 'night & day' difference? - though, I was surprised to see these works put on 2 CDs in the newer recording - will probably need to hear these discs!  Dave  :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on January 18, 2011, 03:27:41 PM
Hi Maciek - thanks for the excellent comments in your post on the Zimerman performances; sounds like a 'night & day' difference? - though, I was surprised to see these works put on 2 CDs in the newer recording - will probably need to hear these discs!  Dave  :D

FWIW, I got my copy for the price of one mid-priced CD over at amazon. Total time is 81:52, just a bit too long to fit on one CD.

Maciek

Quote from: SonicMan on January 18, 2011, 03:27:41 PM
I was surprised to see these works put on 2 CDs in the newer recording

Yes, that should give you some idea of how different these recordings are - unlike the older Giulini set, they wouldn't fit on one disc! :o

Drasko

Quote from: Maciek on January 18, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
- unlike the older Giulini set, they wouldn't fit on one disc! :o

Unlike anyone to my knowledge. Something like two beached whales, each needing a beach for itself.

But for those curious enough there is recent release looking even more bizarre, Cyprien Katsaris playing with himself amongst other things:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Piano%2B21/P21038

Que

Quote from: masolino on January 17, 2011, 10:59:35 PM
From Dang Thai-Son's recent nocturne album in the Real Chopin series:

Played on an original Erard fortepiano. 

Surprisingly, this pussyfooting, snoozing approach does not sound like "real" Chopin to me at all...  8) Dang Thai-Son does not show much interest in using the particular possibilities of the period instrument... ::) What a waste.

The Planes' sample however, I liked much better - it actually sounds like someone he knows what to do with a period instrument! :) I need to hear more.

Spurred by these posts I had put on this recording last night - recently reissued BTW.

And enjoyed it rather well - Boegner has interesting things to tell about the music, though I can still imagine a (even) more commanding and daring approach. After all, there is stiff competition in this field. Michèle Boegner studied with Perlemuter BTW.

I also finally got George's earlier comments on extraneous noises - though very subtle, at high volume there are definitely some strange side noises discernible like one of the upper keys that produces a thin high pitched after-noise. I blame it on a not quite adequately prepared instrument, or one that was too closely recorded?

But never mind, this is all hardly noticeable, if for some at all, and the Pleyel sounds wonderfull - direct and "woody". I find this set very enjoyable with a genuine HIP approach that shows the dividends that can gained from a period instrument. Maybe not in the definitive category, but a set that has individual character and comes a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/v/hGmAeSuLPb0

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on January 19, 2011, 12:46:08 PM
The Planes' sample however, I liked much better - it actually sounds like someone he knows what to do with a period instrument! :) I need to hear more.

Thanks for the comments on Boegner, Q.

I agree with you about Planes; that sample sounds enticing, but IMO the whole disc is a bit disappointing. It happens as usually with Planes; he is always so cerebral and self controlled that it's irritating... You always think: He will catch fire in the next movement or piece, but that never happens. Probably the only exception that I know is his recording of the Schubert piano sonatas, where his self-control gives some excellent results.

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on January 19, 2011, 12:46:08 PM
Surprisingly, this pussyfooting, snoozing approach does not sound like "real" Chopin to me at all...  8)

Hmm, I myself prefer Dang's approach to nocturnes to Boegner's, having acquainted myself with both.  My partner, who has known and played this music for many years, agrees with me.  ;)  In our views, Planes and Boegner both seem to be rather too extrovert with this 'interior' music.  I notice that the topic of the exact nature of Chopin's 'rubato' is still hotly disputed, and that (the use of rubato) is the most obvious difference between Planes and Dang that I hear.   Between Boegner and Dang, I think it's more a matter of different tempo choices, but that alone can make a huge impact at first listen as we all know.  :P

Quote from: masolino on June 10, 2009, 07:47:17 PM
Me, too.  And the piano surely has nice looks!  :) 

Funny how much impressions can change in the space of a year or two.  I think I may now listen to the Dang's snooze more (than to Boegner's jog)  :-*

Call me a fan of ravishingly beautiful Chopin!  Here's another excerpt from Dang's nocturnes recording to share. 
http://www.youtube.com/v/OXTxjqa2sgQ

FideLeo

Another extract from the recordings in the Real Chopin series:

Wojciech Switala plays Andante spianato et grande polonaise in E-flat major, Op. 22

http://www.youtube.com/v/C-J23ULgcqY

http://www.youtube.com/v/P8FqTNWoWnc

Oldnslow

Thanks for posting the clips from the Real Chopin series. I just love listening to Chopin on pianos from his era. In fact, I just sprung for the whole set, available for the ridiculously low price of $82 from Amazon third party seller Allegro, out of Oregon. Only CD I own  from The Real Chopin are the Goerner Ballades/Nocturnes , which is beautiful. It is amazing to hear the huge difference in piano development between the time of Beethoven and Chopin. I very much enjoy Brautigam's traversal of the Beethoven sonatas on fortepiano, and I am sure The Real Chopin will be equally rewarding . 

FideLeo

Quote from: Oldnslow on January 20, 2011, 10:27:12 AM
Thanks for posting the clips from the Real Chopin series. I just love listening to Chopin on pianos from his era. In fact, I just sprung for the whole set, available for the ridiculously low price of $82 from Amazon third party seller Allegro, out of Oregon. Only CD I own  from The Real Chopin are the Goerner Ballades/Nocturnes , which is beautiful. It is amazing to hear the huge difference in piano development between the time of Beethoven and Chopin. I very much enjoy Brautigam's traversal of the Beethoven sonatas on fortepiano, and I am sure The Real Chopin will be equally rewarding .

Thanks for posting your response.  $82 for the entire set is a very good price indeed, and I am sure Allegro will be able to deliver the goods.  I own almost two thirds of the series now individually :( so buying the whole set is not an option for me.

I agree that the Pleyel and Erard instruments both sound beautifully as they were said to have been found in almost intact conditions and have required only minimal restoration.  However be advised that the series certainly will continue beyond the set's contents, as I have already seen the next one (NIFCCD021 Howard Shelley plays all three sonatas) coming up at the Chopin Society website.  They sure know how to exploit their customer base!!  :o

Oldnslow

Arn't the sonatas covered by someone already in the Real Chopin box set?

Bogey

I am "gonna" throw out a cd most of you already know....

I have had this cd at work for a few days and have played it twice through in the morning and the first third or so again during my lunch.  The opening track, Scherzo No.3, Op.39, has me absolutely mesmerized.  Anyone else on this boat ride with me?  I am sure there are other recs for this piece, but if I was only stuck with this, I would be very satisfied.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Most men would be happy to be stuck with Argerich, especially ca. 1961.  0:)

But seriously, glad you are getting good use out of that CD.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on January 20, 2011, 06:24:27 PM
The opening track, Scherzo No.3, Op.39, has me absolutely mesmerized.  Anyone else on this boat ride with me?

I'm on board, Bill! I have that third Scherzo on another Argerich release and it's one of my favorite Chopin recordings. Absolutely on fire!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

FideLeo

Quote from: Oldnslow on January 20, 2011, 03:57:07 PM
Arn't the sonatas covered by someone already in the Real Chopin box set?

Let's say there will be another Real Chopin box in a few years' time.  They know very well there can never be too many Chopin recordings!  ;)

Holden

Quote from: Bogey on January 20, 2011, 06:24:27 PM
I am "gonna" throw out a cd most of you already know....

I have had this cd at work for a few days and have played it twice through in the morning and the first third or so again during my lunch.  The opening track, Scherzo No.3, Op.39, has me absolutely mesmerized.  Anyone else on this boat ride with me?  I am sure there are other recs for this piece, but if I was only stuck with this, I would be very satisfied.

Watch this - from her Chopin Competition recital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9MvizSf78&playnext=1&list=PL33FED512C8EEA1D5&index=17

I don't know how to post the actual Youtube video
Cheers

Holden

Que

Quote from: masolino on January 20, 2011, 02:50:08 AM
Hmm, I myself prefer Dang's approach to nocturnes to Boegner's, having acquainted myself with both.  My partner, who has known and played this music for many years, agrees with me.  ;)  In our views, Planes and Boegner both seem to be rather too extrovert with this 'interior' music.  I notice that the topic of the exact nature of Chopin's 'rubato' is still hotly disputed, and that (the use of rubato) is the most obvious difference between Planes and Dang that I hear.   Between Boegner and Dang, I think it's more a matter of different tempo choices, but that alone can make a huge impact at first listen as we all know.  :P

Funny how much impressions can change in the space of a year or two.  I think I may now listen to the Dang's snooze more (than to Boegner's jog)  :-*

Call me a fan of ravishingly beautiful Chopin!  Here's another excerpt from Dang's nocturnes recording to share. 

It's reassuring that we hear the same, just that we appreciate differently what we hear! :)

I indeed think I have another perception of these pieces and think that "nocturnal" in Romanticism did not just mean a slow, soft and dreamy atmosphere, but also more stronger or darker emotions like desire, passion, anxiety and restlessness, and yes, also dreaminess and reticence. I agree that rubato is a factor here - I think it is indispensable. As is more accentuated phrasing, and a more tempo. You think Boegner is a jog? :) My preferred version till now is Rubinstein's 1936 recording! ;D

Q