Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: orbital on July 15, 2007, 05:19:27 PM
between the 1932 and 1959, I'd say definitely 1939.
But I prefer Pogo as well.

Did you mean 1959?

orbital

sidoze

Quote from: BorisG on July 15, 2007, 04:31:29 PM
I would reach for Pogo before Rube, but reach for Demidenko before either.

I love Demidenko but his recording is just too eccentric for a first disc IMO. Of course so is Pogorelich, but I don't think he has such a penchant for inverting dynamics as Demidenko has.

BorisG

Both are wonderfully individualistic and closer than not to each other. While enjoying and respecting their artistry, I perceive Demidenko to be a little more in control of the notes and making better use of dynamics. Obviously the engineers have something to do with the latter. Pogo, again my perception, occasionally slurs notes and no doubt purposely gets lost, especially in lower end. Creativity remains immense and doesn't break it. It is a close call. These two are way up there, and that is good.

sidoze

We'll have to part ways on this. Demidenko is one of my favourite pianists and he's a very caring and thoughtful man, but I just don't find his Chopin convincing, nor natural-sounding for that matter. It's always interesting, but that's a different matter (Mustonen is always interesting too...). Do you like any of his other Chopin recordings? He's just released a Chopin disc on AGPL which I haven't heard yet and probably won't in fact as it's made up of some early works (Rondos) and a few others I'm not desperate to hear right now.

Actually here's the tracklisting.

Rondo in C minor Op 1
Rondo in E flat major Op 16
Rondo in C major Op 73
Barcarolle in F sharp Op 60
Polonaise No 1 in D minor Op 71
Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise Brillante in E flat major Op 22

AGPL / 1-010

BorisG

Quote from: sidoze on July 16, 2007, 01:46:11 PM
We'll have to part ways on this. Demidenko is one of my favourite pianists and he's a very caring and thoughtful man, but I just don't find his Chopin convincing, nor natural-sounding for that matter. It's always interesting, but that's a different matter (Mustonen is always interesting too...). Do you like any of his other Chopin recordings? He's just released a Chopin disc on AGPL which I haven't heard yet and probably won't in fact as it's made up of some early works (Rondos) and a few others I'm not desperate to hear right now.

Actually here's the tracklisting.

Rondo in C minor Op 1
Rondo in E flat major Op 16
Rondo in C major Op 73
Barcarolle in F sharp Op 60
Polonaise No 1 in D minor Op 71
Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise Brillante in E flat major Op 22

AGPL / 1-010

I like his three Hyperion solo Chopin. I have not heard anything on AGPL.

Parting ways is quite alright, my friend. I enjoyed the time we had together.

Bonehelm

If anyone has heard Yundi Li's Chopin, please make some comments here :)

orbital

I have his Chopin Recital CD, the two pieces that I like him in are the Andante Spianato and the Fantasy Impromptu. Andante is mellow ans sweet. His piano tone is generally quite soft, easy on the ears so it works particularly well with this piece. The third sonata and the nocturnes are dismissable IMO. Too mechanical for my taste.

He also does three etudes here. The op10 aminor one is played unusually slow for some reason which more or less kills it for me. The other two (butterfly and winter wind) are played quite well. But the thing is there is not much to remember them by except the note by note interpretation.

Overall the CD is not bad, if you are desperately in need of a decent Andante Spianato interpretation at least  :)

Que

Quote from: orbital on September 04, 2007, 10:40:45 AM
Rubinstein's Chopin EMI set is now on deep discount at Amazon at $29.00

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Rubinstein-plays-Chopin-Box/dp/B000002S59/ref=sr_1_13/102-0015196-3925745?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188930993&sr=1-13

But the thing is that the transfers of the same recordings on RCA's Rubinstein Edition are far better!
And many of these are also available on Naxos - also in better transfers than on EMI.

Q

orbital

Quote from: Que on September 04, 2007, 10:46:39 AM
But the thing is that the transfers of the same recordings on RCA's Rubinstein Edition are far better!
And many of these are also available on Naxos - also in better transfers than on EMI.

Q
Never heard the EMI myself, everythhing Rubinstein I have is on RCA. But I thought the price point could be a good incentive particularly since these are the 30s recordings. But if similar prices are available with better transfers then no need to bother of course.

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on September 04, 2007, 11:46:22 AM
But if similar prices are available with better transfers then no need to bother of course.

Maybe, maybe not. Concertos with Barbirolli are difficult to find these days (RCA Rubinstein Collection vol.5)

George

sidoze

the Naxos transfers should be avoided as well. sources weren't good enough

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 05, 2007, 12:28:13 AM
the Naxos transfers should be avoided as well. sources weren't good enough

Thanks.

George

Quote from: orbital on September 04, 2007, 11:46:22 AM
Never heard the EMI myself, everythhing Rubinstein I have is on RCA. But I thought the price point could be a good incentive particularly since these are the 30s recordings. But if similar prices are available with better transfers then no need to bother of course.

Your PM inbox is full.  :-[

George

I think that a number of you will be interested in this:

http://www.vaimusic.com/CD/1002.htm

8)

Drasko

Quote from: George on January 27, 2008, 05:35:36 AM

8)

Yes, indeed I am interested. Tried placing an order for it few days ago and after entering the address their website came up with a message - No valid shipping methods are available for your order.

Call me martian from now on  :P

bassio

Quote from: George on January 27, 2008, 05:35:36 AM

8)

Indeed George.

I cannot speak highly of this disc (I have the old one). Hofmann changed how I look at these works.

Every note is crystal clear, and thus the runs are breathtaking. I guess his secret is the judicious use of the pedal. (Which nowadays is abused in Chopin). Listen to Hofmann or Rachmaninoff .. you will notice that they are masters of the pedal.

But I am skeptical of any better sound quality they can achieve on this new disc. Maybe they found better masters.