Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel's Superlative Sacristy

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, April 29, 2019, 06:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

The composer shouldn't have been a new discovery for me; I do have -- and have listened to and liked -- one of the CPO releases (with D.Mields!) of the festive cantatas. But the name didn't get stuck then... and on this occasion, I was more than wowed. A composer, for however little there exists of him on record so far, who decidedly deserves a thread.

Stölzel: Good Enough for Bach, Definitely Good Enough for Us

[insider content] #BestOf2019 material!

https://amzn.to/2GPlv36

From the Bach Cantata Website the beginning of his biography:

QuoteBorn: January 13, 1690 - Gründstadtel, near Schwarzenberg in Saxony, about 30 km. south-east of Zwickau - Germany
Died: November 17, 1749 - Gotha, Germany

The German composer, Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel, studied at Leipzig University from 1707 to 1710, where he joined the Collegium Musicum, which had been headed by Telemann before Stölzel's arrival at the University. For the next ten years travelled widely, studying, teaching and composing in Breslau, Halle, Venice (where he met Antonio Vivaldi), Rome, Florence, Prague, Bayreuth, and Gera, and refusing several offers of permanent employment. In 1719 he married and the following year was appointed Kapellmeister at Gotha (Saxe-Gotha), where he remained for the rest of his life. In 1739 he joined the Lorenz Christoph Mizler's Correspondirenden Societät der Musicalischen Wissenschaften, of which J.S. Bach was later a member.
(Read more: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Lib/Stolzel-Gottfried-Heinrich.htm)

71 dB

I have 2 CDs worth of German Chamber Cantatas by Stölzel from CPO label and it's wonderful stuff!
I need to revisit those CDs!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

rickardg

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 29, 2019, 06:34:07 AM
The composer shouldn't have been a new discovery for me; I do have -- and have listened to and liked -- one of the CPO releases (with D.Mields!) of the festive cantatas. But the name didn't get stuck then... and on this occasion, I was more than wowed. A composer, for however little there exists of him on record so far, who decidedly deserves a thread.

Stölzel: Good Enough for Bach, Definitely Good Enough for Us

[insider content] #BestOf2019 material!

https://amzn.to/2GPlv36

Aww, paywalled, how about at least a short version? I listened to the start of that release as soon as it showed up on streaming sites but wasn't up for a passion then but what I heard sounded good. At least Glossa keeps delivering on the production values, I love that cover art...

Quote from: 71 dB on April 29, 2019, 09:45:15 AM
I have 2 CDs worth of German Chamber Cantatas by Stölzel from CPO label and it's wonderful stuff!
I need to revisit those CDs!

I strongly agree, those 2 discs of chamber cantatas were my picks in (the wonderfully conceived) Recordings you ought to have, but probably do not thread already in 2013. I've heard a few of the other CPO releases but, while nice enough, they haven't kept my attention like the chamber cantatas.

I just realised in the making of this post that they seem to be OOP, but they should at least be available for streaming/download at your preferred provider.

[asin] B00006C74Q[/asin][asin] B000174LP2[/asin]

Jo498

cpo also has a recording of a Brockes-Passion by Stölzel that is quite impressive.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal