Vyacheslav Artyomov

Started by pjme, April 11, 2007, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

In the mid nineties, I bought several (very cheap) Melodya CD's with music by this composer "Way to Olympus" symphony, a very grand & massive Requiem, percussion pieces ( Totem) and Invocations for soprano & percussion, Gurian hymn for three violins & strings....

http://v-artyomov.chat.ru/art_eng.html#1

From this website :

Selfdescription

" I started to compose music seriously in 1958. Everything I
could hear around then suited me very little. Not only was
avantgarde music unknown, but so was also neoclassical music
like Hindemith, Bartok, or Milhaud. Stravinsky was inaccessible.
It was not until about 1960 that some of Prokofiev's unfamiliar
works appeared on G.Rozhdestvensky's TV programs. We discovered
his 2nd-4th Symphonies and the operas The Flaming Angel and The
Gambler, in excerpts at that time. I passed through Prokofiev,
later - Stravinsky, and others, but the one work that impressed
me most was the Symphonie Liturgique by Arthur Honegger - even
to this day I deeply appreciate this work. Next came Edgard
Varese and finally Luciano Berio - the Sinfonia.

Besides this, my main sources included Russian folklore
(around 1965 I made several expeditions across the North of
Russia in search of surviving folk songs), Eastern traditional
music, and Romanticism. At various times I listened to Chopin,
Schubert, Scriabin, Wagner, and Bruckner. This was the stuff
that nourished me. Here I am speaking of spiritual influences,
and not of directly musical ones, for I have never imitated any
style. I always tried to find my own way, and my symphony Way to
Olympus is but one major landmark in this quest."

I find his music quite intrigueing - he's a mystic & and a scientist. But I lost track of him. Does anybody know if he's still alive and composing?

Christo

Quote from: pjme on April 11, 2007, 01:09:24 PM
In the mid nineties, I bought several (very cheap) Melodya CD's with music by this composer "Way to Olympus" symphony, a very grand & massive Requiem, percussion pieces ( Totem) and Invocations for soprano & percussion, Gurian hymn for three violins & strings....
I find his music quite intrigueing - he's a mystic & and a scientist. But I lost track of him. Does anybody know if he's still alive and composing?

Well, I bought those CDs too - and I even met him in person, during a sort of 'Artyomov Festival' in the Bethlehemklooster in Amsterdam, somewhere around the year 2000. I recall his wife reading Russian poetry aloud, and he himself making statements all the time, in between the concerts, while there was also a video shown of one of his bigger compositions being performed somewhere in the open air during some major event in Russia (vague description because I can't recall it anymore).

I was impressed by the 'typical great Russian spiritual tradition' he so clearly represents, but not that much by the music. Like you, I didn't hear about him anymore, since then.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maciek

Well, I only know the name, never heard any of his music. Well, almost. There's this web page (referred to as the "composer's home page" on wikipedia): http://art-lyub-cd.chat.ru/ where you can download a little (I'm not sure if these are samples or entire pieces? some of them are really short).

arkiv

Clouds of orthodox spirituality navigate the choral atmosphere.

relm1

I am new to this composer but very much enjoying all I've heard.  Why so little love on this site?  Literally a post to his thread every 5 or so years?  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on April 24, 2019, 04:18:09 PM
I am new to this composer but very much enjoying all I've heard.  Why so little love on this site?  Literally a post to his thread every 5 or so years?  ???

Why are you surprised? It's not like people are going to bed thinking or dreaming about Artyomov's music or, at least, this is what the lack of activity in this thread is telling me.