Author Topic: The essence of Schumann can be found in THIS work  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
Re: The essence of Schumann can be found in THIS work
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Well the alter-ego was only part of why I chose the work. I mainly chose it for it being a keyboard work and because of its romantic lyricism, both which I think suit Schumann's character.

I don't understand what you're getting at here.  Schumann wrote a ton of keyboard works and just about all his compositions (keyboard or otherwise) are strong on romantic lyricism.

CaughtintheGaze

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
I don't understand what you're getting at here.  Schumann wrote a ton of keyboard works and just about all his compositions (keyboard or otherwise) are strong on romantic lyricism.

Yes, but not all of them were as explicit with the alter ego, which I think is a component I consider necessary. I just meant that statement to say that I didn't choose it solely because of it.

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
Yes, but not all of them were as explicit with the alter ego, which I think is a component I consider necessary. I just meant that statement to say that I didn't choose it solely because of it.

Okay, and I agree about the explicit nature of Davidsbundlertanze and Kreisleriana.

CaughtintheGaze

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Okay, and I agree about the explicit nature of Davidsbundlertanze and Kreisleriana.

That was the other composition that was in the race, for me.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
Guys, walk the plank ! Be men and make ONE choice!  ;)
Carnaval
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline mszczuj

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »
Kreisleriana.

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
I like Carnaval, but there is not enough of the "dark side", the Hoffmannian gothic romantic in this piece which may be the most obviously brilliant of his longer pieces. So I'd go with Kreisleriana or Davidsbündlertänze. Of the song cycles I'd nominate the Eichendorff op.39 before Dichterliebe. Dichterliebe is great, of course, but I am not always sure if Schumann is not too serious for the ironic Heine. The Eichendorff-Lieder are all romantic longing (with some dark undertones, like in "Zwielicht")
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline EigenUser

• Veteran member
  • Mahler's 9th - "Deadlifts in the midst of life"
    • Ligeti's Laboratory
    Bartok, Ligeti, Ravel, Gershwin, Debussy, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Feldman, Messiaen, Haydn, Ockeghem, Adès, Mahler, Ohana, Webern, Boulez, Varese, Beethoven, Berg, Scriabin, Tippett, Takemitsu, Vaughan-Williams
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Interesting that this thread surfaces today. The day before yesterday I was in the car listening to the quadruple horn concerto (Konzertstuck) and I was thinking that this a particularly Schumann-y work. I have no idea why that piece isn't more well-known. It is absolutely captivating from the emphatic first two notes to the end.

The 4th symphony also is a good example -- perhaps more so since there are more "stormy" sections. Basically, anything with a lot of jumpy dotted rhythms juxtaposed with lyrical, flowing melodies and major/minor transitions that seem like they shouldn't work, but they somehow do. Maybe this doesn't make sense, but that's what Schumann is to me.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
Kreisleriana | Fantasy in C

Part of the essence of Schumann is putting seemingly incompatible and disparate elements together to form a kind of unity. Therefore I choose these two as the two halves of Schumann: light and darkness. Two halves of the same work.

Alternately, I guess the Humoreske could do.