Singer Has Brain Damage

Started by Anne, July 11, 2007, 12:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

By DANIEL J. WAKIN
Published: July 11, 2007
Jerry Hadley, a major American operatic tenor whose career had waned in recent years, apparently shot himself in the head with an air rifle at his home in upstate New York early Tuesday morning and was seriously injured, the police have said.

Jerry Hadley as Jay Gatsby and Dawn Upshaw as Daisy Buchanan in the Metropolitan Opera production of "The Great Gatsby" in 2002.

Mr. Hadley, 55, suffered brain damage and is on life support, State Police Sgt. Gerry Salmon said today. Mr. Hadley was wounded inside his house in Clinton Corners, near Poughkeepsie, Sergeant Salmon said, adding that the case was being investigated as an attempted suicide.

Mr. Hadley was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie, Sergeant Salmon said. "The CAT scan and other X-rays they took at the time show some pretty severe brain injury," the sergeant added. "They do not expect him to recover."

Mr. Hadley appeared to be having difficulties in the last few years. In May 2006, he was arrested on drunken-driving charges while sitting in a parked car on Riverside Drive in Manhattan, but prosecutors later dropped the case.

In recent months, he had been talking about reviving his career with a move into character roles, according to Neil Funkhouser, an artists' manager.

"He always seemed to me to be one of the most upbeat, positive people that I knew," Mr. Funkhouser said. "This comes as a total shock to me. There was nothing that would indicate to me that something like this would happen."

Others, however, said Mr. Hadley seemed to be in distress, including financial problems, according to the police.

"I know he's been in really bad trouble," said the composer John Harbison. "He's been very depressed."

Mr. Hadley created the title role in Mr. Harbison's "Great Gatsby" at the Metropolitan Opera in 1999, and performances in the role in May 2002 were his last at the Met, where he made his debut in 1987.

"He came across, obviously, as a very upbeat character," Mr. Harbison said, "but you could always tell, in his singing, that there was a lot of complexity to his personality."

Mr. Hadley, who grew up in Manlius, Ill., began his career in 1976 at the Lake George Opera Festival and made his European debut in 1982 at the Vienna State Opera. His career soared in the 1980s and 1990s, when he became known for a lyric, Italianate style combined with an American clarity and directness.

At the Met, he sang the leading tenor roles in "The Rake's Progress," "Così Fan Tutte," "L'Elisir d'Amore," "La Traviata" and "Die Zauberflöte," among others. Mr. Hadley sang at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, the San Francisco Opera, the Royal Opera at Covent Garden, the Vienna State Opera, the Teatro alla Scala in Milan, the Salzburg Festival and elsewhere.

Mr. Hadley was also at home singing musical theater and popular songs, and won three Grammy Awards.

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

greg

that must suck to not die after shooting yourself in the head......

marvinbrown

Quote from: Florestan on July 11, 2007, 12:05:22 PM
Sad and saddening.

Yes, its really disheartening to read news like this....life is so precious and so many people do not value it for what its really worth. Another loss to the opera world.

marvin

bhodges

This is very sad.  Several friends this morning wrote that they had heard something about this, and weren't sure he was alive.  But from this report it sounds like he may not make it. 

I have heard him a number of times live and have a few of his recordings, including Bernstein's final Candide.  I always thought he had a beautiful voice.

--Bruce

greg

it's possible i've heard him, too. I have heard a broadcast of one of Harbison's song cycles being premiered, so it could've been him singing.

Anne

I have this problem with holes in my memory so please bear with me.

I remember watching Jerry Hadley and the woman who sang Salome at the Met about 2 years ago (the one that everyone is waiting for the DVD to be released).  They sang a most delightful duet from "Die Fledermous".  Is there a wristwatch duet or aria?  It was James Levine's 25th celebration.  That duet positively sizzled - both of them laughing, their eyes sparkling as he tried to retrieve the watch except she put it in her bosom.  I'll never forget it.
Please forgive all my errors.

knight66

Possibly the woman was Mattila? It is a sad piece of news, no mention of a family, but no doubt there is one there going through it all.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Anne

Quote from: knight on July 11, 2007, 03:28:50 PM
Possibly the woman was Mattila? It is a sad piece of news, no mention of a family, but no doubt there is one there going through it all.

Mike

Yes!  Thanks.

My condolences to the family at such a sad time.

springrite

Sad news!

Has he been in therapy? (I ask because here in China there is little psychological help available, and not enough acceptance for the profession. So when a tragedy happens I invariably ask myself IF my profession could have helped. )

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: springrite on July 11, 2007, 04:11:39 PM
Sad news!

Has he been in therapy? (I ask because here in China there is little psychological help available, and not enough acceptance for the profession. So when a tragedy happens I invariably ask myself IF my profession could have helped. )

It seems the guy was in trouble, even arrested for DUI outside the Met last year but not prosecuted. (I think because he allegedly hadn't started the car.)

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Iago

Quote from: greg on July 11, 2007, 12:22:01 PM
that must suck to not die after shooting yourself in the head......

Typical response from a child
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

yashin

Sad news of one of my favourite tenors.  It just shows you how life is odd-you think someone has everything but you never know what it is like in their shoes.  How many of us would love to be able to sing like Jerry?  How many of us have listened to his singing and wondered what it would be like to do that?......and here he is shooting himself in the head........very sad, and a pity he could not/would not seek the help he so badly needed.

I recall some of my favourite roles of his.  I happen to love his Werther CD with Kent Nagano.  For me it is the perfect Werther on disc-i know some don't like it but it somehow fits what i believe Werther to be.

His Almaviva on disc with Thomas Hampson is also a terrific performance-again this is my favourite Barber cd.

Also hos Tom Rake is first class.

I am saddened to hear the news.  I hope his condition improves.

bricon

greg

Quote from: Iago on July 11, 2007, 09:41:59 PM
Typical response from a child
oh, like you have anything smarter to say

yashin

Show some respect Gents please....now is not the time nor the place.  Leave people with their thoughts with Jerry Hadley at this time.

The new erato

Quote from: greg on July 12, 2007, 04:53:18 AM
oh, like you have anything smarter to say
An oicasion like this isn't an occasion to show off one's smartness, only one's humanity.

bhodges

jochanaan

I only heard him once or twice, but he seems to have been fearless in tackling contemporary opera roles.  For that I mourn his loss.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Steve