(TheGS) Moeller's Museum

Started by TheGSMoeller, October 07, 2012, 10:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Hey fellow GMG'rs, I've really enjoyed my time on this forum, and because of this time I have had the fortune of meeting some truly friendly and inspirational people from all over this world. So I thought it's about time that I host my own thread here to share with you all some of my creations.

A little background...I studied music at George Mason University for several years, mainly focusing on history and education. Although I didn't finish with this degree, I never stopped studying. I've performed in middle school, high school and college in such various groups as jazz band (tenor sax) marching band (mellophone and trumpet) and orchestras (French horn), and even conducted my school wind ensemble for a senior solo, maybe one day that will make it's way on here  ;).
I later studied film and television with a main focus in digital video. I would love to combine my knowledge of music into the videos I created. This of course has led to subjecting my son to become the lead of several shorts, he's now at the age where I can finally direct him to certain actions instead of just following a drooling, and spontaneous life form, but that did lead to some great stuff.

I've always dabbled in composing, it's been a hobby of mine since I began performing and studying music. I'm certainly an amateur, but recently was given the job of composing music for a children's app. So I can guess you could consider that my first professional gig. Anyway, I've been posting some of my music onto Sound Cloud, and would love to share it with you. Of course feel free to comment, any comments are welcomed, even if you feel the need to criticize.

If you've made it this far, then I thank you, I realize seeing lots to read before getting anywhere may not be the best marketing approach.

I'll start with the piece that means quite a bit to me right now, it's titled "The Passion of Beckett Zayd", and it's dedicated to my son. It began as a score to a short 5 minute film I made about my then almost 2-year old son. I thought it would be a challenge yet fun to write my own piece for the film. It has been revised and lengthened for listening without the video. This is the piece that more than likely got me the gig for the video game app.
I've used Finale Print Music to write the score, and used Garritan: Aria player for the sounds. Here is the link to it on Sound Cloud (I've noticed a little distortion from Sound Cloud, although it may be my speakers), and I hope you enjoy...

http://soundcloud.com/gregory-moeller/the-passion-of-beckett-zayd

madaboutmahler

Greg! Thank you for starting your thread. Very interesting post which I enjoyed reading very much. I shall set aside some time this evening to listen to your piece, looking forward to it! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Greg, just listened to The Passion of Beckett Zayd and really enjoyed it very much! It's a really wonderful piece, with a great, memorable melody, and really delightful orchestration. From a harsh technical point of view, perhaps I would wanted it to change tonal centre a bit more often, but this doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of the piece.

Wonderful work, Greg! I look forward to hearing more of your work and reading more about it on your thread! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 07, 2012, 12:19:08 PM
Greg, just listened to The Passion of Beckett Zayd and really enjoyed it very much! It's a really wonderful piece, with a great, memorable melody, and really delightful orchestration. From a harsh technical point of view, perhaps I would wanted it to change tonal centre a bit more often, but this doesn't really take away from my enjoyment of the piece.

Wonderful work, Greg! I look forward to hearing more of your work and reading more about it on your thread! :)

Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate the kind words. I actually wrote this several years ago, when I was beginning to get back into composing, I feel that even in the years since this I have increased my abilities. I look forward to sharing more with you.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 07, 2012, 12:56:35 PM
Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate the kind words. I actually wrote this several years ago, when I was beginning to get back into composing, I feel that even in the years since this I have increased my abilities. I look forward to sharing more with you.
My pleasure, Greg. It was a wonderful piece! I see you have uploaded quite a lot to soundcloud, I shall definitely take a listen to some more! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

A very nice piece, Greg. Reminds me of the Simpsons; Homer sees his life fly by. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_3qlxBQnRY)
Can't wait to hear your newer works!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Greg - enjoyed your OP and listened to and enjoyed your composition - congrats!  Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

Thank you all for the feedback and kind words!  ;D

Here is the title track to the app that I scored. The game is called "Peek-a-Boo Memory", It was created by NightCrew Gaming and is a memory card game for young kids, it's only on Droid at the moment but the Apple market is in the works. http://www.amazon.com/NightCrew-Gaming-Peek-a-Boo-Memory/dp/B008VZJIEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349655664&sr=8-1&keywords=peek-a-boo+memory

So here is another link to my Sound cloud page for "Peek-a-Boo", it's scored for percussion and once again uses the Aria player sounds.

http://soundcloud.com/gregory-moeller/peek-a-boo-from-the-peek-a-boo

Mirror Image

Greg, I had no idea you composed music. Very cool and a nice work you posted here. Has a Minimalistic feel to it and given your admiration of composers like Glass and Nyman, it doesn't surprise me. ;) Anyway, keep up the good work!

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2012, 07:08:35 PM
Has a Minimalistic feel to it...

I disagree with you. I actually sat through the whole piece and ended up liking it! :D
Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

Quote from: Opus106 on October 07, 2012, 10:25:48 PM
I disagree with you. I actually sat through the whole piece and ended up liking it! :D
Hah! I agree with both of you...

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

North Star

Quote from: Opus106 on October 07, 2012, 10:41:19 PM
That's logically impossible.
You mean that liking a piece with a minimalistic feel (not necessarily for the whole time) is logically impossible?  ;D

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

Quote from: North Star on October 07, 2012, 10:43:14 PM
You mean that liking a piece with a minimalistic feel (not necessarily for the whole time) is logically impossible?  ;D

Yeah, that too. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

TheGSMoeller

Here is another track from the game, this one is called "Memory", I originally wrote it with a baroque ensemble in mind but eventually changed the instrumentation to better fit the game's atmosphere.

http://soundcloud.com/gregory-moeller/memory

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 14, 2012, 09:44:01 AM
Here is a recent composition titled "Elegy" for strings. This particular version used Aria Player sounds Violin(x2), Viola, Cello and Bass. I used solo string sounds instead of section strings, although the original intent was for a larger string ensemble.
It's a much darker piece than I am used to writing. There are several themes repeated throughout, the opening of Elegy finds itself desperately reaching out only to fall back down. A louder, more triumphant theme is introduced only to be silenced by a third theme with the violin carrying the melody, this third theme is balancing between hope and despair, searching for its proper home. The cello begins a repeated set of notes that slowly builds to an intense climax that merges, at times chaotically, all the previous melodies and themes. The piece once again falls to despair with a solo violin left all alone, giving out one last breath, one last word, with an unknown resolution.

http://soundcloud.com/gregory-moeller/elegy-for-strings

Nice piece, Greg;  good tone, good arc.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

It's Halloween!!!!  >:D  8)  :P  ;)

Here is my Halloween track that will accompany the first Seasons version of the Peek-a-Boo Memory app. I had fun with this one, it needed to be a small file size for the app, so it's a bit short but I may revisit it in the future and expand on it, or maybe not.

http://soundcloud.com/gregory-moeller/halloween-from-peek-a-boo

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2012, 09:57:30 AM
Nice piece, Greg;  good tone, good arc.

Thank you, Karl, much appreciated,

TheGSMoeller