Current Classical Music

Started by kperreurlloyd, January 31, 2015, 02:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kperreurlloyd

Someone posted a piano concerto in a forum, seeking reactions. I'm putting up my first piano concerto for any who'd care to listen.

My music is expressly offered to those who might not be enthusiastic about classical music as a whole, and perhaps, more particularly, on hearing recent compositions.

Its url is: http://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/162951.html. (headphones please!).

All my works are both on Youtube and on Score Exchange.

keith perreur-lloyd

J Joe Townley

Hi  keith, I might be the one you're referring to. I posted my piano concerto in here back in Aug of 2013. Was it this one:

http://youtu.be/jjP0_cP8TA8

At any rate I listened to the first 10 minutes and plan to go back for the rest later. Having the score is a lifesaver. Thanks for that. You're definitely a trained musician and a talented one. the music is mesmerizing. Solidly constructed. I sense you don't go for large climaxes but prefer an approached where the piano is set off against small ensembles of instruments much like a chamber concerto, even though this is scored for full orchestra. The big questions is: is this performable by live musicians. It is very technically complex and the rhythms are terrifying. I've learned myself that what can be generated on a sound program is often intricate enough to scare away even the bravest of pianists and orchestras who are attempting to do it live. My concerto, being cast in the post-Romantic tradition should have attracted attention but....zip. Orchestras are not in a mood to take on new works by unknown composers, I am learning. The costs to put on a concerto such as this, given the rehearsal time to get this incredibly complex score just right, would be astronomical--I'd say roughly in the neighborhood of 200K if you wanted a top-flight pianist and orchestra capable of doing justice to your music.

In sum, it's very good; imaginative; uses the orchestra well; the piano part is extremely difficult; a pianist would want a lot of bread to do this memorized, but it makes a great impression on first hearing but only for discerning ears, like most modern music. I'll try to give more feedback as I listen.
I think, therefore I was.