Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Started by Boris_G, July 11, 2007, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Karlheinz Stockhausen
HK Gruber
Joseph Haydn
Nena
Johann Strauss II
Meyerbeer
Peter Tchaikovsky
Carl Orff

Boris_G

Impressed with the Elgar vs Handel death match, I thought it would be interesting to see which of the above our more knowledgeable posters would pick as representative of the 'land of music'.  ;)

Bonehelm

Where the beedubaya is Beethoven?

And I'm sick of these goddamn threads. Must we pick the absolute greatest artist from every country? Do we really need to compare them, find the best one? What's the purpose? Who's going to stop listening to the "inferior" composers after voting? This is like asking people "What's the best food ever invented" or "what's the best book ever written". It's immaturity and absurdity of the question alone is astoundingly foolish. Not to mention there will be a shitload of crap posted following the initial post.

Brian

I think a mining engineer's son from Votkinsk would like to have a word with you about the definition of "German".

Mozart

Quote"What's the best food ever invented"
Its foolish to ask such a question because the answer is obvious. Liver and onions...duh :)

Bonehelm

Quote from: Mozart on July 11, 2007, 01:50:37 PM
Its foolish to ask such a question because the answer is obvious. Liver and onions...duh :)

The folks at North Korea wouldn't agree, however. dog meat FTW!

scottscheule

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 11, 2007, 12:58:44 PM
Where the beedubaya is Beethoven?

And I'm sick of these goddamn threads. Must we pick the absolute greatest artist from every country? Do we really need to compare them, find the best one? What's the purpose? Who's going to stop listening to the "inferior" composers after voting? This is like asking people "What's the best food ever invented" or "what's the best book ever written". It's immaturity and absurdity of the question alone is astoundingly foolish. Not to mention there will be a shitload of crap posted following the initial post.

Case and point.

mahlertitan

hey, maybe Boris_G is actually parodying another thread, a thread started by M? not a very good one, but you got to give him the credit for trying.

Steve

Quote from: scottscheule on July 11, 2007, 05:13:03 PM
Case and point.

With the inclusion of 'Nena' in the poll, you must be able to discern that this is a pointed parody of the other thread.

uffeviking

Since when is Tschaikovsky and Strauss German?

I thought we are done with those mindless 'Best' 'Greatest' et al threads?

Soundproof

Quote from: uffeviking on July 11, 2007, 07:55:40 PM
Since when is Tschaikovsky and Strauss German?

I thought we are done with those mindless 'Best' 'Greatest' et al threads?

I was waiting for someone to notice ...  ;D

Bonehelm

Quote from: Soundproof on July 11, 2007, 07:58:45 PM
I was waiting for someone to notice ...  ;D

I can't believe Carl Orff is on the list too. Isn't he a one-hit-wonder composer?

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

uffeviking

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 11, 2007, 08:08:36 PM
I can't believe Carl Orff is on the list too. Isn't he a one-hit-wonder composer?

Maybe you could spend some time becoming better acquainted with Carl Orff.  :)
I have ten of his compositions in my collection, and that's certainly not a complete collection.

Bonehelm

Quote from: uffeviking on July 11, 2007, 08:45:40 PM
I have ten of his compositions in my collection, and that's certainly not a complete collection.

Thanks but no thanks, I have 10000 more meaningful composers (to me) on my list  ;)

Soundproof

Quote from: uffeviking on July 11, 2007, 08:45:40 PM

Yes, but how many points do we deduct because of Carmina Burana?

uffeviking

Ninety?

But the other ten percent are very special, unfortunately overshadowed by the Carminas. I admit I have about ten versions of it!  ;)

PSmith08

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 11, 2007, 08:08:36 PM

Apparently, you've never heard De temporum fine comoedia.