Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Started by Boris_G, July 11, 2007, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Karlheinz Stockhausen
HK Gruber
Joseph Haydn
Nena
Johann Strauss II
Meyerbeer
Peter Tchaikovsky
Carl Orff

knight66

I ordered the Fricsay version. The CD cover does not suggest a coupling, though other versions do have pairings. Is there something else on the disc?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

M forever

According to the DG website, it also contains a symphony by Fortner and the Paganini variations by Blacher. Who were two interesting and not so well known German composers, too, BTW.

knight66

Thanks, I saw on Amazon Blacher's name listed against the disc, but no further detail and thought it might be Boris Blacher.

Mike

M forever

There is also his son Kolja who is a well know musician, too, but I don't think he composes. He is a violinist. Throughout most of the Abbado era, he was one of the BP's concert masters.

not edward

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 06:59:38 AM
According to the DG website, it also contains a symphony by Fortner and the Paganini variations by Blacher. Who were two interesting and not so well known German composers, too, BTW.
It has the finale of the Fortner symphony and the finale of Hartmann's 4th, plus the whole of the Blacher.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

S709

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 06:59:38 AM

Indeed, Fortner and Blacher are well worth investigating. I especially like Blacher's trumpet concerto and piano concertos.

knight66

Quote from: edward on July 13, 2007, 07:58:17 AM
It has the finale of the Fortner symphony and the finale of Hartmann's 4th, plus the whole of the Blacher.

Sounds like an odd programme, but I am looking forward to it.

Mike