Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Started by Boris_G, July 11, 2007, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the greatest German composer ever?

Karlheinz Stockhausen
HK Gruber
Joseph Haydn
Nena
Johann Strauss II
Meyerbeer
Peter Tchaikovsky
Carl Orff

uffeviking

There is only one Johann Strauss II, born in Vienna, commonly ref. to as The Waltz King.

johnshade

The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

M forever

Quote from: uffeviking on July 12, 2007, 10:10:54 AM
There is only one Johann Strauss II, born in Vienna, commonly ref. to as The Waltz King.

Are you referring to Johann Strauß maybe?

mahlertitan

Quote from: M forever on July 12, 2007, 10:46:41 AM
Are you referring to Johann Strauß maybe?

ooooo.... you can type German... ooooo how impressive... i guess "StrauSS" is wrong then.

johnshade

~
The truly Bavarian Strauss, Richard (and he spelled it Strauss).
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Soundproof

Quote from: johnshade on July 12, 2007, 11:07:28 AM
~
The truly Bavarian Strauss, Richard (and he spelled it Strauss).

He actually did. The ß wasn't used uniformly through German speaking territories, and some preferred the double-s.

Soundproof

Quote from: johnshade on July 12, 2007, 10:25:09 AM
This is the greatest German composer:

I want the time this film took from my life back!!! It is incomprehensibly bad - and also steals freely from other films of the genre, including Amadeus. (An outright theft is the composing scene: "Do you have it?" "Yes, yes, I have it!" (Schaeffer should get royalties).

Worst of all were the somewhat clunky references to B's deafness.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Soundproof on July 12, 2007, 11:18:44 AM
I want the time this film took from my life back!!! It is incomprehensibly bad - and also steals freely from other films of the genre, including Amadeus. (An outright theft is the composing scene: "Do you have it?" "Yes, yes, I have it!" (Schaeffer should get royalties).

The most ridiculous part was that it seemed Beethoven wasn't completely deaf, he can actually HEAR depend upon the situation (with the most ridiculous looking hearing-aid ever).

M forever

Quote from: Soundproof on July 12, 2007, 11:18:44 AM

I think I actually downloaded this from the binary newsgroups but never watched it know somebody who has the DVD so I could borrow it, but I am not eally interested in hearing Beethoven speak English. That's a little bizarre. Like in Germany, they dub all the movies, so you can hear Bruce Willis speak German. That's pretty bizarre, too.

Who is Schaeffer?

SKALKOTTAS

tchaikovksy? lol! hehe :) in my opinion is beethoven! the greatest of all, MOZART.

Soundproof

Schaeffer wrote the original play Amadeus, from which the scriptwriters for Copying Beethoven have stolen freely.

And trust me (yes, I know that's a stretch) you do not want to waste time on this film. The opening alone will have you heaving out the window.

Soundproof

M forever

That's easy for me to remember because that's my name (except I still have the C between the S and H).
I just needed to get back at you for finding the mistake in my complex calculation 1982-1973=19. I worked that out on paper in the meantime (poooohhh), and it is indeed only 9, not 19.
The original result was spit out by my high end $1000 calculating machine which has been blind tested by some world famous mathematicians (who however prefer to remain anonymous) and they found it calculates with more punch and feel than comparable other calculating machines. How could this mistake happen?

Soundproof

The greatest German composer, ever, is a task. Chiefly because there are such a lot to choose from, which is to the credit of German musical tradition. My life would be poorer without their contribution.

Who to pick as the greatest really doesn't get my blood going. I'm just enjoying them. Including the fact that a lot of the guys who faded away are being resurrected now - there's a lot of good music to look forward to hearing for the first time yet.

I only found out about Kalkbrenner last year, for instance. And the sheer joy of putting an interesting piano concerto I had never heard before into my CD-player was pretty good stuff.

M forever

If you want to discover a good German composer who is still very little known, check out Hartmann.

Soundproof

I'll follow up on that. Have none of his music in my collection ...

BTW - "Toll. Es war blödsinnig eine von Tills Wanderkarten zu vertrauen."

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: M forever on July 12, 2007, 07:02:23 AM
BTW, Mr Rinkel, did you see I added two more clips (E and F)?

I did. I will listen to them after dinner.