Romantic Piano Trios, Quartets and Quintets

Started by milk, October 24, 2012, 02:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I listened to Faure's 2nd quartet this morning.

I'm in danger of having to retract the statement that I prefer the quintets!

A fairly forceful work by Faure's standards.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

snyprrr

Quote from: milk on October 24, 2012, 02:36:51 AM
I've just been listening to Faure's piano quartets and, to be honest, I'm not terribly moved by them so far. I'm a big fan of piano trios, quartets and quintets by Beethoven (trios) Schubert (trios), Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Dvorak. I'm wondering what other romantic piano chamber music people love. Do people think Faure is on par with the works of the aforementioned composers? What about Hummel, Onslow, etc.? I'm curious if people think other composers equal or come close to the ones I've mentioned in this category...

There is a wonderful Thread called 'Piano Quintets'.

SergeCpp

Friedrich Kuhlau (1786—1832) Piano Quartets — Copenhagen Piano Quartet

[ Quartets Nos 1 & 2 | Quartet No 3 ]
There is a strangeness in simple things.

SergeCpp

Arthur Foote (1853—1937) Piano Trios — Arden Trio

Quote from: Wikipedia

Arthur William Foote (March 5, 1853 in Salem, Massachusetts – April 8, 1937 in Boston, Massachusetts) was an American classical composer.
Quote from: ClassicsToday

Even though American composer Arthur Foote (1853—1937) lived well into the 20th century, his music is definitely a product of 19th century Romanticism, particularly German Romanticism. This isn't to say his music is derivative, but it does hark back to modes established by Mozart, Schumann and Brahms...

Artistic Quality: 10
Sound Quality: 10

ClassicsToday
Quote from: Jeffrey Lehman (Amazon)

Beautiful, intimate, pieces. Excellent performances.

I have all 3 volumes of Arthur Foote's chamber music on Naxos, and consider all three to be wonderful, but this disc is the best of the three.

Foote's music was not groundbreaking, radical or new, but what he did, he did well. The result, classical music that will delight people who want a classical music experience...

Jeffrey Lehman (Amazon)

//

Total Rafa

A couple of nice, but probably less-played quintets:

Dohnanyi - Piano Quintet No. 2
Granados  - Piano Quintet

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

These days I was listening to several works from this CD, among them the two Piano Trios and Piano Quintet by Giuseppe Martucci. Firmly romantic, lyric, intimate, refined.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SergeCpp