Romantic Piano Trios, Quartets and Quintets

Started by milk, October 24, 2012, 02:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I've just been listening to Faure's piano quartets and, to be honest, I'm not terribly moved by them so far. I'm a big fan of piano trios, quartets and quintets by Beethoven (trios) Schubert (trios), Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Dvorak. I'm wondering what other romantic piano chamber music people love. Do people think Faure is on par with the works of the aforementioned composers? What about Hummel, Onslow, etc.? I'm curious if people think other composers equal or come close to the ones I've mentioned in this category...

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: milk on October 24, 2012, 02:36:51 AM
I've just been listening to Faure's piano quartets and, to be honest, I'm not terribly moved by them so far. I'm a big fan of piano trios, quartets and quintets by Beethoven (trios) Schubert (trios), Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Dvorak. I'm wondering what other romantic piano chamber music people love. Do people think Faure is on par with the works of the aforementioned composers? What about Hummel, Onslow, etc.? I'm curious if people think other composers equal or come close to the ones I've mentioned in this category...

Its like comparing Apples to Pears. To think in terms of  being equal to this or that composer is a dead end in itself. Faure's chamber music is very well composed, that it does not move you is a personal thing. Music touches you or it doesn't, as simple as that.

milk

Quote from: Harry on October 24, 2012, 02:58:37 AM
Its like comparing Apples to Pears. To think in terms of  being equal to this or that composer is a dead end in itself. Faure's chamber music is very well composed, that it does not move you is a personal thing. Music touches you or it doesn't, as simple as that.
I'm just looking for recommendations. I hadn't discovered Dvorak's piano quartets until recently. I might try a little more to get into Faure. It is personal. But Dvorak really blew me away. Thanks for the reply. Perhaps my post is a bit shallow.

North Star

Dvorak's piano quintets and trios are superb, too, but you probably know that already.

Quote from: Harry on October 24, 2012, 02:58:37 AM
Its like comparing Apples to Pears.
That would be a strange comparison
vs.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Try Ignaz Lachner's trios for violin, viola and piano. They are superb.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

milk

Quote from: Florestan on October 24, 2012, 03:27:15 AM
Try Ignaz Lachner's trios for violin, viola and piano. They are superb.

OK! Thanks for the recommendation.

DavidW

Beethoven is not a Romantic era composer.  Faure was a great artist, his chamber music is some of the finest ever written.  I notice that Tchaikovsky is not on your short list.  Do you dislike his music too?  If you simply haven't heard it try his chamber music.  Also Arensky's Piano Trio.

North Star

Quote from: DavidW on October 24, 2012, 03:39:33 AMTchaikovsky
Yes! His piano trio is a fantastic work. Also Rachmaninoff's Trio Elegiaque No. 2, written after Tchaikovsky's death.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

You could consider Farrenc, Arensky, Gernsheim, and Saint-Saens.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

On par? Absolutely!! Faure all the way.  But I like the quintets better than the quartets (NB the quintets are considerably later works).  The Domus recording of the quintets is one of my favourite discs ever.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time with the idea of being a fan of the Brahms and not being a fan of the Faure. They're in a similar part of my musical map.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: orfeo on October 24, 2012, 05:31:53 AM
On par? Absolutely!! Faure all the way.  But I like the quintets better than the quartets (NB the quintets are considerably later works).  The Domus recording of the quintets is one of my favourite discs ever.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time with the idea of being a fan of the Brahms and not being a fan of the Faure. They're in a similar part of my musical map.

The difference between Faure quartet recordings is pretty huge. I switched from the Brilliant Classics one to Trio Wanderer's recording and was really pretty amazed at how much more powerful the music got.

My favorite romantic piano quartets and quintets just have to include Schumann, Dvorak, Taneyev, Faure, and ...Herzogenberg!

71 dB

Fauré's Piano Quintets are absolutely fantastic works. His Piano Quartets are almost as great.

Taneyev's works kick ass.

As an Elgarian I find Elgar's Piano Quintet magnificent!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

milk

Quote from: 71 dB on October 24, 2012, 08:06:12 AM
Fauré's Piano Quintets are absolutely fantastic works. His Piano Quartets are almost as great.

Taneyev's works kick ass.

As an Elgarian I find Elgar's Piano Quintet magnificent!
I'll keep listening to the Faure. Perhaps it will grow on me. I like the Sherzo in the first quartet. I'll check our Elgar.
Thanks for the recommendation.

val

Cesar Franck Piano Quintet is a very beautiful, passionate work.

Regarding Fauré my first choice goes to the piano Trio and the two piano Quintets.

The best piano Quartets I ever heard (excepting Mozart) are those of Brahms, in special the first and the third.

listener

I recently discovered the Trio Hochelaga and their recordings of, for the most part, non-mainstream French chamber music - Dubois, Migot, Lekeu, etc.
Here's a lik for more info: http://www.atmaclassique.com/En/Artistes/ArtisteDisco.aspx?ArtisteID=1212
Beautiful warm sound and playing.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Florestan

Not exactly a piano quintet but Chausson's Concert for Violin, Piano and String Quartet is a gem.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

mszczuj

I would like to recommend Juliusz Zarębski's Piano Quintet.

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Brian

Quote from: mszczuj on October 25, 2012, 12:18:18 AM
I would like to recommend Juliusz Zarębski's Piano Quintet.
Which is being released in December on Hyperion! Click here for sound samples.

Daverz

Foerster piano trios:

[asin]B00005YXLV[/asin]

A favorite recording of the Taneyev Trio: