Blind Comparison: Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique

Started by madaboutmahler, October 27, 2012, 06:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

This should be a pretty thrilling comparison!! And hopefully a good contrast inbetween Mahler 1 and Brian's Gaspard da nuit comparison in January.

Please post here if you wish to take part. We shall probably be starting in a week or two. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

This will be fun!!

Daniel and I are finalizing the details of the comparison. We are working on a fair and accurate structure that will hopefully offer the best final results.

And, Sarge, you may not have to listen to Champs until the final round.  :P  ;D

I hope we get a good turnout.

Lisztianwagner

It sounds an amazing comparison, you can certainly count me in! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 27, 2012, 07:34:45 AM
And, Sarge, you may not have to listen to Champs until the final round.  :P  ;D

In that case, I'm in   :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

I'm in! Although, personal events may mean I am not able to participate as I would like. Still, I should be fine for the first round.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

TheGSMoeller

I hope I'm not stepping on Daniel's toes here, but I would like to tell you the format that I suggested and I think he will use.

Round 1: Excerpts from Mvts. 1 and 5 - app. 12-13 mins for each recording
Round 2: Excerpts from Mvts. 2 and 4 - app. 6-7 mins for each recording
Final Round: Entire recording

First, the separation of the excerpts. Symphonie Fantastique creates an incredible arc, both in the music and in the story contained within. And much of the important dramatic development occurs during it's tremendous bookends, 1. Rêveries – Passions (Daydreams – Passions) and 5. Songe d'une nuit de sabbat (Dream of a Witches' Sabbath). I believe that by beginning the round with excerpts from the 1st and 2nd mvt. would eliminate the chance for the listener to hear this arc and performances or interpretations that build the intensity could be missed. I personally know of recordings that have a good opening Reveries, but build to a knock out of a finale. The middle movement 3. Scène aux champs (Scene in the Country) will only be heard in the final round, this is to decrease the amount of listeners falling asleep during this time. (Might be an inside joke, but I know some will appreciate it  ;) )

Now to the timing of the rounds. The first round is obviously longer than the second, and for good reason. First off the opening and final movements are longer than the other two, thus allowing more of the recording to be presented. But there is a better reason, and it's main focus is the first movement. I suggested that almost half of Reveries be played in order to reach the idée fixe, the true star of this piece. I find it being an important section of the entire symphony, plus it's around this time that the orchestra begins to show it's muscle. It's about 8-9 mins in length to this part. And the final movement will reach until around the dies irae section, or even through the dies irae section, the bell is always an important factor.

I know the opening round may seem long, but I find it important to hit these major sections early and help in getting accurate votes. 

Hopefully this helps in understanding some of the changes made. I'm really excited for this comparison.

xochitl

johndoe21ro

TimH

trung224

madaboutmahler

Great to have you all on board!! :D

And, Greg, thank you very much for your great post. I am very grateful for the help and advice you are giving for this comparison, considering you are such an expert on the piece! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

betterthanfine

As I enjoyed reading the Mahler 1 thread greatly, I'd love to give this one a go! Hopefully I'll have the time and the ability to form some intelligent thoughts about each recording so I can participate properly, heh.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 27, 2012, 06:42:50 PMThe middle movement 3. Scène aux champs (Scene in the Country) will only be heard in the final round, this is to decrease the amount of listeners falling asleep during this time. (Might be an inside joke, but I know some will appreciate it  ;) )

I'm getting sleepy just thinking about that movement.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: betterthanfine on October 28, 2012, 05:38:02 AM
As I enjoyed reading the Mahler 1 thread greatly, I'd love to give this one a go! Hopefully I'll have the time and the ability to form some intelligent thoughts about each recording so I can participate properly, heh.

Wait, where did you find intelligent thoughts on this forum?

;)
But please participate, this will be a good one.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: betterthanfine on October 28, 2012, 05:38:02 AM

That's great! Welcome! :) I'm sure we'll value your input very much! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Daverz

aukhawk

Yes I'm in, please.

Though I do wonder what repeated exposure to the idée fixe, is going to do for my sanity, or anyone else's come to that!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aukhawk on October 29, 2012, 06:23:03 AM
Yes I'm in, please.

Though I do wonder what repeated exposure to the idée fixe, is going to do for my sanity, or anyone else's come to that!

Keep some opium handy, you'll be fine.