Boris Tishchenko (1939 - 2010)

Started by Mirror Image, October 29, 2012, 10:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

No one has mentioned Symphony 5, the one Penguin Guide was all hot and bothered over- written for DSCH.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on August 11, 2014, 05:43:49 AM
No one has mentioned Symphony 5, the one Penguin Guide was all hot and bothered over- written for DSCH.

I rarely mention music of which I have no awareness  8)

The Cello Concerto № 1 whose accompaniment Shostakovich rescored is intensely good:

[asin]B00004NHH4[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2014, 05:55:11 AM
I rarely mention music of which I have no awareness  8)

The Cello Concerto № 1 whose accompaniment Shostakovich rescored is intensely good:

[asin]B00004NHH4[/asin]

Sym. 5 is on YT. Check it out, it's quite the Big DSCH Symphony!

aukhawk

Maestro267

Oddly enough, I appear to have not posted in this thread. I shall rectify now:

About 2½ years ago, I came across a disc of Tishchenko's Violin Concerto No. 2, saw it was a substantial work, and took a gamble on it, having never heard of the composer to that point. I was absolutely blown away by it! One of the most intense pieces I've ever heard.

The new erato

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 29, 2016, 09:53:02 AM

About 2½ years ago, I came across a disc of Tishchenko's Violin Concerto No. 2, saw it was a substantial work, and took a gamble on it, having never heard of the composer to that point. I was absolutely blown away by it! One of the most intense pieces I've ever heard.
+1

An old favorite on a Russian Disc issue I have.

nathanb

Listened to parts of Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7. Impression of complete ambivalence. What's going on here?

Androcles

You can hear the Symphony No. 8 here: http://classic-online.ru/ru/production/76641

There is also a recording of Symphony No. 9, unfinished, but orchestrated by someone else a la Schnittke.
And, moreover, it is art in its most general and comprehensive form that is here discussed, for the dialogue embraces everything connected with it, from its greatest object, the state, to its least, the embellishment of sensuous existence.

relm1

This is the fragment/completion of the Tishchenko Symphony No. 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyWMuLBBoY

Maestro267

Northern Flowers are issuing a recording of the huge Symphony No. 4 (Leningrad PO/Rozhdestvensky) on November 11th, and Naxos has among its December releases a recording featuring Symphony No. 8, Concerto for Violin, Piano and String Orchestra, and 3 Songs to Poems of Maria Tsvetayeva.

André

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 29, 2016, 09:53:02 AM

New Erato mentions a Northern Flowers issue. Mine is on Olympia. A coruscating, fiendishly difficult work. His string quartets are surprisingly approachable yet intense works (also on the Olympia label).

I must explore that 4th symphony ! Time to revive my knowledge of the composer. I only have 1, 7 and the Blockade Chronicle Symphony.

Time to bump up Tischchenko in my listening schedule !  :)

relm1

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 24, 2016, 11:57:28 AM
Symphony no 4 is still my favorite though, and I dream of composing something like that!  ;)

I consider No. 4 to be the disaster of his oeuvre.  What am I missing?  I can't stand that work.  It is probably the most incoherent and rambling works I have ever heard. 

Rons_talking

My first exposure; Symphony No. 4...I really like it. I've heard a bit of 7 as well and look forward to familiarizing myself with his work. I haven't heard many of his generation out of Russia. Good music!

Maestro267

Quote from: André on October 24, 2016, 12:12:20 PM

New Erato mentions a Northern Flowers issue. Mine is on Olympia. A coruscating, fiendishly difficult work. His string quartets are surprisingly approachable yet intense works (also on the Olympia label).

I must explore that 4th symphony ! Time to revive my knowledge of the composer. I only have 1, 7 and the Blockade Chronicle Symphony.

Time to bump up Tischchenko in my listening schedule !  :)

Oh yes, the VC2 recording I have is the Olympia one. Sinaisky conducting, if I recall correctly (don't have it to hand rn).

Let's hope that the newly-issued recording of Symphony 4 has better sound quality than the version uploaded to Youtube.

relm1

Quote from: Rons_talking on October 25, 2016, 03:40:57 AM
My first exposure; Symphony No. 4...I really like it. I've heard a bit of 7 as well and look forward to familiarizing myself with his work. I haven't heard many of his generation out of Russia. Good music!

Maybe I'm nuts.  I will give it another listen when this disc is available.

relm1

I am curious if anyone heard this recording of the Symphony No. 4 and had a review of it?

http://altocd.com/northernflowers/nfpma99117-8/

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on February 08, 2017, 04:03:44 PM
I am curious if anyone heard this recording of the Symphony No. 4 and had a review of it?

http://altocd.com/northernflowers/nfpma99117-8/

I just bought it today, but it seems like to me to be some kind of collection of 'mini-symphonies'. Really looking forward to hearing it. To my ears, Tishchenko sounds like a cross between Schnittke and Shostakovich but with a Jon Leifs approved fleet of percussion, especially in the Dante-Symphonies and symphonies.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
I just bought it today, but it seems like to me to be some kind of collection of 'mini-symphonies'. Really looking forward to hearing it. To my ears, Tishchenko sounds like a cross between Schnittke and Shostakovich but with a Jon Leifs approved fleet of percussion, especially in the Dante-Symphonies and symphonies.

Wow, three years for me to get a response to my post.  Some of Tishchenko's works are mini symphonies but even then, they feel slightly incoherent.  For example, it is hard to detect a consistent thread through the Dante symphonies.  But maybe that is just me.  In contrast there are other composers who repeat an idea throughout their oeuvre.  For example how Shostakovich repeats the DSCH motif or Rachmaninoff repeats the Dies Irae.  That makes sense and the recurring idea has meaning.  I fail to hear that with Tishchenko who sometimes comes across as the composer who doesn't listen to what they wrote.  BUT I must state, his output is inconsistent because I love some of it and others I can't hear anything coherent. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on July 01, 2020, 05:26:37 PM
Wow, three years for me to get a response to my post.  Some of Tishchenko's works are mini symphonies but even then, they feel slightly incoherent.  For example, it is hard to detect a consistent thread through the Dante symphonies.  But maybe that is just me.  In contrast there are other composers who repeat an idea throughout their oeuvre.  For example how Shostakovich repeats the DSCH motif or Rachmaninoff repeats the Dies Irae.  That makes sense and the recurring idea has meaning.  I fail to hear that with Tishchenko who sometimes comes across as the composer who doesn't listen to what they wrote.  BUT I must state, his output is inconsistent because I love some of it and others I can't hear anything coherent.

Yeah, sometimes it takes me awhile to circle back to certain composers. ;) Anyway, yes, I wouldn't disagree with what you wrote about Tishchenko. I do think he is quite inconsistent, but, even within this inconsistency, I can't help but to be allured by the writing. He's kind of like a drunk, belligerent uncle --- even though, you dislike the way he goes about saying what's on his mind, you can't help but respect it and even find it brave or daring. I don't think he's a top rank Soviet composer, but he certainly does make his mark on the listener and as for your point some kind of continuity in his oeuvre, well, the same could be said of many Soviet composers around this time (specifically those born in the 1930s like Shchedrin, Schnittke, Gubaidulina, etc.). There's not really a common thread that runs through any of these composers' oeuvres, because each work is almost its own entity and when they go to write another work, they are sure not to repeat the same processes again.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 01, 2020, 05:26:37 PM
Which works do you love? I didn't hit it off with the Dante symphonies. I do have Symphony 5, I think, on Olympia so must have another listen to that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).