Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)

Started by Maciek, April 11, 2007, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greta

Been listening more to my recordings of Concerto for Orchestra. :) I love Wit's tempos and the overall feel of his interpretation, though the sound is kind of recessed. The Dohnanyi recording has stellar sound and playing, but the tempi are so quick! I do love their 2nd mvmt though.

Been browsing Amazon....any opinions of the following recordings?

I would love to hear Lutoslawski's own recording, but I can't believe how expensive it's gotten...$50-100!

Maciek

That's a nice list (I have the Tortelier on my wishlist myself) but what you really need, Greta, is to finally turn on PM notifications in your GMG settings! ;) ;)

ChamberNut

I'm going to be attending a chamber music performance this week, which includes Lutoslawski's Four Silesian Melodies for 4 violins (1945)

Does anyone have any recommendations for recordings?

Thank you in advance!  :)

Maciek

I don't think that specific version has ever been recorded. However, the 4 Silesian Melodies are an arrangement of 4 pieces from the Folk Melodies for piano (1945 - the 4 violin version is from 1954), so you could try that as a sort of substitute.

But even then, there's a catch, as I don't think anyone has released a recording of the whole cycle (which is pretty strange - I own the score: this is very attractive music). :'( There are two recordings I am aware of, and I have heard neither of them, so can't recommend anything.

1)

Julian Bream - Nocturnal. This is played on the guitar ( ???). Judging by samples - at a very leisurely pace. :-\

2)

Ann Martin-Davis - Lutoslawski The Complete Piano Music. The title of this album appears to be a complete hoax, as even the Folk Melodies are only partially represented (only 5 of the complete 12), not to mention the absence of Lutoslawski's Piano Sonata (which, at the time the CD was released, was only available in manuscript - but then, that's only half an excuse :P). I don't even see my favorite Lutoslawski piano piece - the short Invention. >:(

This, again, is rather slowish (either that, or there was something wrong with my metronome when I was playing these pieces ;D).

The complete cycle has most certainly been recorded by at least one person for the Polish Radio, but never commercially released - I've heard it a couple of times, but don't remember the pianist.

not edward

Bream--whose arrangement apparently came with the composer's approval--is certainly far more recommendable than the very pedestrian Martin-Davies. I only keep the latter disc because it's the only recording I have of the Epitaph for oboe and piano that could be said to inaugurate Lutoslawski's late style (plus the only recording I have of the voice/piano version of the Five Songs that you don't like the words to).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Maciek

Oh, and 5 of them he transcribed for strings, but I'm not sure if they're the same pieces as in the 4 violin version. One recording I'm aware of and, again, don't know:

Lutoslawski - Complete Works for String Orchestra, Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie/Jean-Paul Dessy (on Forlane)

Maciek

Quote from: edward on June 18, 2008, 08:33:19 AM
(plus the only recording I have of the voice/piano version of the Five Songs that you don't like the words to).

Edward, if you're ever on the lookout for a different take, you should definitely get the Ewa Podles recording of the Five Songs (on CD Accord)! 8) (Not for the Five Songs, really, or not only for them, but for a fantastic Szymanowski, and a few other gems.)

ChamberNut

Quote from: Maciek on June 18, 2008, 08:29:30 AM
I don't think that specific version has ever been recorded. However, the 4 Silesian Melodies are an arrangement of 4 pieces from the Folk Melodies for piano (1945 - the 4 violin version is from 1954), so you could try that as a sort of substitute.

But even then, there's a catch, as I don't think anyone has released a recording of the whole cycle (which is pretty strange - I own the score: this is very attractive music). :'( There are two recordings I am aware of, and I have heard neither of them, so can't recommend anything.

Interesting to hear that it hasn't been recorded yet (4 violin version).  Thanks alot for the info.  Looking forward to hearing the performance tomorrow night, as I'm really intrigued now.  :)

not edward

Quote from: Maciek on June 18, 2008, 08:38:15 AM
Edward, if you're ever on the lookout for a different take, you should definitely get the Ewa Podles recording of the Five Songs (on CD Accord)! 8) (Not for the Five Songs, really, or not only for them, but for a fantastic Szymanowski, and a few other gems.)
Now you've got me intrigued as I love that work, both in orchestral and voice/piano garb....do tell me more. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

Maciek

Quote from: edward on June 18, 2008, 10:27:37 AM
Now you've got me intrigued as I love that work, both in orchestral and voice/piano garb....do tell me more. ;)

Well, there's not all that much to say, really. It's simply a great disc, with great singing - especially if you like contraltos. The repertoire is a very basic survey of Polish song, from Chopin to the 20th century, with Lutosławski's cycle as a sort of crowning achievement. My favorites on the disc are a performance of Chopin's Leci liście z drzewa that is near to perfection, some very good Karłowicz, a shattering Three Kasprowicz Hymns (Szymanowski's) - with an absolutely breathtaking final song (Błogosławiona niech będzie ta chwila...), and an excellent Lutosławski (I sort of got used to the text by now ;D), maybe a trifle too aggressive (in the more impressionistic sections), but then being extreme is her style, and she's great at it. The Moniuszko seems a bit of a weak link to me - I know more convincing interpretations, the music seems to be calling for more restraint. Or maybe it's just a matter of getting used to a slightly different approach...

Pobłocka is absolutely peerless throughout.

Here's the last of the Kasprowicz cycle - I've never heard it done better, don't even think it's possible.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmi3nmzn7d5

And here's Wind from the Five Songs - you'll agree it's at least gale force. ;D

http://www.mediafire.com/?jqivn1ymxuy

And here's the cover:

And here's... No, that will be all for the moment. ;D

The new erato

You're all in luck; from the August release lists:

price: £9.50£8.09 ex.VAT

LUTOSLAWSKI Symphonies, Concerto for Orchestra etc. Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra / Witold Lutoslawski. EMI 3cds

Dundonnell

I am not a huge fan of Lutoslawski's later music(boo, hiss-my loss, I am sure :() but one work which I know that I ought to buy and listen to but have not yet acquired is the Cello Concerto.

Can someone...Maciek, Guido?....recommend a version for me? The Naxos is obviously the cheap option but I could, no doubt, pick up a better version(if appropriate) cheaply elsewhere.

Novi

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 26, 2008, 02:21:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of Lutoslawski's later music(boo, hiss-my loss, I am sure :() but one work which I know that I ought to buy and listen to but have not yet acquired is the Cello Concerto.

Can someone...Maciek, Guido?....recommend a version for me? The Naxos is obviously the cheap option but I could, no doubt, pick up a better version(if appropriate) cheaply elsewhere.

With a great Dutilleux to go with it as well :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Dundonnell

Of course...since the concerto was (I seem to recall) written for Rostropovich that would be an obvious choice, wouldn't it :) There are lots of cheap copies around too ;D

Thanks! Will hold off in the hope of more comment though :)

not edward

I'm very happy with any of Rostropovich, the Naxos or Wispelwey on Channel Classics (coupled with a very fine Elgar concerto). The other half-dozen or so performances that I have operate on a somewhat lower level.

Of those three, I'd have a hunch that Wispelwey might appeal most to someone not convinced of the merits of later Lutoslawski, though if I'm honest I will say that I find it one of the most abrasive of his mature works (it's also my single favourite composition by this composer, for what it's worth).

Dundonnell

Quote from: edward on September 26, 2008, 03:16:48 PM
I'm very happy with any of Rostropovich, the Naxos or Wispelwey on Channel Classics (coupled with a very fine Elgar concerto). The other half-dozen or so performances that I have operate on a somewhat lower level.

Of those three, I'd have a hunch that Wispelwey might appeal most to someone not convinced of the merits of later Lutoslawski, though if I'm honest I will say that I find it one of the most abrasive of his mature works (it's also my single favourite composition by this composer, for what it's worth).

That's interesting! Thank you!

I should just add for those like some guy who think that I am a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, reactionary(which I probably am ;)) that I have collected almost all of the Naxos Lutoslawski series in order to try to broaden my horizons :)

Maciek

I don't know the Wispelwey, so can't say, but the Rostropovich is a great recording. And so is the Andrzej Bauer (on Naxos). Bauer is really a wonderful cellist, it's a pity his discography isn't larger (yet). And the entire Naxos series is excellent (OK, at least the 4 or 5 volumes that I own are), so you can feel quite safe with that investment. (Even if you don't like the music, the investment was a good one. ;D)

Catison

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 26, 2008, 02:36:16 PM
Of course...since the concerto was (I seem to recall) written for Rostropovich that would be an obvious choice, wouldn't it :) There are lots of cheap copies around too ;D

Thanks! Will hold off in the hope of more comment though :)

I haven't heard any other recording than the Naxos, but let me say that this is one of those pieces that I reserve for special occasions because of its intensity.  The beginning alone, with that menacing repeated note on the cello, makes you hold your breath, waiting for some unleashed demon.  It is out of this world.

I also recently listened to Symphony No. 3 with Wit, and I have to say this is one of my favorite pieces of music.  It is always so satisfying, never too much modernism for its own sake.
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: Novi on September 26, 2008, 02:25:47 PM
With a great Dutilleux to go with it as well :).

I've got that one around, somewhere . . . I need to listen again!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Catison on September 27, 2008, 08:48:27 AM

I also recently listened to Symphony No. 3 with Wit, and I have to say this is one of my favorite pieces of music.  It is always so satisfying, never too much modernism for its own sake.

That's one of the things I like best about Luto - he never made a fetish of modernist techniques, but always used them for their expressive value. This is one reason why his music is so strongly communicative.

And the 3rd Symphony rocks the house  8)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach