Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)

Started by Maciek, April 11, 2007, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

And some more!

Harry

Last one

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Harry, those are highly recommendable (tho' I haven't heard the one with the 4th Symphony).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Harry

Quote from: Spitvalve on April 13, 2007, 01:04:52 AM
Harry, those are highly recommendable (tho' I haven't heard the one with the 4th Symphony).

That is good to hear, thank you!

Maciek

Harry do you actually like everything on those discs, Jeux VĂ©netiens and all? :o I'd be a bit surprised, knowing your tastes. But, OTOH, they might be expanding (the Sonic Steamroller!)... ;D

I don't have the whole Naxos series but the ones I have are all very good. The one with the 4th Symphony is my favorite recording of the Partita.

I notice you're still missing this one:

Get it! I'm convinced you'll love it!

I've recommended this one to you once before, and I repeat my wholehearted recommendation once more:

The performances are excellent!

You might also want to try out this recording of the Piano Concerto, it's very, very good:

Here is another excellent recording of the Partita:

A great recording of the Quartet (coupled with Szymanowski's!):

And don't forget the Philips set everyone keeps recommending:

Harry

Yes, strange as it may seem, this composer hits a nerve with me Maciek!

O, well vocal things from that period, are not to my taste, so I will skip the Naxos with the Christmas songs.
I wiil start with the Philips set, and ordered it already.
Thank you my friend. :)

Maciek

I'm glad to hear that, Harry. He truly is one of the greatest!

And I simply forgot that thing you have with sopranos... ;) But if you ever get a chance, do try that disc, I think you might be pleasantly surprised (and if you still don't like it, you can send it to me - I only know it from the radio ;D).

Harry

Quote from: MrOsa on April 13, 2007, 02:49:11 AM
I'm glad to hear that, Harry. He truly is one of the greatest!

And I simply forgot that thing you have with sopranos... ;) But if you ever get a chance, do try that disc, I think you might be pleasantly surprised (and if you still don't like it, you can send it to me - I only know it from the radio ;D).

Excellent idea Maciek.
Your on.

not edward

The Naxos set is strong overall, IMO. I think Wit's best in the mid-period modernist works, particularly Livre, Mi-Parti and the Cello Concerto, but there are few turkeys in the series (the Piano Concerto is one: I love Paleczny's readings of the Szymanowski Symphonie Concertante, but his Lutoslawski is mediocre compared to Zimerman or Crossley).

I'll re-recommend the Phillips set (I love Rowicki's recording of the CforO in particular, though I also think the composer's 3rd symphony is excellent).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Harry

Quote from: edward on April 13, 2007, 04:46:59 AM
The Naxos set is strong overall, IMO. I think Wit's best in the mid-period modernist works, particularly Livre, Mi-Parti and the Cello Concerto, but there are few turkeys in the series (the Piano Concerto is one: I love Paleczny's readings of the Szymanowski Symphonie Concertante, but his Lutoslawski is mediocre compared to Zimerman or Crossley).

I'll re-recommend the Phillips set (I love Rowicki's recording of the CforO in particular, though I also think the composer's 3rd symphony is excellent).

Fine, I am looking forward to the Philips set! :)

johnQpublic

Quote from: James on April 13, 2007, 01:16:54 PM
his 4th symphony is one of my faves, just so awesome.

Aww....I always go one step further and say it's a MASTERPIECE.

Maciek

That's a step in the right direction! :)

Robert

Quote from: MrOsa on April 13, 2007, 02:32:25 AM
Harry do you actually like everything on those discs, Jeux VĂ©netiens and all? :o I'd be a bit surprised, knowing your tastes. But, OTOH, they might be expanding (the Sonic Steamroller!)... ;D

I don't have the whole Naxos series but the ones I have are all very good. The one with the 4th Symphony is my favorite recording of the Partita.

I notice you're still missing this one:

Get it! I'm convinced you'll love it!

I've recommended this one to you once before, and I repeat my wholehearted recommendation once more:

The performances are excellent!

You might also want to try out this recording of the Piano Concerto, it's very, very good:

Here is another excellent recording of the Partita:

A great recording of the Quartet (coupled with Szymanowski's!):

And don't forget the Philips set everyone keeps recommending:

Maciek
This particular disc you have pictured here is volume one it has symphony no. 1 and other works on it. I can't seem to locate it.  Who is the conductor?  is the disc merlin?

Maciek

Hi Robert!

Yes, they have the disc at merlin.com.pl, and it's EXTREMELY cheap (16 zlotys - that's less than $ 6!!!).

Here's a link directly to the disc:
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/4,446368.html

The disc contains: Lacrimosa (Stefania Woytowicz, Silesian Philharmonic Choir, NOSPR/Lutosławski), Symphony No. 1 (NOSPR/Jan Krenz), Concerto for Orchestra and Funeral Music (National Philharmonic/Witold Rowicki)

They also have volume 2:
http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/product/4,36675.html

The rest is out of print, I think (there were 6 volumes in all).

Maciek

Maciek

I remember posting some gibberish somewhere (can't find it...) stating that Lutoslawski was not married. I'd like to set that straight (I'd even delete the original post if I knew where it was): in 1946 he married Danuta Bogusławska. She had a son from her first marriage - Marcin Bogusławski (he is an architect). They had no children together. She copied his scores, apparently they were a very happy marriage. She survived him.

karlhenning

Quote from: Maciek on May 30, 2007, 12:25:42 AM
I remember posting some gibberish somewhere (can't find it...) stating that Lutoslawski was not married. I'd like to set that straight (I'd even delete the original post if I knew where it was): in 1946 he married Danuta Bogusławska. She had a son from her first marriage - Marcin Bogusławski (he is an architect). They had no children together. She copied his scores, apparently they were a very happy marriage. She survived him.

You can never find the gibberish when you need it, eh, Maciek8)

MishaK

Can someone recommend a recording of Chain? I heard an outstanding performance here in Chicago recently with the CSO concertmaster Robert Chen and the CSO conducted by Haitink and would love to have a good recording.

bhodges

I'm not sure if this will compare with your memory of the live one with Haitink, but it's pretty good, and conducted by the composer so you might like having it in any case.  (I haven't listened to it in awhile.)

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Ronnefeld-Strawinsky-Dmitri-Shostakovich/dp/B00002DFFN/ref=sr_1_3/102-5466874-5712154?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1182970339&sr=1-3

There's one on Naxos conducted by Anton Wit that has gotten good comments but I haven't heard it.

--Bruce

Maciek

Is that Chain I you're asking about or Chain III?

Maciek

Quote from: karlhenning on June 27, 2007, 06:48:37 AM
You can never find the gibberish when you need it, eh, Maciek8)

I'd put it another way: there's alawys more gibberish than you want. Because it's never the gibberish you want. ;D