Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)

Started by Maciek, April 11, 2007, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Dundonnell:

I bought the Naxos recording on the recommendation of the fine people on this forum, and although I like it very much, I still prefer the Rostropovich version - as I have already said on this thread, that Rostropovich CD coupled with the Dutilleux is one of the absolute high points in his recorded output - and that is realy saying something. The Dutilleux is similarly fantastic - this is one of the best recordings of anything in my collection.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dundonnell

Ok, that clinches it :)

The Rostropovich version it will be!

It will give me another version of the Dutilleux(I already have the Lynn Harrell on Decca with Charles Dutoit and the Arto Noras on Warner with Jukka-Pekka Saraste) but what the hell :)

Maciek

Bumped in memory of the composer's 96th birthday.

Maciek

I keep forgetting to mention that CD Accord have embarked on a Lutoslawski "Opera Omnia" project. They've released one disc of chamber music so far, and they plan to release 1 to 2 discs per year until they've gone through the entire catalogue. I can only applaud their effort but I wish they had a tighter schedule... ::) ;D

(I really, really like this cover.) [EDIT I mean I really like the photo; the lettering/design is OK but it seems a bit derivative - wasn't there a series dedicated to some other composer that looked/looks almost exactly the same?? otherwise, I like it too - and maybe I'm imagining things anyway; but the photo is just great - that radiator, that suit, that little ladder, the lines, well - everything!]

(Also of note is the recent Brilliant box containing, I think, re-releases of selected tidbits from the old Polskie Nagrania Lutoslawski series.)

Maciek

Here you can find a live recording of Lutoslawski's "violin concerto" (Partita + Interlude + Chain 2). Played by Anne-Sophie Mutter! Warsaw Philharmonic/Antoni Wit, Grzegorz Gorczyca - piano.

snyprrr

Quote from: Maciek on February 15, 2009, 01:45:46 PM
I keep forgetting to mention that CD Accord have embarked on a Lutoslawski "Opera Omnia" project. They've released one disc of chamber music so far,

What's on it?

btw- you must think you're so cool just because you've got so many Ace Composer Threads (ACTs) 8)!!

Maciek

8)

String Quartet
Recitativo e arioso for violin and piano
Bucolics for viola and cello
Grave for cello and piano
Subito for violin and piano
Sacher-Variation for cello solo
Partita for violin and piano
Four Silesian Melodies for 4 violins

Total time: 73.14

Performers:
Lutosławski Quartet Wrocław
Radosław Pujanek - violin
Marcin Markowicz - violin
Artur Rozmysłowicz - viola
Maciej Młodawski - cello
Krzysztof Jakowicz - violin
Jakub Jakowicz - violin
Andrzej Bauer - cello
Bartosz Bednarczyk - piano
Elżbieta Zawadzka - piano
Jan Krzysztof Broja - piano

I hope you've been to the Bacewicz thread recently? There's a fantastic download posted there.

Maciek

There's a volume 2 in the CD Accord series (they're taking their time, I guess). ACD 161.

It has Symphonies 2 and 4 played by the Wroclaw PO under Kaspszyk.

Not sure if it's already out or just about to be released. (Can't find it for sale on-line.)

Mirror Image

I'm trying to get more into Lutoslawski, can anybody recommend a work, besides Concerto for Orchestra, that I might enjoy? Thanks for any recommendations.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 10, 2010, 08:29:58 PM
I'm trying to get more into Lutoslawski, can anybody recommend a work, besides Concerto for Orchestra, that I might enjoy? Thanks for any recommendations.

I'd have to go with the Salonen disc of 3-4 on Sony (the blue tint cover). Or, if it's not too expensive, just get the EMI 2-CD with the Symphonies 1-2, and a whole lot of other good stuff (don't get this confused with the "other" EMI 2-CD set, with the String Quartet).

However, if you're conservative, you will like the Funeral Music, and the Paganini piece. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on August 10, 2010, 09:00:37 PM
I'd have to go with the Salonen disc of 3-4 on Sony (the blue tint cover). Or, if it's not too expensive, just get the EMI 2-CD with the Symphonies 1-2, and a whole lot of other good stuff (don't get this confused with the "other" EMI 2-CD set, with the String Quartet).

However, if you're conservative, you will like the Funeral Music, and the Paganini piece. ;D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm more musically moderate. I can listen to very radical works or I can listen to something more tonal. It all depends on my own ears and, of course, my own tastes in music.

Dancing Divertimentian

This is a great disc:

Although this particular disc is OOP. But look for the reissue (still on DG) with different couplings featuring Mutter, though I haven't the Mutter performances.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

If you can find the Philips Duo "The Essential Lutoslawski," grab it.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Maciek

Mirror Image, given that the piece you enjoy so far is the Cto for orch, it might be prudent not to venture immediately into more "advanced" Lutoslawski, and listen to some more of his "lighter" (ie. earlier) stuff first. I would recommend the 1st Symphony (a piece in many ways very similar to the Concerto) and the Paganini Variations (the performance on Polskie Nagrania is only serviceable, I'd recommend Argerich instead, or a recording of the orchestrated version, which is even more fun).

Also Ouverture for strings, Silesian Tryptich, Little Suite, Dance Preludes, and Funeral Music (the most "advanced" piece in this set).

And you'll get your sample of more "modern" Lutoslawski inevitably - it'll come as couplings with all of these. ;D

Maciek

Quote from: Maciek on August 09, 2010, 01:52:30 PM
Not sure if it's already out or just about to be released. (Can't find it for sale on-line.)

Definitely out. In the last couple of days I've spotted it multiple times in regular brick-and-mortar stores.

Maciek

Great! That's the only recording of the Partita that I still don't have and I have been trying to hunt it down for ages!

The Interlude itself, OTOH, isn't such a rare find. I have 3 different recordings, including one in the popular Naxos series (under Wit, coupled with Chain 2 and the Partita, as well as the 4th Symphony and Funeral Music).

I agree the Interlude is an absolutely wonderful piece. Lutoslawski as minimalist (rather in the style of Tomasz Sikorski).

karlhenning

Quote from: Maciek on September 23, 2010, 04:24:10 AM
Great! That's the only recording of the Partita that I still don't have and I have been trying to hunt it down for ages!

The Interlude itself, OTOH, isn't such a rare find. I have 3 different recordings, including one in the popular Naxos series (under Wit, coupled with Chain 2 and the Partita, as well as the 4th Symphony and Funeral Music).

I agree it's an absolutely wonderful piece. Lutoslawski as minimalist (rather in the style of Tomasz Sikorski).

By that last, you mean the Partita, Maciek? . . . a piece I don't know . . . .

Maciek

Well, I meant the Interlude, but actually the Partita (which isn't at all minimalistic) is probably my favorite Lutoslawski piece - don't know what it is about it that I like so much. It's very emotional and "romantic" (despite the title). The amazing thing about it is that it was originally conceived as a piece for violin and piano, but the version for violin and orchestra sounds as if it was never intended to be played by anything other than an orchestra. Wonderfully colorful.

My favorite recordings are by Jakowicz and Mutter.

(I've edited my previous post to remove the ambiguity.)

karlhenning

Well, only six minutes of minimalism can't be too bad ; )

Is that a dis-endorsement of the Naxos recording then, Maciek?