British Symphonists on CD: The Winners and the Losers

Started by Dundonnell, November 03, 2012, 05:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I posted this elsewhere a day ago and since some people said they found it useful ;D

BRITISH SYMPHONISTS ON CD: THE WINNERS AND THE LOSERS

THE WINNERS:

Sir Hubert Parry(1848-1918):        All 5 symphonies have been released by Chandos. There are also cd recordings of No.1(Nimbus), No.2(Naxos), No.3(Forlane)
                                                                          and No.5(EMI).

Sir Charles Villiers Stanford(1852-1924):   All 7 symphonies have been recorded by Chandos and by Naxos. No.3 has also been issued by EMI.

Sir Edward Elgar(1857-1934):         Both Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 have many recordings; No.3, as realised by Anthony Payne, has been released by NMC, Naxos, Chandos,
                                                                          LSO Live and Signum.

Sir Edward German(1862-1936):      Both of the symphonies have been recorded by Dutton. There is also a Marco Polo recording of No.2.

Sir Granville Bantock(1868-1946):    All 4 of Bantock's symphonies have been recorded:"Hebridean Symphony" by Naxos and Hyperion;"Pagan Symphony" on
                                                                      Carlton BBC Radio Classics and Hyperion; Hyperion has also released "The Cyprian Goddess" and the "Celtic
                                                                      Symphony".

Ralph Vaughan Williams(1872-1958): All 9 of the symphonies have been recorded many times.

Rutland Boughton(1878-1960): Of the 3 symphonies, No.1 is on a Dutton cd, Nos. 2 and 3 on Carlton BBC Radio Classics and  No. 3 also on a Hyperion cd.

Cyril Scott(1879-1971):           All 3 of the surviving symphonies(Nos. 1, 2, 4) have been  recorded by Chandos. (The original No.2 was lost and the material reused by Scott.)

Sir Arnold Bax(1883-1953):   All 7 symphonies have been released by Chandos-in two separate sets conducted by Bryden Thomson and by Vernon Handley- and by Naxos.
                                                           Lyrita have released Nos. 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7, Dutton No.2 and Classico No.6

York Bowen(1884-1961):   Of the 4 symphonies, Chandos have released Nos. 1 and 2. (No.3 is lost and No.4 was left incomplete.)

Cecil Armstrong Gibbs(1889-1960): Of the 3 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 3 have been released by Marco Polo and No.2 "Odysseus" by Dutton.

Sir Arthur Bliss(1891-1975):   "A Colour Symphony" has been released by Chandos (in versions conducted by Vernon Handley and Richard Hickox), by EMI, Nimbus,
                                                                  Naxos and Heritage.The Symphony "Morning Heroes" has been released by EMI and Cala.

Sir Eugene Goossens(1893-1962): Both of the symphonies have been released by ABC Classics and by Chandos.

Ernest J. Moeran(1894-1950): The Symphony in G has been released by Dutton, Lyrita, EMI, Chandos and Naxos and a realization of No.2 by Dutton.

Edmund Rubbra(1901-86):   All 11 symphonies have been recorded by Chandos conducted by Richard Hickox and also Nos. 5 and 10 by Hans-Hubert Schonzeler.  Lyrita
                                                               have released Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8, Carlton BBC Radio Classics No.4 and EMI No. 5.

Sir William Walton(1902-83): Both of the symphonies have been recorded many times.

Sir Lennox Berkeley(1903-89):All 4 symphonies have been released by Chandos. Lyrita have released Nos. 1, 2 and 3.

Sir Michael Tippett(1905-98): All 4 symphonies have been released by Decca and by Chandos. NMC have released Nos. 2 and 4, Carlton BBC Radio Classics No.3.

Alan Rawsthorne(1905-71):   All 3 symphonies have been released by both Lyrita and by Naxos.

William Alwyn(1905-85):   All 5 symphonies have been released by both Lyrita,Chandos and by Naxos. Dutton have released Nos. 1 and 2, Somm No.3.

Benjamin Frankel(1906-73):   All 7 symphonies have been released by CPO.

George Lloyd(1913-98):      All 12 symphonies have been released by Albany. Lyrita have released Nos. 4, 5 and 8.

Humphrey Searle(1915-82):   All 5 symphonies have been released by CPO.

Bernard Stevens(1916-83):   Both symphonies have been released by Meridian.

Richard Arnell(1917-2009):   All 7 symphonies have been released by Dutton(No.7 in a realization). Con Brio have released Nos. 4 and 5.

Geoffrey Bush(1920-98):        Both symphonies have been released by Lyrita.

Robert Simpson(1921-97):   All 11 symphonies have been released by Hyperion.EMI have released No.1 and NMC No.3

Sir Malcolm Arnold(1921-2006): All 9 symphonies have been released by Decca, Chandos and by Naxos. There are also cds of No. 1 (EMI), No.2 (EMI-Arnold and Sir Charles
                                                              Groves-and RLPO Live), No.3 (Everest), No.4 (Lyrita), No.5 (EMI and Classico) and No.6(LPO).

Kenneth Leighton(1929-88):   All 3 symphonies have been released by Chandos.

William Mathias(1934-92):   All 3 symphonies have been released by Nimbus. Lyrita have released No.1.

David Matthews(1943-):   All 7 symphonies have been recorded: Nos. 1-3 and 5-7 by Dutton(No.7 has still to be released). NMC have released No.4

Oliver Knussen(1952-)      Of the 3 symphonies, Nos. 2 and 3 have been released by NMC and No.3 by RPO. No.1 has been withdrawn.

James MacMillan(1959-):   All 3 symphonies have been recorded: Nos. 1 and 2 by Bis and No.3 by Chandos.

THE RUNNERS-UP:

Havergal Brian(1876-1972):   Of the 32 symphonies, Naxos have released Nos. 1, 2, 4, 11, 12, 15, 17, 18, 20, 25 and 32. (Naxos have recorded Nos. 22, 23 and 24 for future
                                                           release). Hyperion have released Nos. 1 and 3, Testament No.1, Lyrita Nos. 6 and 16, EMI Nos. 7, 8, 9 and 31, Dutton Nos. 9, 10,
                                                          11, 13 and 30. Klassic Haus has released remastered copies of Nos. 8, 10, 14, 21, 22 and 28. Nos. 5 "Wine of Summer", 14, 19, 26, 27, 28 and
                                                          29 await commercial recordings

Edgar Bainton(1880-1956):   Of the 3 extant symphonies, No.2 has been released by Chandos and No.3 by Dutton. Only "Genesis" fromSymphony No.1 "Before Sunrise" has
                                                               been recorded (by Classico).

Gordon Jacob(1895-1974):   The 2 numbered symphonies have been released by Lyrita. Classico have released No.2 and the Little Symphony. (There is an unrecorded
                                                               Sinfonia Brevis, Symphony for Strings and two symphonies for brass band.)

Alan Bush(1900-95):           Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 2 have been released by Classico and No.4 by Dutton. No.3 "Byron Symphony" remains unrecorded.

John Gardner(1917-2011):   Of the 3 symphonies, No.1 has been released by Naxos and No.3 by ASV. No.2 remains unrecorded.

Alexander Goehr(1932-):   The Symphony in One Movement has been released by NMC and the Little Symphony by both Lyrita and NMC. (NMC have also released the
                                                             Sinfonia for Chamber Orchestra.) There is an unrecorded Symphony with Chaconne.

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies(1934-): Of the 9 symphonies, Naxos have re-released Nos. 1-6. Universal have released No.1. Nos. 7, 8 "Antarctic" and 9 await commercial
                                                               recordings.

MIDDLE OF THE PACK:

Sir Frederic H. Cowen(1852-1935):   Of the 4 extant symphonies, No.3 has been released by Marco Polo and No.6 by Classico. Nos. 4 "Welsh" and 5 remain unrecorded.
                                                                    (Nos. 1 and 2 are lost.)

Cyril Rootham(1875-1938):   Of the 2 symphonies, No.1 has been released by Lyrita. No.2 "Revelation" remains unrecorded.

Erik Chisholm(1904-65):     Of the 2 symphonies, No.2 has been released by Dutton.

Grace Williams(1907-77):       Of the 2 symphonies, No.2 has been released by Lyrita.

Robert Still(1910-71):           Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 3 and 4 have been released by Lyrita. Nos. 1 and 2 remain unrecorded.

Stanley Bate(1911-59):      Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 3 and 4 have been released by Dutton. Nos. 1 and 2 remain unrecorded.

Patric Standford(1939-):   Of the 5 symphonies, No.1 has been recorded by the British Music Society and No. 2 by Naxos.

THE LOSERS:

Group 1-

Sir Henry Walford Davies(1859-1941):   The Symphony in D, the Symphony in G and the Children's Symphony for small orchestra have not been recorded.   

Joseph Holbrooke(1878-1958): Only one of the 10 symphonies has been recorded-No.4 by Dutton.

Arnold Cooke(1906-2005):   Of the 6 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 3 have been released by Lyrita. Nos. 2, 4, 5 and 6 remain unrecorded.

Dame Elizabeth Maconchy(1907-94): Although the Symphony for Double String Orchestra has been released by Lyrita and by Lorelt, there are no recordings of the
                                                                          (withdrawn) Symphony or the Little Symphony.

William Wordsworth(1908-88): Of the 8 symphonies, only Nos. 3 and 4 have been released(Lyrita).

Robin Orr(1909-2006):      Of the 3 symphonies, only No.1  has been recorded(EMI).

Daniel Jones(1912-93):      Of the 13 symphonies, Nos. 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 have been released by Lyrita.

Peter Racine Fricker(1920-90): Of the 6 symphonies, only No.2 has been recorded(EMI). (There is also an unrecorded Sinfonia in memoriam Benjamin Britten.)

Ruth Gipps(1921-99):      Of the 6 symphonies, only No. 2 has been recorded (Classico).

Iain Hamilton(1922-2000):   None of the 4 numbered symphonies have been issued on cd( nor the Sinfonia for Two Orchestras).

John Veale(1922-2006):        None of the 3 numbered symphonies have been commercially recorded.

Arthur Butterworth(1923-):   Of the 7 numbered symphonies, Nos. 1, 4 and 5 have been released by Dutton and No.1 by Classico. Nos. 2, 3, 6, 7 and the choral Moorland
                                                             Symphony await commercial recordings.

Anthony Milner(1925-2002):   Of the 3 numbered symphonies, only No.1 has been released(Claudio). (There are also an unrecorded Chamber Symphony and the Sinfonia
                                                             Pasquale.)

Wilfred Josephs(1927-97):   None of the 12 symphonies has been released on cd.

Graham Whettam(1927-2007): Of the 5 orchestral symphonies, the Sinfonia Contra Timore and the Sinfonia Intrepida have been released by Redcliffe. The Sinfonia
                                                            Drammatica, the Sinfonia Prometeica and the Symphony No.5 are unrecorded.

Thomas Wilson(1927-2001):   None of the 5 numbered symphonies has been commercially recorded.

Alun Hoddinott(1929-2008):   Of the 10 numbered symphonies, Nos. 2, 3 and 5 have been released by Lyrita and No.6 by Chandos.   

Malcolm Lipkin(1932-):      None of the 3 symphonies has been commercially recorded.

Sir Richard Rodney Bennett(1936-):    Of the 3 numbered symphonies, only No.3 has been released on cd(Koch)

Gordon Crosse(1937-):      Neither of the 2 numbered symphonies has been commercially recorded.

John McCabe(1939-):      Of the 7 numbered symphonies, No. 2 has been released by EMI and No. 4 by Hyperion. (Dutton have released a Six-Minute Symphony.)

Group 2-

David Wynne(1900-83):      3 numbered completed symphonies.

Richard Hall(1903-82):      4 numbered symphonies (may only be 3 extant).

Christian Darnton(1905-81):   3 extant numbered symphonies (and a fourth-No.2-lost)

Ian Parrott(1916-2012):   5 numbered symphonies.

Denis ApIvor(1916-2004):   5 numbered symphonies.

Anthony Hedges(1931-):   2 numbered symphonies

David Ellis(1933-):      3 numbered symphonies

Christopher Steel(1938-91):   6 numbered symphonies and No.7 unfinished.

Derek Bourgeois(1941-):   76 numbered symphonies, of which Nos. 4, 6 and 8 have been released in arrangements for wind band by Hafabra Music.

THE OTHERS:

Benjamin Britten wrote a Simple Symphony, the choral Spring Symphony, the Symphony for Cello and Orchestra and the Sinfonia da Requiem. All have multiple recordings.

Composers of only one symphony(whether for full orchestra or a choral symphony) would include Sir Arthur Sullivan, William Wallace, Sir Arthur Somervell, Sir John B. McEwen, Gustav Holst, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Sir Donald Tovey, Thomas Dunhill, John Foulds (lost), Sir George Dyson, Arwel Hughes, Ronald Stevenson and Hugh Wood.

Composers who did not write any symphonies include Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Dame Ethel Smyth, Frederick Delius, Hamish MacCunn, Frank Bridge, John Ireland, Julius Harrison, Herbert Howells, Maurice Jacobson, Patrick Hadley, Gerald Finzi, Thomas B. Pitfield, Constant Lambert, Matyas Seiber, Franz Reizenstein and Nicholas Maw(there is Sinfonia for Small Orchestra). Gerard Schurmann and Sir John Tavener have not, to date, written a symphony.

Dundonnell

Havergal Brian fans will note that-at least on cd-the old boy easily makes it into the Runners-Up enclosure :D :D

springrite

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 03, 2012, 05:32:14 AM
Havergal Brian fans will note that-at least on cd-the old boy easily makes it into the Runners-Up enclosure :D :D

In terms of total number of symphonies that have been released on CD, I believe Brian is leading!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 03, 2012, 05:32:14 AM

It's even better than your list would indicate because CDs of 14 and 28 are available from Klassic Haus. Neither is ideal (in terms of sound and/or performance) but much better than nothing.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 03, 2012, 06:03:25 AM
It's even better than your list would indicate because CDs of 14 and 28 are available from Klassic Haus. Neither is ideal (in terms of sound and/or performance) but much better than nothing.

Sarge

True enough :) I shall add before John gets too upset ;D ;D

snyprrr

That's a lot of Composers' hard work that most likely will NEVER see the light of day. A LOT!! aye aye

Dundonnell

calyptorhynchus

Well, off to order a few CDs (from sections other than winners), to stimulate demand.  :D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Dundonnell

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 03, 2012, 01:10:40 PM
Well, off to order a few CDs (from sections other than winners), to stimulate demand.  :D

Excellent ;D

some guy

I'd add Frank Corcoran.

Dunno where he'd go in your categories. Marco Polo (and hence Naxos) has put out a CD of his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th symphonies.

Middle of the pack, maybe?

vandermolen

Apparently Robin Milford wrote a Symphony which Vaughan Williams admired. I love the Hyperion CD of Milford's music and wish that the Symphony was recorded. I fear that Milford may have withdrawn it. Ruth Gipps Symphony 4 and Rootham's No 2 cry out for release and I'd love to hear what Wilfred Josephs's symphonies sound like.

Very helpful list Colin.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

There are some symphonies by Wilfred Josephs available for download at the AMF,if you don't already know about them,Vandermolen!

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2012, 10:08:14 AM
Apparently Robin Milford wrote a Symphony which Vaughan Williams admired. I love the Hyperion CD of Milford's music and wish that the Symphony was recorded. I fear that Milford may have withdrawn it. Ruth Gipps Symphony 4 and Rootham's No 2 cry out for release and I'd love to hear what Wilfred Josephs's symphonies sound like.

Very helpful list Colin.

There are downloadable versions of Wilfred Josephs Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 5 and 7, the Cello Concerto and the big Requiem of 1962-63 :)

cilgwyn

Thank you,Dundonnell! Sadly my reply to you,regarding 'British Symphonists: Winners & Losers,got derailed by my apparent enthusiasm for Holbrooke! :( ;D Calum MacDonald,in his very incisive  review of the Dutton cd (Symphony No4,etc IRR Mag Dec 2010) probably gets very near the mark in identifying one of the main problems with Holbrooke's music;but I can't lie to myself! At his best,I DO quite like what I hear. He's got 'something'! ;D Which is more than I can say for a certain other neglected composer,who simply bores the socks off me!!! You know the one!!! ;D
Having said that,knowing that you are not quite as enthusiastic as I am about JH,I must say,I'm more than a little suprised that you should have chosen to put him in Group 1!! I mean, you're beloved :) Fricker & Hamilton are there!! ::)

Dundonnell

I think that it would be fair to say that I remain to be convinced about Holbrooke.....but the opportunity to hear one of the big symphonies(say No.2 "Apollo and the Seaman" or No.3 "Ships") might make all the difference :)

As for Fricker and Hamilton ;D.....oh I couldn't call them "beloved" ::) Neither wrote "easy" music although Hamilton returned to writing diatonic music towards the end of his life in an attempt to make it more accessible/acceptable(it didn't :()

I admire both composers: partly because they continued writing in the traditional forms and also because I can respect their seriousness of purpose....but theirs is not music which can be listened to without fierce concentration. I am also somewhat ashamed, I suppose, that musical fashion should have dealt them such an unkind hand. In the 1950s and early 1960s they were both regarded as composers at the cutting-edge of British music yet within 20 years their music had-as I have said before-fallen into an abyss between, on the one hand, much more avant-garde musical forms and on the other, the rediscovered interest in the "romantic", either through the revival of interest in late 19th and early 20th century composers or the neo-romantic composers of more recent times.

Fricker and Hamilton are now in limbo. Unless CPO suddenly decides to take them up then they have no chance. I cannot see Dutton ever recording them (it would be a very hard sell).  Yet.........Chandos have produced a Lutoslawski series and neither F. nor H. is any more "difficult" than the Pole ::)

Dundonnell

........HOWEVER, IF you want to try any of the later Hamilton, then have a listen to his gorgeously beautiful and light-footed Symphony No.3 "Spring(!979-80) :)

cilgwyn

Is it available at the AMF?
I've just made a cdr of William Wordsworth's Fourth & Fifth! I'm liking what I'm hearing. I wonder how old the recordings are,though? Are they one of the ex occupiers of you're attic,I wonder?!! ;D

Dundonnell

cilgwyn

Must say it's getting a bit like the old football results!

Peter Racine Fricker.... Division 1!
David Wynne....           Division 2!...   

All it needs is Dickie Davies!! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato