Good news for Yevgeny Sudbin fans

Started by Brian, October 25, 2008, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The extraordinary young Russian pianist will continue to make beautiful music for BIS:
QuoteFollowing his recent debut at the BBC Proms – described as 'sublime' in the Daily Telegraph (UK) – Yevgeny Sudbin took the opportunity to prolong his exclusive contract with BIS. He will record 14 discs over the coming seven years. The Sudbin-BIS collaboration has so far resulted in three hugely-acclaimed solo recitals with works by Scarlatti, Rachmaninov and Scriabin, as well as a concerto disc which combines the first works in the genre by Tchaikovsky and Nikolai Medtner. On the strength of these, and his many live appearances, he has already been hailed as 'potentially one of the greatest pianists of the 21st century'. The next title, a coupling of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.4 in its original version and Medtner's Piano Concerto No.2, will be released in Spring 2009.
http://www.bis.se/bis_pages/bis_news.php

Bulldog

Quote from: Brian on October 25, 2008, 01:42:15 PM
The extraordinary young Russian pianist will continue to make beautiful music for BIS:http://www.bis.se/bis_pages/bis_news.php

That's great news.  I love his four existing discs, especially the Scarlatti.

bassio

Great to see him producing more, I haven't heard news about him having new releases since I interviewed him.  :)

Although I hoped he would have played some non-Russian repertoire for the time being; He already released a Scriabin and a Tchaikovsky. I would love to hear him in German repertoire. I think he might be one of those "broad-scope" pianists who can play almost any kind of repertoire exceptionally well.

Wanderer

The extraordinary young Russian pianist will continue to make beautiful music for BIS.
'...The next title, a coupling of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.4 in its original version and Medtner's Piano Concerto No.2, will be released in Spring 2009".

Well, if you followed the Medtner thread you'd know that already!  ;)

Quote from: bassio on October 27, 2008, 09:31:20 AM
Although I hoped he would have played some non-Russian repertoire for the time being; He already released a Scriabin and a Tchaikovsky. I would love to hear him in German repertoire. I think he might be one of those "broad-scope" pianists who can play almost any kind of repertoire exceptionally well.

I think it's admirable he goes off the beaten path to record Medtner, a composer he obviously loves and whose idiom he seems to "get" perfectly. We do need more recordings of his music.

I agree with your "broad-scope" comment; there are recordings available (e.g. an absolutely breathtaking Bach concerto or Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit) on his official website that show he's capable of great things. I'm sure commercial recordings of standard repertoire are to follow but hopefully not at the expense of his more esoteric musical instincts.

Wanderer

Quote from: bassio on October 27, 2008, 09:31:20 AM
I haven't heard news about him having new releases since I interviewed him.  :)

What interview is this? Would it be possible to provide a transcript here or a link to its location?

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on October 27, 2008, 11:54:37 AM
What interview is this? Would it be possible to provide a transcript here or a link to its location?
http://www.allaboutclassical.com/essay/296/interview_yevgeny_sudbin_talks_allaboutclassical

Some interesting bits:
QuoteOne thing that I noticed happens frequently is that I don't necessarily pick repertoire that is very natural to me but rather that poses a challenge and often requires adaptation on my part to suit the piece (rather than picking a piece that suits me). I think it's because I don't really want to feel restricted or end up playing only repertoire that is second nature to me (if there is such a thing). Also, it is quite hard to look at yourself objectively and know exactly in advance what kind of repertoire will suit you. Often, I think performers (myself included) have mental images of themselves of what they are like (or more likely, of what they wish they were like) and it doesn't always correspond with reality. ... The only thought that I had in mind was that I wanted to record as varied projects as possible to keep myself intellectually occupied. The composers that followed the Scarlatti album (Rachmaninov, Medtner, Tchaikovsky, Scriabin etc) are all entirely different in styles despite the fact that they are all Russian! ... I am planning to record some Haydn, Beethoven, more Medtner, Chopin and possibly Janáček at some point. Basically, whatever happens to catch my attention.

And, indeed, he will be releasing Beethoven's complete piano concertos with Osmo Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra - I believe the first volume has already been recorded. The thought of hearing him in Chopin has me dying with anticipation...

ragman1970

The extraordinary young Russian pianist will continue to make beautiful music for BIS:http://www.bis.se/bis_pages/bis_news.php

So OLD this News!