GMG Wishlist: OOP or rare recordings you want reissued

Started by Mark, July 11, 2007, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

Quote from: Drasko on April 12, 2008, 10:20:26 AM
It's readily available from Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Shostakovich-Symphonies-Barshai-Wdr-Sinfonieorchester/dp/B00005UW2B

Read somewhere that Brilliant is changing distributors for UK and that being reason for current unavailability of many of their releases from uk vendors. Not 100 % sure on this, though.

Quote from: erato on April 12, 2008, 10:27:35 AM
The Brilliant offer on mdt DID terminate rather abruptly "Due to circumstances beyond our control" to quote the site.

hmmm...and the plot thickens   $:) !......What is really going on here I am not sure, maybe it is a British thing??, maybe not?   ???  All I can say is I went ahead and bought the Jansons set instead and am very happy with it!!  I really do hope that there is no problem with the Brilliant label in general as far as distribution in the UK is concerned.  I'd really hate to loose the option of having them compete for my money (ie future purchases). 

marvin

Que

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 12, 2008, 02:32:06 PM
I really do hope that there is no problem with the Brilliant label in general as far as distribution in the UK is concerned.  I'd really hate to loose the option of having them compete for my money (ie future purchases). 

marvin

Shouldn't be any problem, marvin.
You could order at jpc, who carry the entire Brilliant catalogue at good prices and they deliver to the UK at a flat rate per order of €6.

Q

marvinbrown

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2008, 10:12:23 PM
Shouldn't be any problem, marvin.
You could order at jpc, who carry the entire Brilliant catalogue at good prices and they deliver to the UK at a flat rate per order of €6.

Q

Thanks for the link Que  :).  I usually do 90% of my CD/DVD purchases from the internet, so JPC should come in handy!!

marvin

Drasko

If anyone runs across this one at some decent price please let me know (lowest price tag I could find is 25 euros used at amazon.de).

Brian

Constance Keene playing Chopin. It's so out of print, I can't even remember what she plays (and have never found it anywhere on the internet, except, oddly, a bunch of illegal torrent sites I don't know how to use).

Renfield

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2008, 02:45:48 PM
Constance Keene playing Chopin. It's so out of print, I can't even remember what she plays

Hopefully not Liszt, or Scarlatti? :P

What's so special about it, pray tell? :)

Brian

Quote from: Renfield on June 19, 2008, 02:50:55 PM
Hopefully not Liszt, or Scarlatti? :P

What's so special about it, pray tell? :)
I think it's the Etudes. J Scott Morrison is the lead voice in a chorus of praise for the disc; apparently she's just the most wondrous interpreter of the music he's ever heard.

Oh, and I just remembered what's on the CD. It's the Preludes...

...by Rachmaninov  ;D

Brian

Incidentally, Constance Keene served as piano teacher to Artur Rubinstein's children, because he said he had never heard anyone (even Rachmaninov) who played as beautifully as she. Amazon now has a used copy of her Rachmaninov disc for $90.

M forever

It's Rachmaninoff  ::)

Quote from: Drasko on June 19, 2008, 02:11:40 PM

If anyone runs across this one at some decent price please let me know (lowest price tag I could find is 25 euros used at amazon.de).

I have that. It may be a while before I find it, but I will let you know when I do. Pretty good CD but not so mega-essential though. There was something else that Ashkenazy recorded in St.P. I think it was DSCH7. Whatever it is, I have it, too!

Maciek

Please stand by while I split this discussion into a separate topic. $:)

Drasko

Quote from: M forever on June 19, 2008, 06:15:57 PM
I have that. It may be a while before I find it, but I will let you know when I do. Pretty good CD but not so mega-essential though. There was something else that Ashkenazy recorded in St.P. I think it was DSCH7. Whatever it is, I have it, too!

That would be nice, thanks. Probably not mega-essential for Firebird but there are so few recordings of Symphony in E-flat and even less in print.
Ashkenazy recorded Shostakovich's 7th and 11th in St.Petersburg, haven't heard neither but am curious about 11th in particular since he delivers what I think is possibly fastest adagio ever. I like adagio at brisker pace, but that is very fast at around nine and a half minutes (according to decca website tracklisting)

Tsaraslondon

Cesare Valletti once recorded a disc of Duparc and Faure, which, as far as I know, has never been reissued on LP or CD. I would love to hear it. It is highly praised in Alan Blyth's Song on Record 2. I don't suppose anyone has it?

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Drasko

Quote from: Mark on July 11, 2007, 04:30:53 PM
Please, Melodiya, if you're reading this, reissue that Sveshnikov/USSR State Choir Rachmaninov All-night Vigil. The transfer I have is almost certainly a fake, so I'd love to hear the original. Thank you. :)

If anyone is in contact with Mark do tell him that his white whale has surfaced. Melodiya has just released Sveshnikov's recording of Rachmaninov All-Night-Vigil. Now it's just matter of time when it'll show up at mdt, amazon or wherever.

http://www.melody.su/eng/work/catalog/classic/566/567/568

btw the transfer he mentions as almost certainly a fake isn't, it's perfectly legit licensed from Melodiya to certain Russian monastery who did the release.

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on July 13, 2008, 04:35:06 AM
If anyone is in contact with Mark do tell him that his white whale has surfaced. Melodiya has just released Sveshnikov's recording of Rachmaninov All-Night-Vigil. Now it's just matter of time when it'll show up at mdt, amazon or wherever.

http://www.melody.su/eng/work/catalog/classic/566/567/568

btw the transfer he mentions as almost certainly a fake isn't, it's perfectly legit licensed from Melodiya to certain Russian monastery who did the release.

thanks. I might buy that. Haven't heard the piece before. I like the simple cover art. Would make a good coaster (seriously).

edit: they spelled his name wrong  ::)

Don

Quote from: ezodisy on July 13, 2008, 10:14:13 AM
thanks. I might buy that. Haven't heard the piece before. I like the simple cover art. Would make a good coaster (seriously).

edit: they spelled his name wrong  ::)

In that case, the disc is totally unacceptable - content means nothing compared to formalities. :D

Sorin Eushayson

My concerns in this department are much more conservative than most:

-Beethoven: Triple Concerto & Piano Concerto No. 4 by Paul Badura-Skoda and the Collegium Aureum
-Beethoven: Christus am Ölberge by Christoph Spering, Das Neue Orchester, and the Chorus Musicus
-Beethoven (again): Symphony No. 3 by Jordi Savall and Le Concert des Nations

Also wish more people would record Handel's Joseph and His Brethren...

PerfectWagnerite

I just need Sinopoli's DG Bruckner 9th to complete this composer/conductor/label partnership. Maybe I'll run into it one of these days at the second-hand shop.

M forever

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: M forever on July 17, 2008, 09:10:53 PM
Or here:

http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-9/dp/B000023Y1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216357544&sr=8-1

Do you also have the (unpublished) live recording of the 6th with the Philharmonia?
I tried that already but neither seller ships to the US >:(

No I don't have the Philharmonia 6th.