GMG Wishlist: OOP or rare recordings you want reissued

Started by Mark, July 11, 2007, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on February 15, 2008, 05:30:39 PM

The EMI recording of Riders to the Sea. I want it, I want it, I want it! But i've learnt my lesson paying big bucks for cds (i'm looking at you, Decca).
I have this disc, but EMI should do a Vaughan Williams box like the 30 CD Elgar Collectors Edition.

Generally arkivmusic is full of stuff I want, but I balk at paying 15 USD for a nondocumented CDR.

Grazioso

Quote from: erato on February 16, 2008, 04:28:39 AM
I have this disc, but EMI should do a Vaughan Williams box like the 30 CD Elgar Collectors Edition.

Generally arkivmusic is full of stuff I want, but I balk at paying 15 USD for a nondocumented CDR.

Ditto on both counts.

I don't know if they've ever been recorded by I'd sure like to find Vitezslav Novak's symphonies on disc. He's woefully under-recorded in general.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

rubio

2 items of the Rachmaninov Vespers by Sveshnikov available here:

I ordered my copy from this seller earlier, and I am satisfied with the transaction and above all the CD itself.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Sergeant Rock

I'd like to see the Herrmann cantata and opera on CD:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Benji

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2008, 02:48:49 AM
I'd like to see the Herrmann cantata and opera on CD:

Sarge

It is on CD, Sarge. I was lucky to find my copy brand new for a steal a few years back. A quick look at the various amazons reveal nothing sorry, but it is definitely out there, on a Unicorn cd coupled with For the Fallen.

The new erato

Haven't Unicorn been defunct as a label for several years?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on February 22, 2008, 02:39:45 PM
It is on CD, Sarge.... A quick look at the various amazons reveal nothing sorry...

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Then I missed it. I'll just have to hope it shows up used somewhere, and at a reasonable price (yeah, as if...)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: erato on February 16, 2008, 04:28:39 AM

Which is exactly what they have done!!!!

Benji

Quote from: erato on March 04, 2008, 09:27:13 AM
Which is exactly what they have done!!!!

Wonderful! That's very exciting news, definitely worth will duplicating at least 1/3 of the set.  :)

Oh, and seriously EMI, that cover art! Vaughan Williams looking over a gate... I hope their tongue is firmly in-cheek!  :P

Lethevich

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on March 15, 2008, 06:02:52 AM
Wonderful! That's very exciting news, definitely worth will duplicating at least 1/3 of the set.  :)

Oh, and seriously EMI, that cover art! Vaughan Williams looking over a gate... I hope their tongue is firmly in-cheek!  :P

;D ;D ;D I didn't notice the connection until you pointed it out! :D

I am also buying this the SECOND it hits the shops.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

dirkronk

In posting on the Brahms Chamber thread, I was reminded that the Hollywood String Quartet recordings have drifted out of availability again, and the Testament CDs--especially of their Brahms piano quartets w/ Aller and the Beethoven late quartets--are going for rather silly prices on Amazon.

Maybe someone should drop a hint into the ears of the folks at Brilliant, who seem to be accessing some rather nice older performances from EMI and Melodiya for budget release boxes.

Hmmm...

Dirk

marvinbrown

It has come to my attention that the following GREAT recordings are now OOP  >:( >:(.  Somebody give me a broomstick as I believe a few managers at those record companies deserve...I better not continue for fear of being arrested for assault  $:):

>:(

marvin

Marc

Are you sure about Shostakovich/Barshai?

http://www.amazon.com/Dmitry-Shostakovich-Complete-Symphonies-Orchestra/dp/B000067F6C

Still in the Brilliant Catalogue, too:

http://records.joanrecords.com/epages/joan.storefront/47ff40100017b5ec271ed5d385f406c9/Product/View/6324

P.S.: Please note the Joan Records site is for business-to-business only. But I think it proves that this box-set is still in print.

Renfield

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 11, 2008, 01:56:24 AM

I bought this two weeks ago: www.amazon.de ;)

And that Vaughan-Williams box looks sexy indeed! Well, not Ralph himself, obviously. ;D

marvinbrown

Quote from: Marc on April 11, 2008, 02:49:17 AM
Are you sure about Shostakovich/Barshai?

http://www.amazon.com/Dmitry-Shostakovich-Complete-Symphonies-Orchestra/dp/B000067F6C

Still in the Brilliant Catalogue, too:

http://records.joanrecords.com/epages/joan.storefront/47ff40100017b5ec271ed5d385f406c9/Product/View/6324

P.S.: Please note the Joan Records site is for business-to-business only. But I think it proves that this box-set is still in print.

Yes the Barshai Shostakovich just (only recently  :o) went OOP.  Whatever versions are out there are for the taking. amazon.co.uk lists that item as currently unavailable.  I checked with record store HMV, Zavvi and they tell me that it has just gone OOP- discontinued.   

marvin

Papy Oli

The Barshai boxset is still listed at JPC at € 19.99 albeit with the comment  "deliverable within a week (if available from supplier)".
Olivier

flyingdutchman

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 11, 2008, 03:47:57 AM
  Yes the Barshai Shostakovich just (only recently  :o) went OOP.  Whatever versions are out there are for the taking. amazon.co.uk lists that item as currently unavailable.  I checked with record store HMV, Zavvi and they tell me that it has just gone OOP- discontinued.   

marvin

It's become part of a bigger box set.

Drasko

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 11, 2008, 03:47:57 AM
  Yes the Barshai Shostakovich just (only recently  :o) went OOP.  Whatever versions are out there are for the taking. amazon.co.uk lists that item as currently unavailable.  I checked with record store HMV, Zavvi and they tell me that it has just gone OOP- discontinued.   

marvin

It's readily available from Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Shostakovich-Symphonies-Barshai-Wdr-Sinfonieorchester/dp/B00005UW2B

Read somewhere that Brilliant is changing distributors for UK and that being reason for current unavailability of many of their releases from uk vendors. Not 100 % sure on this, though.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The new erato

Quote from: Drasko on April 12, 2008, 10:20:26 AM
It's readily available from Germany:
http://www.amazon.de/Shostakovich-Symphonies-Barshai-Wdr-Sinfonieorchester/dp/B00005UW2B

Read somewhere that Brilliant is changing distributors for UK and that being reason for current unavailability of many of their releases from uk vendors. Not 100 % sure on this, though.
The Brilliant offer on mdt DID terminate rather abruptly "Due to circumstances beyond our control" to quote the site.