GMG Wishlist: OOP or rare recordings you want reissued

Started by Mark, July 11, 2007, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

I've got a list somewhere on my computer, but meanwhile off the top of my head these come to mind:

Hogwood's recording of Haydn's The Creation in English. 

Wyn Morris's Mahler 9th

Janos Starker playing Bach's Suites for Solo Cello, volume 1 (Suites 1,2,3) Sefel Label.   I had that and it was removed from my home by some one visiting (and I don't even have a suspicion of who did it).  I still have Volume 2 and the empty Vol. 1 jewel box. >:(

Andreas Staier's recording of the Schubert piano sonatas D. 958,959 and 960.  The 958 and 959 were re-released on the Elatus imprint, but the 960 is in OOP limbo. :(

Hogwood's incomplete Haydn symphonies cycle.  I keep picking up bits and pieces of that as they come on the market.

bhodges

I wish DG would release its Avant Garde series of LPs in a similar CD format, reproducing the original artwork.  (They originally appeared in the 1960s, if I recall.)  Some of the material has made it to CD elsewhere, but not all (I could be mistaken), and it would be nice to have some of the more obscure works.  Here is one that I particularly liked, with works for chorus:

David Bedford: Two Poems for Chorus
György Ligeti: Lux aeterna
Arne Mellnäs: Succsism
Marek Kopelent: Matka

OK, OK...so I love the covers!

--Bruce

Mark

Quote from: Bunny on July 12, 2007, 01:35:51 PM
Hogwood's incomplete Haydn symphonies cycle.  I keep picking up bits and pieces of that as they come on the market.

Anyone know why he didn't finish this? I think I have his 76 and 77 somewhere.

E d o

Gillesberger's reading of Bach's St. John Passion on Teldec which was somewhat controversially attributed to Harnoncourt.

Bunny

Quote from: Mark on July 12, 2007, 02:07:54 PM
Anyone know why he didn't finish this? I think I have his 76 and 77 somewhere.

Sorry, I have no idea what killed the project.  Perhaps Decca (L'Oiseau Lyre) pulled the plug the same way DG did on Gardiner's Cantatas?  I know Hogwood is no longer associated with the AAM, and records for different labels now.

Bogey

Quote from: Bunny on July 12, 2007, 01:35:51 PM
I've got a list somewhere on my computer, but meanwhile off the top of my head these come to mind:

Hogwood's recording of Haydn's The Creation in English. 

Wyn Morris's Mahler 9th

Janos Starker playing Bach's Suites for Solo Cello, volume 1 (Suites 1,2,3) Sefel Label.   I had that and it was removed from my home by some one visiting (and I don't even have a suspicion of who did it).  I still have Volume 2 and the empty Vol. 1 jewel box. >:(

Andreas Staier's recording of the Schubert piano sonatas D. 958,959 and 960.  The 958 and 959 were re-released on the Elatus imprint, but the 960 is in OOP limbo. :(

Quote from: Bunny on July 13, 2007, 06:07:02 AM
Sorry, I have no idea what killed the project.  Perhaps Decca (L'Oiseau Lyre) pulled the plug the same way DG did on Gardiner's Cantatas?  I know Hogwood is no longer associated with the AAM, and records for different labels now.

FWIW, I emailed the powers that be with this question last summer.....here was the respnse:

Dear Bill,

Decca have not informed us of any plans to re-release or finish these discs. As you suggest it would be lovely to be able to complete the set. At this stage in a volatile recording market it is not viable for Decca to do so but we hope, as you do, that it may be a future possibility.

Regards,
Laura Milner
Administrator AAM
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PSmith08

Quote from: bhodges on July 12, 2007, 02:02:20 PM
I wish DG would release its Avant Garde series of LPs in a similar CD format, reproducing the original artwork.  (They originally appeared in the 1960s, if I recall.)  Some of the material has made it to CD elsewhere, but not all (I could be mistaken), and it would be nice to have some of the more obscure works.  Here is one that I particularly liked, with works for chorus:

David Bedford: Two Poems for Chorus
György Ligeti: Lux aeterna
Arne Mellnäs: Succsism
Marek Kopelent: Matka

OK, OK...so I love the covers!

--Bruce

I think that only the Ligeti Lux aeterna has received any real support from DGG, with its inclusion in the Clear or Cloudy box set. It's a fine performance, and - ultimately - a great box set (not too expensive, either); still, that looks like it would be a nice re-release.

As for me, I would like to see Harnoncourt's recording of Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln re-released in the States. I think, though, I am not sure, that it's still in print elsewhere.

Dohnányi's Wagner recordings in Cleveland on Decca wouldn't hurt, either. They re-released Haitink, Barenboim, Boulez, and Böhm: a couple more sets couldn't hurt.

Todd

Quote from: dirkronk on July 12, 2007, 05:36:59 AMAnything and everything done by the Beethoven String Quartet of Moscow.

Well,

Doremi has reissued the complete cycle in aything but shrill sound.  In fact, they went the other way, doing a bit too much high frequency filtering, but overall the sound is acceptable.  The performances are far, far more than that.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

sidoze

It would be nice to see M&A or Pristine Audio rerelease Richter's Leipzig recital containing the last 3 Beethoven sonatas.

A reverb-less transfer of Maryla Jonas's Chopin Mazurkas would also be wonderful (*mutters something about hell and cold temperatures*).

Ah okay, I recall one thing that I *really* would like to hear on CD: Fiorentino's Chopin. There's a huge chunk of recordings from the '50s and '60s which have never appeared (except for the complete Nocturnes, OOP naturally).

Any other recordings by Feinberg, Ginzburg and Yakov Fliere would be very welcome too.

dirkronk

Quote from: sidoze on July 13, 2007, 07:42:24 AM
Ah okay, I recall one thing that I *really* would like to hear on CD: Fiorentino's Chopin. There's a huge chunk of recordings from the '50s and '60s which have never appeared (except for the complete Nocturnes, OOP naturally).

Any other recordings by Feinberg, Ginzburg and Yakov Fliere would be very welcome too.

Amen to all that.

M forever

Quote from: PSmith08 on July 13, 2007, 06:39:16 AM
Dohnányi's Wagner recordings in Cleveland on Decca wouldn't hurt, either.

Do you mean Das Rheingold and Die Walküre from the aborted Decca cycle?

Bogey

All of Pearl's catalogue that is OOP....not that I would buy all of these cds, but I do wish I had the option to easily purchase the ones that I want when I want.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

PSmith08

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 08:50:31 AM
Do you mean Das Rheingold and Die Walküre from the aborted Decca cycle?

Yeah. The casts don't look particularly special, but that could just be my unfamiliarity with some of the singers, but getting Cleveland and Dohnányi in modern(ish) digital would be nice.

M forever

I have those! It took me an eternity to find them, but now I have them.

Yeeeeaaaaahhh!

PSmith08

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 09:06:14 AM
I have those! It took me an eternity to find them, but now I have them.

Yeeeeaaaaahhh!

Sweet!

I'm kind of hoping that the UMG reissue mania will bring them around, just like EMI's mid-price reissue of the Haitink Ring, but I'm not holding my breath. There's also a weird choice, from what I read (I obviously don't know), with Peter Schreier as Mime - instead of Loge. Ah, well, there's always Janowski for that.

M forever

I have that, too. Actually, I have that 3 times because I simply couldn't resist when it was on amazon for under $9 last year. Really nice, especially orchestrally. BTW, Schreier stars as both Loge and Mime (though not at the same time) in Janowski's Ring. I also recently bought Sawallisch's Ring, but haven't listened to it much yet, except for spotchecking some orchestral highlights. Yes, I am one of those people for whom the orchestra is just as important as the singers. In fact, I see the singers as just additional instruments in the overall fabric of sound, so to speak. I didn't even check which singers are in that Ring. I just saw, Sawallisch, good, Bayerisches Staatsorchester, very good, let's order that.

PSmith08

Quote from: M forever on July 13, 2007, 09:36:52 AM
I have that, too. Actually, I have that 3 times because I simply couldn't resist when it was on amazon for under $9 last year. Really nice, especially orchestrally. BTW, Schreier stars as both Loge and Mime (though not at the same time) in Janowski's Ring. I also recently bought Sawallisch's Ring, but haven't listened to it much yet, except for spotchecking some orchestral highlights. Yes, I am one of those people for whom the orchestra is just as important as the singers. In fact, I see the singers as just additional instruments in the overall fabric of sound, so to speak. I didn't even check which singers are in that Ring. I just saw, Sawallisch, good, Bayerisches Staatsorchester, very good, let's order that.

Schreier's Mime is up there with Graham Clark for Barenboim, though I prefer his Loge because I like the character. He doesn't get as out of control as Clark (or even Heinz Zednik) does in that last monologue of Loge's in Rheingold, but there is some quiet menace there. Schreier is probably my favorite tenor, so I am probably biased, though.

I've never checked out Sawallisch's Ring, but if the price came down on it, I'd consider it. My music library is pretty light on the Sawallisch.

M forever

Quote from: PSmith08 on July 13, 2007, 10:19:50 AM
Schreier is probably my favorite tenor, so I am probably biased, though.

What? Not Pavarotti?

PSmith08

Bunny

Quote from: Bogey on July 13, 2007, 06:20:28 AM
FWIW, I emailed the powers that be with this question last summer.....here was the respnse:

Dear Bill,

Decca have not informed us of any plans to re-release or finish these discs. As you suggest it would be lovely to be able to complete the set. At this stage in a volatile recording market it is not viable for Decca to do so but we hope, as you do, that it may be a future possibility.

Regards,
Laura Milner
Administrator AAM

What an annoying letter!  Does no one check Ebay or Amazon to look at the prices used copies sell for?  I suppose we will have to wait for Eloquence to license them, and then mail order everything from Australia. ::)