Christopher Gunning (1944-2023) Symphonies, Concertos, and female Rippers

Started by Scion7, October 21, 2016, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I should give these a go. I have a disc with his Violin and Cello Concertos and a piece called Birdflight but I've hardly listened to it. Not out of lack of enjoyment. Just too much music out there and it got buried.

Symphonic Addict

Just found out this composer passed away on last Friday. Rest in peace.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Løvfald on March 25, 2023, 09:40:41 PMJust found out this composer passed away on last Friday. Rest in peace.

Awww, that's too bad.  I listened to his Symphony No. 10, 2, and 12 a few days ago and quite enjoyed it...perhaps more now than when I first heard it.  RIP.

Brian

I wondered about the increased recording attention to his "serious"/concert music in recent years, but the fact that so much of his work was recorded and published before he died is really very sweet and touching. He knew he was leaving a fuller legacy beyond TV and got the chance to share it. Hope that that brought him satisfaction in a life well-lived.

Will listen to some this week.

foxandpeng

This is sad news. My appreciation for Gunning is no secret, so his loss is unfortunate. Having recently spent some time with his symphonies, I'm convinced that he leaves a meaningful legacy - he may not stand at the very forefront of his craft, but he has much to offer anyone interested in contemporary British composers.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roy Bland

Real loss Hoping his last symphonies will be performed.Who knows exactly (i've seen on his web page but remain unclear) when Yorkshire Glory was composed ?wikipedia tells 1982 his web page 1989-90

Maestro267

I am legitimately shocked at a Google search to confirm his death. The only thing vaguely close to confirmation is that Wikipedia now gives him a death date. Not a single obituary from anywhere.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 27, 2023, 12:09:00 AMI am legitimately shocked at a Google search to confirm his death. The only thing vaguely close to confirmation is that Wikipedia now gives him a death date. Not a single obituary from anywhere.

I see musicweb has a blurb about it which probably indicates a thoughtful obituary is forthcoming.

Roy Bland

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on March 27, 2023, 05:43:41 AMI see musicweb has a blurb about it which probably indicates a thoughtful obituary is forthcoming.

Hopefully something sensitive and careful in the light of the difficulties of the last couple of years. Hard miles for both Christopher and his wife, Sveta. It's been sad to see the cumulative effect of poor health and hard circumstances upon them. They've both seemed somewhat vulnerable, so reading of Christopher's passing wasn't as surprising as it might have been.

Remembering his real contribution to serious and lighter music, and hopefully promoting current and future recordings is the best way to ensure his legacy and celebrate his life.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Kenneth Woods' warm reflection on the passing of Christopher Gunning...

https://kennethwoods.net/blog1/2023/03/27/rip-christopher-gunning/

Woods is one of the UK's foremost promoters and advocates of contemporary British classical music, so his continued warm endorsement of Gunning is all the more encouraging. Hoping that out of this sad news, the rest of his symphonies may be recorded.

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 11, 2023, 12:20:41 PMFrom The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/11/christopher-gunning-obituary

Good to read, thank you. I hadn't realised he was responsible for the Martini and Black Magic ads. Most importantly, he highlights the value of Gunning's orchestral music, which IMHO is extremely worthwhile. Super symphonies, in particular.

Tolstoy

pjme

It is with great sadness we announce the death of Christopher Gunning, who passed away on the 25th of March 2023 at the age of 78 after a long and courageous battle with kidney cancer. He died peacefully in his bed at his Hertfordshire house surrounded by everything Christopher adored – his wife, his children, his dog, his beloved Bechstein piano and a garden full of plants and trees, flowers and birds, all bursting with Spring song. Christopher nurtured his love of both music and nature throughout his life. He passed on his passions ardently, inspiring and delighting all who knew him through his quirky humour and, most of all, astounding creativity that seemed endless. While Christopher is gone, and the sorrow of his passing is immeasurable, his music remains – unfading and full of life.

https://www.christopher-gunning.co.uk/

Maestro267

Already been covering it for weeks in his Composer Discussion thread.

Harry

I am just in the process of discovering his music. But yes I already knew of his death, and mourn the loss of such a versatile composer. May he rest in peace, and granted the bliss of hearing his music coming up in the place he dwells in.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

pjme

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 12, 2023, 02:20:53 AMAlready been covering it for weeks in his Composer Discussion thread.

Sorry - I do not read everything. My post can be deleted!

Brian

I merged it instead because I found that memorial comment from his family to be particularly beautiful and didn't want to lose it (or Harry's reply). Hope that's OK. :)

pjme