The Best Of ...

Started by admiralackbar, December 18, 2012, 06:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admiralackbar

So, along with some new repertoire, one of my goals next year is to explore some of my favorite performers/conductors. I'd love to see a best of list from those of you that also enjoy these folks so I can get an idea of where to start.

Abbado and Boulez

Suggestions?

North Star

Boulez: Debussy (orchestral music, P&M), Ravel, Bartók, 2nd Viennese School, Varèse & Stravinsky, both on Sony and DG.
Abbado: Ravel (PC with Argerich), Brahms (concertos with Pollini & Shaham).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Boulez:

Bartok (Sony, DG)
Stravinsky recordings (Sony, DG)
Debussy (Sony, DG)
Ravel (Sony, DG)
Mahler (DG)
Bruckner Symphony No. 8 (DG)
The Second Viennese School: Schoenberg, Berg, Webern (Sony, DG)

Abbado:

Berg (DG, Vienna Philharmonic)
Stravinsky (DG, LSO)
Mendelssohn (DG, LSO)
Mahler (DG, various orchestras mainly BPO, VPO)
Mussorgsky (RCA, DG)
Ravel (DG)
Debussy (DG)
Bartok (DG)
Prokofiev (DG)

PaulSC

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

admiralackbar

Ah, I should have been more specific - mind recommending particular recordings rather than just "here's a composer Boulez / Abbado does really well with"?

Mirror Image

Quote from: admiralackbar on December 18, 2012, 10:07:06 AM
Ah, I should have been more specific - mind recommending particular recordings rather than just "here's a composer Boulez / Abbado does really well with"?

Look at my list, pick any recording, it'll be a good one. That's why I can't be specific, because I narrowed it down the best I could. :)

admiralackbar

Well, to be fair, I've been trying out Spotify today and... I think I might be hooked. And now those lists of "try everything of Boulez" actually works!

Wanderer

Indispensable Abbado:

[asin]B000001GS1[/asin][asin]B000002A9E[/asin][asin]B0000028MY[/asin][asin]B0000012WN[/asin][asin]B00000296U[/asin][asin]B00000J9G6[/asin][asin]B000001GYE[/asin][asin]B0000646IJ[/asin][asin]B0000012V3[/asin][asin]B00016MSZS[/asin](the whole cycle)

North Star

Quote from: Wanderer on December 18, 2012, 04:14:26 PM
Indispensable Abbado:
[asin]B000001GYE[/asin]
Hmmm. I only have this set with BPO, didn't remember that there are two sets. Do you know them both?
[asin]B00004R9F2[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Boulez:  all of his Mahler, and the Sony Debussy
Abbado:  the Beethoven PCs with Pollini and the BPO (originally released in 1994, then released again in 2007 with an extra: the Triple Concerto with the Simon Bolivar Orchestra of Venezuela,  albeit senza Pollini)
Most of his Mahler recordings I've heard I like, with the exception of the Second he did with the VPO.  The best one of these I consider to be the Seventh he did with the BPO, which is my favorite M7 of all.
And finally, any and all of his recordings with Orchestra Mozart.

betterthanfine

Quote from: Wanderer on December 18, 2012, 04:14:26 PM
Indispensable Abbado:

[asin]B000001GS1[/asin]

[asin]B0000028MY[/asin]
YES to both. The Strauss Burlesque on that second disc is to die for.

Also, the latest addition to the DG Originals series might be of interest:

[asin]B008NBEXNI[/asin]

Fine performances, the Debussy especially.

Out of personal interest, could anyone comment on Abbado's Pergolesi recordings?

betterthanfine

Almost forgot about this must-buy!

[asin]B001641ZFS[/asin]

admiralackbar

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations so far. I've become hooked on MOG and I've been adding Abbado and Boulez albums and box sets at lightning speed thanks to you! Keep 'em coming!