Seasonal Greetings

Started by vandermolen, December 24, 2012, 12:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Happy Christmas/Hanukkah etc from East Sussex,UK and every good wish for 2013 to everyone at GMG Forum.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Season's Greetings to all from Beijing! (I know we are warmer than Norway, but it is minus 16 for the past two nights and the high was about minus 5)

I am copying this post I just posted on the Kimi thread:

Christmas According to Kimi

It is Christmas Eve here in Beijing. I put on some Christmas music. But Kimi, who counts Beethoven, Rachmaninov and Bach as her favorite, objected: "I don't want to listen to Bach on Christmas. I want to listen to Buddhist mantra chants."

After we ate, I told her we are going to shop for her presents. She can pick what she wants.
"I will pick what I want first, and then what Kevin wants, what Lily wants, what Sarah wants..."
"Wait! We are only buying Christmas presents for you, Kimi."
"No! You have to buy one for everyone in my kindergarten class!"
"Why is that?"
"Most of them don't celebrate Christmas. So most of them won't have Christmas presents. So they won't be happy. Christmas won't be Christmas unless every kid is happy. So you have to buy one for everyone!"

So, I will soon be on my way to buy Christmas presents for everyone, while listening to Buddhist mantras in my car.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

The new erato

Quote from: springrite on December 24, 2012, 02:15:15 AM
Season's Greetings to all from Beijing! (I know we are warmer than Norway, but it is minus 16 for the past two nights and the high was about minus 5)

+6 C predicted for the evening here in Bergen.... ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on December 24, 2012, 02:15:15 AM

I am copying this post I just posted on the Kimi thread:

Christmas According to Kimi

It is Christmas Eve here in Beijing. I put on some Christmas music. But Kimi, who counts Beethoven, Rachmaninov and Bach as her favorite, objected: "I don't want to listen to Bach on Christmas. I want to listen to Buddhist mantra chants."

After we ate, I told her we are going to shop for her presents. She can pick what she wants.
"I will pick what I want first, and then what Kevin wants, what Lily wants, what Sarah wants..."
"Wait! We are only buying Christmas presents for you, Kimi."
"No! You have to buy one for everyone in my kindergarten class!"
"Why is that?"
"Most of them don't celebrate Christmas. So most of them won't have Christmas presents. So they won't be happy. Christmas won't be Christmas unless every kid is happy. So you have to buy one for everyone!"

So, I will soon be on my way to buy Christmas presents for everyone, while listening to Buddhist mantras in my car.

Kimi is generous hearted! Buddhist's Mantras sound good. Are there Taoist mantras I wonder?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays (a safe one!) to all GMGers.

May you enjoy a very festive holiday with all your beloved ones!  :)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

I wish every one a Merry Christmas, and a good rutsch into the new year. May health and happiness be the main ingredients in 2013 and long afterwards.

SonicMan46

Well, from North Carolina - HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!

I know that the pic below has been posted elsewhere, but worth a repeat - our menorah fully lit!  Dave  :)

North Star

Happy holidays, everyone!
Here's a view from the front balcony - a bit more snow now, though.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Elgarian

I'd also like to wish everyone here a very happy Christmas.

Karl Henning

Same to you, wi' knobs on, feller!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on December 24, 2012, 08:33:17 AM
Same to you, wi' knobs on, feller!

Dear Santa,

Please cancel my Christmas order for some things with knobs on, as I now have an abundance of them. Instead, send Karl something really nice.
Yours truly, etc...

marvinbrown

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL GMG MEMBERS!!!!!!

Will be listening to this Chistmas Day.......

[asin]B00009LW4Y[/asin]

marvin

madaboutmahler

Merry Christmas to everyone from here in England/Mahler land!! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I wish everyone to have a wonderful Christmas and all the best, from Italy!! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Gurn Blanston

Happy Solstice from Gurn and Kaergard. Last Friday was a lovely one to celebrate, despite those Mayan killjoys! May the Winter Season bring you all best, no matter your particular belief. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Holden

..Best wishes and Seasons Greetings from Australia to all at GMG
Cheers

Holden

AnthonyAthletic

Merry Christmas to all GMG Members!!!!

Salutations from the North West of England  ;D

Tony

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mirror Image

Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all my friends from Northeast Georgia on this cold, foggy, damp Christmas Eve night.

Hollywood

Happy Holidays from Vienna, Austria!

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).