Seasonal Greetings

Started by vandermolen, December 24, 2012, 12:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

MERRY CHRISTMAS OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! JOY TO THE WORLD!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Merry Christmas and season's greetings to all of you from sunny North Brittany  :D
Olivier

Brian

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 25, 2012, 02:05:48 AM
Merry Christmas and season's greetings to all of you from sunny North Brittany  :D

Ah, I see you have escaped winter in Suffolk, but have not gone too far!  ;D

Brahmsian

Merry Christmas from Winnipeg, Canada!  It's a cold, but beautiful day!

-26 Celcius, -36 Celcius with the windchill.  -15 Farenheit.  Balmy, for these parts of inhabitation!  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: Brian on December 25, 2012, 05:36:48 AM
Ah, I see you have escaped winter in Suffolk, but have not gone too far!  ;D

Not a huge departure, that's true  ;D
Olivier

DavidW

kishnevi

חג שמח 

(That's Happy Holiday, to alleviate the need to reach for Babelfish.)
Here in SoFla, we're predicted to get record high temperatures tomorrow, in the mid 80s F.  But we did get a blast of winter over the weekend,  with temps down in the 50s.  (Yes, that's cold by us.)

Florestan

I'll be away from the internet from tomorrow til January 2nd next year so I wish you all A Happy & Prosperous New Year, full of wonderful music!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Coopmv

Quote from: The new erato on December 24, 2012, 12:43:10 AM
Likewise from Norway!

Every year in Norway is a good year, unlike the US ...

springrite

Quote from: Coopmv on December 29, 2012, 07:43:34 AM
Every year in Norway is a good year, unlike the US ...

Instead of "The grass is greener", maybe we should say "The snow is whiter"?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pohjolas Daughter

A very Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate it!  :)  ❤️

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 08:05:49 AM
A very Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate it!  :)  ❤️

PD

Hi PD - Susan & I have a 'mixed' marriage, she being Jewish and I brought up as Catholic; but she likes to celebrate Hunukkah by lighting the candles on a menorah (actually I'm the controller of the shamash) - she has a collection of five menorahs (one not shown in the first pic a while ago); the top right image is our usually used menorah (fully lit after 8 nights); last year, she wanted to change, so the bottom pic is our newest and more 'modernistic' menorah fully lit a year ago.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 08:43:17 AM
Hi PD - Susan & I have a 'mixed' marriage, she being Jewish and I brought up as Catholic; but she likes to celebrate Hunukkah by lighting the candles on a menorah (actually I'm the controller of the shamash) - she has a collection of five menorahs (one not shown in the first pic a while ago); the top right image is our usually used menorah (fully lit after 8 nights); last year, she wanted to change, so the bottom pic is our newest and more 'modernistic' menorah fully lit a year ago.  Dave :)

Cool photos!  Nice that you can share and respect each other's faiths and holiday traditions.  :)

Here:  debating how much decorating for Christmas to do this year.  Currently taking a short break before going back to debunnyfying the living room, etc.  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 08:57:55 AM
Cool photos!  Nice that you can share and respect each other's faiths and holiday traditions.  :)

Here:  debating how much decorating for Christmas to do this year.  Currently taking a shot break before going back to debunnyfying the living room, etc.  ::)

PD

Well, when our son lived w/ us, he got a small toy each night of Hanukkah, and we also did a Christmas tree when he would get a bunch of more substantial presents - now with just the two of us (and of course Susan never having celebrated Christmas), we do no decorating.  BUT, there is a tradition here in Winston-Salem, which started out in the 1760s in the Moravian community of Salem - current Moravians (and others who are not but like the tradition) will put up a lighted Moravian star (see below) usually at the doorway and often will also place white candles in each window of the house - makes for a pleasant appearance at night; our two neighbors (not Moravian) follow the tradition.  Dave :)

QuoteA Moravian star (German: Herrnhuter Stern) is an illuminated Advent, Christmas, or Epiphany decoration popular in Germany and in places in Europe and America where there are Moravian congregations, notably the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania and the area surrounding Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The stars take their English name from the Moravian Church, originating in Moravia. In Germany, they are known as Herrnhut stars, named after the Moravian Mother Community in Saxony, Germany, where they were first commercially produced.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 09:23:15 AM
Well, when our son lived w/ us, he got a small toy each night of Hanukkah, and we also did a Christmas tree when he would get a bunch of more substantial presents - now with just the two of us (and of course Susan never having celebrated Christmas), we do no decorating.  BUT, there is a tradition here in Winston-Salem, which started out in the 1760s in the Moravian community of Salem - current Moravians (and others who are not but like the tradition) will put up a lighted Moravian star (see below) usually at the doorway and often will also place white candles in each window of the house - makes for a pleasant appearance at night; our two neighbors (not Moravian) follow the tradition.  Dave :)
Lovely tradition!  I also love seeing white candles in the windows.  :)

I have a neighbor whose husband brought with him his tradition of placing lit candles in their Christmas tree; and yes, house is still standing!  :D

Also, just realized that I had created a typo in my original reply to you (now fixed in my posting).  I had mentioned about taking a "short break" from cleaning, but had left out the "r"!  :-[  lol.  Now working on lunch and then back to cleaning.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Lovely! Does my heart good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot