Insights, Snippets, Quotes, Epiphanies & All That Sort of Things

Started by Wakefield, December 30, 2012, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

If you think your job is pointless consider that somewhere in Germany is a man putting turn signals on BMWs.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on October 27, 2019, 07:07:52 PM
If you think your job is pointless consider that somewhere in Germany is a man putting turn signals on BMWs.

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

The enemy of Art is the absence of limitation
~Orson Welles
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Though I'm not much a fan of wisdom quotes, occasionally I come across words to live by in these troubled times.

How gullible are you? Is your gullibility located in some "gullibility center" in your brain? Could a neurosurgeon reach in and perform some delicate operation to lower your gullibility, otherwise leaving you alone? If you believe this, you are pretty gullible, and should perhaps consider such an operation. - Douglas Hofstadter

Does Medicare cover it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

Quote from: drogulus on December 21, 2019, 08:19:41 AM
     Though I'm not much a fan of wisdom quotes, occasionally I come across words to live by in these troubled times.

How gullible are you? Is your gullibility located in some "gullibility center" in your brain? Could a neurosurgeon reach in and perform some delicate operation to lower your gullibility, otherwise leaving you alone? If you believe this, you are pretty gullible, and should perhaps consider such an operation. - Douglas Hofstadter

Does Medicare cover it?

Funny you should bring this up on National Gullibility Day ;).

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 21, 2019, 07:57:48 AM
The enemy of Art is the absence of limitation
~Orson Welles
This must be next level thinking here (you can only arrive at this by realizing first how you have to be limitless for art).

I can only guess that it's a reference to creating a particular style- what you don't do is as important as what you do.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

steve ridgway

Quote from: greg on December 21, 2019, 10:42:58 AM
This must be next level thinking here (you can only arrive at this by realizing first how you have to be limitless for art).

I can only guess that it's a reference to creating a particular style- what you don't do is as important as what you do.

Oh, limitation - I read it first time as imitation :-[.

Karl Henning

Quote from: greg on December 21, 2019, 10:42:58 AM

To be sure, it's an imperfect apothegm. You're right: freedom is necessary to the artist. Some artists do better work when there are limitations, than when their freedom is absolute.

As I read them: I just offered two contradictory aphorisms. Maybe it's a yin/yan deal ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 23, 2019, 11:39:12 AM
Some artists do better work when there are limitations, than when their freedom is absolute.
Yep.
I'm definitely the latter. And I think it extends into everything else also.

drogulus

Q: Why is there something rather than nothing?

A: Because the Universe is mediocre.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

drogulus

greg

https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/guess-your-iq/

Anyone else wanna try this and see if it works or not for them?

Because the weird thing is... it was extremely close for me. I don't know how.  ???

Florestan

Quote from: greg on March 01, 2020, 08:16:30 PM
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/guess-your-iq/

Anyone else wanna try this and see if it works or not for them?

I don't know if it's true or not because I never took any real IQ test. I can only hope it's quite close to reality.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

Quote from: Florestan on March 02, 2020, 12:00:17 AM

I don't know if it's true or not because I never took any real IQ test. I can only hope it's quite close to reality.  :D
Aww ok the mensa practice test I think is like $10... no good free ones available.

None of these questions are related to iq so I'm wondering how they guessed within 3 points... but...

One question is Bach or Handel... So at least for that one I can tell choosing Bach would have helped my score. :D

btw surely this isn't thread relevant but i didn't want to make another and this test is.... ahem, "insight"ful?

Florestan

Quote from: greg on March 02, 2020, 06:57:58 AM
One question is Bach or Handel... So at least for that one I can tell choosing Bach would have helped my score. :D

Wrong. Just for fun, I took the test a second time and gave different answers than the first time, for instance choosing Bach over Handel, Beethoven over Mozart and Chopin instead of Tchaikovsky. The result was 103.  ;D

I also took the test where they claim to guess your age based on musical preferences. They gave me 1987, which is belated by 15 years, so there.  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

Quote from: Florestan on March 02, 2020, 07:02:49 AM
Wrong. Just for fun, I took the test a second time and gave different answers than the first time, for instance choosing Bach over Handel, Beethoven over Mozart and Chopin instead of Tchaikovsky. The result was 103.  ;D

I also took the test where they claim to guess your age based on musical preferences. They gave me 1987, which is belated by 15 years, so there.  :D
Those were all of my choices lol so you must have chosen the low score option for the rest then. 😵

Never tried that second test though that is my birth year even if it's 99% closer to 1988...

JBS

As a child/teen, my IQ was measured at 140+. Normalized to an equivalent figure today would supposedly put it at about 125-130.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

Quote from: JBS on March 02, 2020, 08:20:31 AM

As a child/teen, my IQ was measured at 140+. Normalized to an equivalent figure today would supposedly put it at about 125-130.
:o
Ok so this test must be bogus then.  ;D

Is it normal to fall over adulthood? You didn't smoke pot for years, did you?

If it is normal, now wishing I knew my score as a kid because since we are about the same score today then maybe it was that high before? (side note: I'm not a pot smoker but it supposedly can reduce your score a little over time though I'm a bit skeptical of how they did the study on this).

Sooo i wonder if the racing thoughts while trying to fall asleep is truly caused by biological clock or just an overpowered brain? There's so many downsides to this... and causes issues. Last week was pretty bad due to my inability to wake up early.

What is your natural bedtime/wake time?