Insights, Snippets, Quotes, Epiphanies & All That Sort of Things

Started by Wakefield, December 30, 2012, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on April 20, 2019, 12:33:24 PM
And very much to my taste these days.

You're a man after my own heart --- not that I needed any further proof for it, but still --- I'm glad to say it.  8)

I'd love a big box of Onslow ...

Me too  --- Brilliant Classics, are you there?  :)

Absent that, I have a lot of Onslow recordings --- and not a single one that disappointed me.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on April 21, 2019, 07:55:53 AM
You're a man after my own heart --- not that I needed any further proof for it, but still --- I'm glad to say it.  8)

Me too  --- Brilliant Classics, are you there?  :)

Absent that, I have a lot of Onslow recordings --- and not a single one that disappointed me.

Alas I have almost no Onslow. And he is never cheap. That suggests the demand exits for a box!
I have been listening to a lot of Spohr recently too. The symphonies are no match for Schumann but better than their reputation. The chamber music is all wonderful.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on April 21, 2019, 08:08:03 AM
Alas I have almost no Onslow. And he is never cheap. That suggests the demand exits for a box!
I have been listening to a lot of Spohr recently too. The symphonies are no match for Schumann but better than their reputation. The chamber music is all wonderful.

YHM.

Florestan

Grieg's music continues to enjoy a prominent place in the concert hall and recording catalogues, but has yet to attract sustained
analytical attention in Anglo-American scholarship.
---

Daniel M. Grimley --- Grieg: Music, Landscape and Norwegian Identity

This is, in my view, the clearest indictment of musicology*: what people like to hear is not at all what scholars like to analyze. Prominent places in the concert hall and recording catalogues are awarded by people, not by scholars --- and God be praised for that.

*apart from this classic: "A musicologist can read music but he can't hear it"...  ;D

Florestan

Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part. --- Claude Debussy

Amen!

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on April 21, 2019, 08:08:03 AM

May I suggest
[asin]B01IC1VV7Y[/asin]
Also the two following installments which have been reached so far.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

There are about 8 Onslow chamber music discs on cpo at moderate prices (6-10 EUR/CD) and all of his symphonies as well.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

Thanks for the Onslow suggestions. Steps have been taken...

Florestan

Those who despise Italian music, who also break the rod over this type of Opera, will not escape their well-deserved punishment in hell some day, and may be condemned, perhaps, to listen for all eternity to the fugues of Sebastian Bach and nothing else. - Heinrich Heine

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 02, 2019, 10:31:22 AM
Those who despise Italian music, who also break the rod over this type of Opera, will not escape their well-deserved punishment in hell some day, and may be condemned, perhaps, to listen for all eternity to the fugues of Sebastian Bach and nothing else. - Heinrich Heine

You've been beating this dead horse for quite some time. Time to give it a rest? :)

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 02, 2019, 10:39:21 AM
You've been beating this dead horse for quite some time. Time to give it a rest? :)

If I derive much pleasure from it, and if it make my days, in this life, why should I give it a rest? Is there an afterlife?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 02, 2019, 10:43:59 AM
If I derive much pleasure from it, and if it make my days, in this life, why should I give it a rest? Is there an afterlife?

I'm not talking about listening to banal music. Have at it. I'm talking about hectoring us about why we should value banal music. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 02, 2019, 10:46:39 AM
I'm not talking about listening to banal music. Have at it. I'm talking about hectoring us about why we should value banal music. :)

If what you really inferred from my post is that you should value banal music then you are not able to understand even the simplest English I am capable of. Mark my words, buddy:  never did I say or imply that Rossini['s music is banal, nor that you should like Rossini's music.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on May 02, 2019, 11:00:27 AM
If what you really inferred from my post is that you should value banal music then you are not able to understand even the simplest English I am capable of. Mark my words, buddy:  never did I say or imply that Rossini['s music is banal, nor that you should like Rossini's music.
Some people Andrei simply object that anyone has values or vantage points that differ from their own. I think we have seen that on two threads today.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 02, 2019, 11:00:27 AM

Sorry, banal was not the right word.

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 02, 2019, 08:38:19 PM
Sorry, banal was not the right word.

My objection --- admittedly a bit of overreaction --- was not to using "banal" with respect to Rossini's music (deosn't bother me in the least, to each his own), but to the notion that I force you, or anybody else, to listen to it. I just find that Heine quote amusing, that's all.

geralmar

"That's the most unheard of thing I ever heard of."

-- Senator Joseph McCarthy

Ken B

Quote from: geralmar on May 03, 2019, 05:55:03 PM
"That's the most unheard of thing I ever heard of."

-- Senator Joseph McCarthy

I never said most of the things I said. — Yogi Berra

Jo498

The Heine is in fact amusing. He was one of the most witty writers in German (wittyness is not really our strength). He was not above poking fun at a piece he apparently found trite himself (although it was mostly its ubiquity that got him) like the Jungfernkranz song from Freischütz.

(German only)
https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Der_Jungfernkranz

But it's certainly interesting that ca. 1830 without the easy availability of music and Bach still being a specialized taste there were sufficiently many connoisseurs of Bach Fugues that Heine could use it as an example for an "exalted taste". One would have expected Mozart or maybe Cherubini in opera or Beethoven in general as more obvious contrasts to Rossini.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

Tyrion walks into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.

Madame:
What can we do for you?

Tyrion:
I need a woman to lay with, for mine has left me.

Madame:
Whatever for? And what's with the honeycomb and the mule?

Tyrion:
My woman found a genie in a bottle, and he granted her three wishes.
The first was for a house fit for a queen, so he gave her this honeycomb.
The second wish was that she have the nicest ass in all the land, so he gave her this donkey.

Madame:
And what about the third wish?

Tyrion:
That my cock hang down to my knee.

Madame:
Well that one's not so bad eh?

Tyrion:
I used to be six foot three!