Quote"Do you own a cat?"
"No, a dog"
"So you hate cats?"
"No I just prefer dogs"
"But dogs hate cats"
"Yes but that doesn't represent me"
"But you chose to own a creature which hates cats"
"I chose the dog because I love dogs, not because they hate cats"
"But you knew it hated cats when you bought it didn't you so how can you argue that you don't have some form of animosity towards cats?"
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Olivier

greg

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2019, 12:19:30 AM
This is a sexist, possibly homophobic question.  ;D
Or maybe it's a xhe/xher? Ah, forgot that one.  :P

(I honestly can't tell at all).
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Florestan

Quote from: greg on May 23, 2019, 05:37:53 AM
Or maybe it's a xhe/xher? Ah, forgot that one.  :P

I think it's zer. We should ask Jordan Peterson.  :D

(I honestly can't tell at all).

Neither can I, nor do I care.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wakefield

QuoteRossetti makes the remark somewhere, bitterly but with great truth, that the worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.

-- G.K. Chesterton: St. Francis of Assisi, chapter 5, "Le Jongleur de Dieu" (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1933), 88.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

drogulus

QuoteRossetti makes the remark somewhere, bitterly but with great truth, that the worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.

Thankful atheists are the least likely to thank no one. It's a bitter great falsehood.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Wakefield

Quote from: drogulus on August 15, 2019, 06:48:24 PM
     Thankful atheists are the least likely to thank no one. It's a bitter great falsehood.

As an aside, I searched for that Rossetti's quotation; but it's a misattribution or merely a Chesterton joke, I don't know. At least, it seems that thanking is good for our health, according to positive psychology (gratitude-attitude and all of that).  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

drogulus

Quote from: Gordo on August 15, 2019, 07:19:20 PM
As an aside, I searched for that Rossetti's quotation; but it's a misattribution or merely a Chesterton joke, I don't know. At least, it seems that thanking is good for our health, according to positive psychology (gratitude-attitude and all of that).  :)

I would thank you for that but I'm an atheist.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Wakefield

Quote from: drogulus on August 15, 2019, 07:47:26 PM
      I would thank you for that but I'm an atheist.

Rossetti (or Chesterton) doesn't say atheists are ungrateful people, but that they don't have anybody to thank in a cosmic level. Here at a domestic level, I'll receive your thanks to allowing you to train your gratitude attitude, good atheist.  ;D
-- Voltaire

prémont

Quote from: Gordo on August 16, 2019, 05:20:23 AM
Rossetti (or Chesterton) doesn't say atheists are ungrateful people, but that they don't have anybody to thank in a cosmic level.

Thank God that there is no one to thank.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 16, 2019, 05:41:40 AM
Thank God that there is n one to thank.  :)

Somebody has to do the work!  :P

P.S.: I didn't find any answer worthy of your typographic skills!  ;D
-- Voltaire

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Gordo on August 16, 2019, 05:54:46 AM
Somebody has to do the work!  :P

I can go so far as to say:

Gosh knows if there is anybody to thank.  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 16, 2019, 07:03:18 AM
I can go so far as to say:

Gosh knows if there is anybody to thank.  8)

At some degree, I agree with you. All of this it's quite mysterious.

I have always liked a lot that Jewish legend of the 36 righteous men:

https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2012/05/19/the-legend-of-the-36-righteous-men/

Leon Bloy wrote it down admirably too:

QuoteI recall one of my oldest ideas. The Czar is the leader and spiritual father of a hundred fifty million men. An atrocious responsibility which is only apparent. Perhaps he is not responsible to God, but rather to a few human beings. If the poors of his empire are pressed during his reign, if immense catastrophes result from that reign, who knows if the servant charged with shining his boots is not the real and sole person guilty? In the mysterious dispositions of the Profundity, who is really Czar, who is king, who can boast of being a mere servant?

:)
-- Voltaire

Florestan