Insights, Snippets, Quotes, Epiphanies & All That Sort of Things

Started by Wakefield, December 30, 2012, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on February 03, 2015, 11:48:09 AM
Things are clear now. Bacon was actually quoting St. Paul word by word without directly naming him (we have better oracles is an obvious allusion, though) because he need not do it. Any reader of the Essays at the time of their publication would have been able to make the connection. Not so with the compiler of the Bacon quotes on Wikiquote. He printed the words of St. Paul in bold type, as if they were Bacon's own contribution to the topic.  :D

Agreed. No-one now knows Paul. Yet it is odd to see you of all people here applauding this progress.

;)

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on February 03, 2015, 11:53:25 AM
No-one now knows Paul.

You´re wrong. Many still do. I, for instance, was able to spot the reference on the spot (pun intended).  ;D

it is odd natural to see you of all people here applauding deploring this progress regress.

Fixed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on February 02, 2015, 01:13:14 PM
Fair enough, but like millions and millions of people today, Mme de Staël travelled as a displaced person rather than engaging in a leisure activity.

That she was forced into exile is true, although her quarrelsome and self-righteous nature played perhaps a greater part in her conflict with Napoleon than her political principles. Yet to compare her life at Coppet or her travels in Europe and England to the dire predicament of, say, Syrians or Iraquis today is rather exagerated, methinks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2015, 01:25:20 AM
That she was forced into exile is true, although her quarrelsome and self-righteous nature played perhaps a greater part in her conflict with Napoleon than her political principles. Yet to compare her life at Coppet or her travels in Europe and England to the dire predicament of, say, Syrians or Iraquis today is rather exagerated, methinks.

Certainly I was not making such a comparison. Nevertheless, not being able to return to ones homeland is unsettling. Hopefully, you have never had to seek political asylum. Her principles played a much greater part than you think - as a popular saying went, around 1814, there are three great powers in Europe: Russia, England and Mdme. de Staël. Her views and writings on nationality were anathema to Napoleon.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Florestan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on February 04, 2015, 02:58:02 AM
not being able to return to ones homeland is unsettling.

Absolutely no argument. One of the greatest misfortune that can befell someone.

Hopefully, you have never had to seek political asylum.

I haven´t indeed, but neither has Mme de Stael. She just went to her family estate at Coppet, without having to ask for the permission of anyone.  :)

Her principles played a much greater part than you think - as a popular saying went, around 1814, there are three great powers in Europe: Russia, England and Mdme. de Staël. Her views and writings on nationality were anathema to Napoleon.

I am aware of all that*, I was just exaggerating in my turn, in order to make a point.  :)

Still... The harshest action Napoleon took against her, though, was forbidding her to reside at less than 40 leagues away from Paris. And when she defiantly braved the interdiction she was able to live in Paris undisturbed for quite some time.  :)

(* in terms of practical politics and diplomacy, though, Talleyrand was far more powerful than her. Just saying)

EDIT: typos

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2015, 03:45:50 AM

Still... The harshest action Napoleon took against her, though, was forbidding her to reside at less than 40 leagues away from Paris. And when she defiantly braved the interdiction she was able to live in Paris undisturbed for quite some time.

In terms of practical politics and diplomacy, though, Talleyrand was far more powerful than her. Just saying.

That was in 1802-3. Napoleon exiled her from France entirely in 1810, although that is later than the quotation in question. Coppet was a family property but, attractive as it might be, it was not home.
Sayings are not necessarily factual but are merely an indication of opinion. She had no power of action, only the power of influence.

Florestan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on February 04, 2015, 06:27:05 AM
That was in 1802-3. Napoleon exiled her from France entirely in 1810, although that is later than the quotation in question. Coppet was a family property but, attractive as it might be, it was not home.
Sayings are not necessarily factual but are merely an indication of opinion. She had no power of action, only the power of influence.

Hey, you really love her, don´t you? Is your name Benjamin Constant, by any chance?  :P

Wakefield

http://www.youtube.com/v/i2CgUIrBHoo

I haven't confirmed at all these "facts" about WW1; but some of them are quite impressive.

However, as I consider some dose of skepticism a good intellectual trait; at least, the "fact" placed as number one has caught my eye:

QuoteThe Armistice was signed at 5 AM on November 11, 1918 but ceasefire only came into effect at 11 AM.
Nearly 11,000 pointless casualties occurred that day - the equivalent of total Allied casualties on D-Day in WW2

I think it looks weird, isn't it? 11,000 people died in 6 hours of the morning, at the end of the war? Will be this an accurate account?  ???
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on February 03, 2015, 10:40:33 AM
But as I say, good writers borrow, great writers steal. ;)

Quote from: Ken B on February 03, 2015, 11:16:29 AM
I've heard that before!

This was a kind response.

My first inclination was to write: "I have never heard that before."  :P ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Miguel de Unamuno

These terrible sociologists, who are the astrologers and alchemists of our twentieth century.

Faith which does not doubt is dead faith.

There is no tyranny in the world more hateful than that of ideas. Ideas bring ideophobia, and the consequence is that people begin to persecute their neighbors in the name of ideas. I loathe and detest all labels, and the only label that I could now tolerate would be that of ideoclast or idea breaker.

The man of flesh and bone; the man who is born, suffers, and dies—above all, who dies; the man who eats and drinks and plays and sleeps and thinks and wills; the man who is seen and heard; the brother, the real brother.

To believe in God is to yearn for His existence and, furthermore, it is to act as if He did exist.

Warmth, warmth, more warmth! for we are dying of cold and not of darkness. It is not the night that kills, but the frost.

Over all civilizations there hovers the shadow of Ecclesiastes, with his admonition, "How dieth the wise man? — as the fool"

Florestan

It´s always easier to deceive a collectivity than an individual.- Pio Baroja

Florestan

Perhaps the most urgent educational work in the world is to convince people that their greatest ennemies are those who promise them the impossible. - Ramiro de Maeztu

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordo on February 04, 2015, 07:22:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/i2CgUIrBHoo

I haven't confirmed at all these "facts" about WW1; but some of them are quite impressive.

However, as I consider some dose of skepticism a good intellectual trait; at least, the "fact" placed as number one has caught my eye:

I think it looks weird, isn't it? 11,000 people died in 6 hours of the morning, at the end of the war? Will be this an accurate account?  ???

Casualties is a term that includes not merely killed but also wounded, captured , or missing in action.  In the context, 11,000 could included an unknown number of men named Hans or Jean who decided not to wait for official orders to demobilize, or surrendered to the Allies in advance of 1100 hours.

Wakefield

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 04, 2015, 04:59:57 PM
Fuller details, although this site gives the figure as 10,000.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/november_11_1918.htm

Thanks, Jeffrey. It's a very interesting link.

BTW, under current parameters, Pershing's decisions and statements sound as plainly criminal.  :( 
-- Voltaire

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2015, 06:31:16 AM
Hey, you really love her, don´t you? Is your name Benjamin Constant, by any chance?  :P

She would have been far too much for me. ;)

North Star

Quote from: Edgar Degas. a remark to E. Rouart in 1904; as quoted in Renoir – his life and work, Francois Fosca, Book Club Associates. Thames and Hudson Ltd, London 1975, p. 274You must aim high, not in what you are going to do at some future date, but in what you are going to make yourself do to-day. Otherwise, working is just a waste of time.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

After a sumptuous Sunday lunch, I guess this quote is quite appropriate:

Quote"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas", i.e., "In wine there is truth, in water there is health."

Its source isn't clear, but an early reference is found in Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia:)
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on February 15, 2015, 10:33:22 AM
After a sumptuous Sunday lunch, I guess this quote is quite appropriate:

Its source isn't clear, but an early reference is found in Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia:)
It certainly wasn't appropriate after the fall of Roman empire for quite a while, though.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr