Mercury Living Presence-Tchaikovsky SYM: 1, 2, and 3

Started by AberyClark, January 15, 2013, 05:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AberyClark

I picked this 2 cd set up at a used bookstore. This performance is not included in my MLP box set. I'm really amazed at the sound quality of the MLP series. It's hard to believe this disc was recorded in 1958 and 1965. Wonderfull!!

springrite

Quote from: AberyClark on January 15, 2013, 05:32:44 AM
I picked this 2 cd set up at a used bookstore. This performance is not included in my MLP box set. I'm really amazed at the sound quality of the MLP series. It's hard to believe this disc was recorded in 1958 and 1965. Wonderfull!!

Indeed. I would much prefer having this disc in the box instead of the Civil War music and the Flamingo stuff.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

AberyClark

The flamingo and Civil War stuff is a bit heavy in the box

Bogey

Quote from: AberyClark on January 15, 2013, 11:27:53 AM
The flamingo and Civil War stuff is a bit heavy in the box

Cannons can have that effect. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

Not MLP, but I highly recommend Dorati's recordings of the Orchestral Suites.  Curiously under-recorded works.

I have the symphonies on some pretty iffy vinyl copies.

AberyClark

Quote from: Daverz on January 15, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
Not MLP, but I highly recommend Dorati's recordings of the Orchestral Suites.  Curiously under-recorded works.

I have the symphonies on some pretty iffy vinyl copies.

I'm wondering if the civil war music was so heavy handed in the box because of the powerful "cannon" type dominance. Today, with so many people having sub woofers, the label thought including so much would be a good idea. I noticed the flamingo stuff has very good stereo soundstage (really wide).