Middle C

Started by snyprrr, October 05, 2012, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

>:D >:D >:D

Y'know,.. y'know when you thought you knew, and then you changed, and then realized that you were right the first time? Well, before I pop a gasket, can we please declare with all certainty and rectitude of fortitude, that THIS IS MIDDLE F****** C!!:

1) The note THROUGH the first leger line under the staff,

2) On a guitar:

X
X
X
X
X

Some people think you can't KNOW anything, but I am tooting determined to KNOW Middle C holmes. DO YOU CONFIRM OR DENY? 8)

Middle Flippin' C

Madiel

Quote from: snyprrr on October 05, 2012, 09:01:26 PM
1) The note THROUGH the first leger line under the staff,

Only if you are using a treble clef.  :P
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

snyprrr

jochanaan

On a guitar, isn't middle C the first fret on the B string?
Imagination + discipline = creativity

ibanezmonster

Lol, I just saw this.
Yep, this thread was a result of me trying to read snyprr's score while very tired. Let's all forget this ever happened...  :P :-X

snyprrr

Quote from: jochanaan on October 18, 2012, 05:10:12 PM
On a guitar, isn't middle C the first fret on the B string?

http://johncomino.tripod.com/middlec.htm

I too was hoping this would go away, but here it it.

If you are writing piano music, and, on the piano, are playing the tone you hear when a guitar plays 5th string/3rd fret, you will write that tone an octave lower than if you were writing that same music FOR guitar.

It is something designed to confuse and divide, not edify and unite. I'm  a uniter, not a divider! ;)

jochanaan

Quote from: snyprrr on October 21, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
http://johncomino.tripod.com/middlec.htm

I too was hoping this would go away, but here it it.

If you are writing piano music, and, on the piano, are playing the tone you hear when a guitar plays 5th string/3rd fret, you will write that tone an octave lower than if you were writing that same music FOR guitar.

It is something designed to confuse and divide, not edify and unite. I'm  a uniter, not a divider! ;)
Oh!  I was thinking "second string from top" with regard to pitch, not actual position on the guitar!  Silly me! ;D

I believe, although I've never tried to confirm this, that they originally started writing guitar music this way so that it could all be on one clef.  If you wrote guitar music as it sounds, you'd be constantly changing clefs (as cellos and bassoons actually do!); but writing it an octave higher than it actually sounds makes it possible to stay in the treble clef, and thus reduce "treble" in reading. ;)

snyprrr

Quote from: jochanaan on October 23, 2012, 01:45:34 PM
Oh!  I was thinking "second string from top" with regard to pitch, not actual position on the guitar!  Silly me! ;D

I believe, although I've never tried to confirm this, that they originally started writing guitar music this way so that it could all be on one clef.  If you wrote guitar music as it sounds, you'd be constantly changing clefs (as cellos and bassoons actually do!); but writing it an octave higher than it actually sounds makes it possible to stay in the treble clef, and thus reduce "treble" in reading. ;)

So I thought this was going to go away. >:D

APPARENTLY!!!... the guitar notation is written 'normal', BUT SOOOOUNDS an octave lower than written (same with bass guitar)...

ok, that explains why Middle C on the piano sounds an octave higher than Middle C on a guitar.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! >:D WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END???

Well,... NOW I feel confident that this Topic has been laid to rest for eternity. 8)

jochanaan

Quote from: snyprrr on December 30, 2012, 09:11:04 AM
So I thought this was going to go away. >:D

APPARENTLY!!!... the guitar notation is written 'normal', BUT SOOOOUNDS an octave lower than written (same with bass guitar)...

ok, that explains why Middle C on the piano sounds an octave higher than Middle C on a guitar.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! >:D WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END???

Well,... NOW I feel confident that this Topic has been laid to rest for eternity. 8)
You know what they say about overconfidence. >:D ;D

71 dB

C C C

The red one is middle C.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

flyffdzd